No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this is my first time doing any kind of serious gardening so I’m pretty ignorant and I’ve got a question.

Why do y’all pick your tomatoes so green? Aren’t they better if left on the vine to ripen?

Comment

I pick mine when they first start turning a little because I have a mockingbird that sits around waiting to drill holes in them

Comment

I’m pulling about 20 cherry tomatoes a day and these two plants keep cranking them out

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
          Ok, this is my first time doing any kind of serious gardening so I’m pretty ignorant and I’ve got a question.

Why do y’all pick your tomatoes so green? Aren’t they better if left on the vine to ripen?
          Most pick a little green for several reasons:

Bugs and critters love nice red tomatoes.

Pick them early to save them from over ripping or splitting.

Extended storage life.

I like to let mine ripen on the plant a little more to a orange color.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

I pick mine when they are green, or starting to darken. Because the moment they turn the slightest red...the birds ruin them. I have lost at least 20 this season already because I let them get red on the vine.

Comment

I pick them when they blush or have the slightest color to them…typically on the bottom side.
              I don’t want to feed the Rats, birds amd rabbits.

The blushing tomatoes will ripen in the house.

I cannot tell the difference in taste between a vine ripen and a house ripen tomato.

Comment

Onions were planted early and held their own through the freeze. Best onions we’ve had in years. Getting tomatoes every single day. Garden is coming together this year.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                  I pick them when they blush or have the slightest color to them…typically on the bottom side.

I cannot tell the difference in taste between a vine ripen and a house ripen tomato.
                  This

Comment

Good to know guys, thanks. I’ve been lucky so far, but I’ll know what to do if mine start getting attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post

This. Let them finish ripening on the counter and put them in the fridge when ripe and the cold temp will stop the ripening process.

Comment

Cut flower garden is doing great!

Melons are off to a weak start but finally coming in.

Pulled my last bit of carrots for the market today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been seeing discussions here where some of you guys plant a summer cover crop in your garden. Usually plant rye for winter but never planted a summer cover. I have put in some black eyed peas but want to try Alfalfa. Questions: Is it too hot now to plant alfalfa? I have ordered seeds from Hancock seeds before for the lease and they have alfalfa, My local feed store doesn't carry it. They have several varieties which they say is good for Texas. Kinda pricey though. How about it? Time to plant now? Any particular variety? Any where in the B'port area I can get seeds locally? Are all alfalfa seed that $$$ ($ 49 for 5 lbs)? Thanks in advance for replies.
                          PS, I'm south of Houston.

Comment

This is my first year trying raised beds. I bought bedding plants this year, from our local nursery. So next spring I'm thinking about getting more serious. So what seed companies do you serious gardeners buy from ?

Comment

Spent the morning preparing my pumpkin patch and cleaning up some of my played out crops.

Any body use a beaver tractor? Looking at on Craigslist.

Comment

Cucumber vines are rockin' it. Making about 10 jars of pickles per week.

I killed three squash bugs this morning and have a bunch of these little guys everywhere. What are they? I sprayed all leaves (both sides) with Triazicide. We'll see what that does.
                                What are they?
                                How bad will they wreck the vines?
                                Best method of control?

I hate knowing I'm killing bees, but I also prefer eating pickles over bees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X