2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Gardening Thread

I am curious what y'all still have going and what you are planning on for your spring beds.

Winter garden: sugar snap peas, snow peas, collards, mustards, still going strong. some carrots, some beats, some radishes, and a little rainbow chard left also along with various salad greens.

Spring garden: Green beans and tomatoes for sure. not sure what varieties yet though, early girl and cherokee purples will be there.

What varieties of tomatoes do y'all like? I think I remember a bunch of guys from last year's thread liking juliets as a cherry variety. Our Early girl did great last year and cherokee purples were the best beefsteak variety we planted for yield and flavor. We had a brandy wine that was very good, but didn't get too many from it.

Good luck to everyone!

I planted radish's, snow peas, snap peas, carrots, Detroit Red Beets, bunching onions, Russian Kale and Dinosaur kale about 2 weeks ago. Radish's are already 3" high and the peas have broke ground.
    This new years resolution was to eat less meat and more vegatables, so I am working on garden expansion and higher turn.

Comment

Iv got some Carolina reaper seeds coming in the mail, thats as close as iv got lol

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
        Iv got some Carolina reaper seeds coming in the mail, thats as close as iv got lol
        Where did you order yours from?

Comment

Still have turnips, radishes, mustard, and collard greens going strong.
          As far as quantity tomatoes, I have had the best luck with Celebrity.
          I will be planting tomatoes, sugar snap peas, purple hull peas, green beans, corn, squash, cucumber, and several types of peppers this spring.
          I am ready for some warm weather!

Comment

Mostly greens and lettuce for us right now. I already ate all my radishes. Now is the time to plant your trees too. I just put in a peach and fig.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
              Where did you order yours from?
              Ebay.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                Now is the time to plant your trees too. I just put in a peach and fig.
                Good reminder! I need to figure out a replacement for a diseased oak in the front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                  Still have turnips, radishes, mustard, and collard greens going strong.
                  As far as quantity tomatoes, I have had the best luck with Celebrity.
                  I will be planting tomatoes, sugar snap peas, purple hull peas, green beans, corn, squash, cucumber, and several types of peppers this spring.
                  I am ready for some warm weather!
                  Yep, another vote for Celebrity tomatoes. It was insane the amount of tomatoes that I got from two plants last year. I had cherokee purple plants also but think that I am going all celebrity this year. I will also plant jalapenos, squash, zukinni, cucumbers, onions, and okra.

Comment

What are you guys doing to keep the birds and the bugs away? I have never had a successful garden because of these 2 issues.

Comment

Now is the time to put in your soil amendments. 12 yards of mushroom compost spread and tilled in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

My celebrity tomatoes did well this past season, but I tried 2 new ones that they had at Home Depot (Bonnies) that trumped them 10x over. The Juliet and the Sweet Million. Those 2 alone pound for pound outdid my celebrities. Many many left dying on the vine becouse it was so much. Will be doing those again this spring

Comment

Hauling in my compost next week. Last cabbages will come off in another 2 weeks. Onions have been in and are still growing. Lettuces are slowly growing. Still have a few voluntary cilantro.

Question: I have healthy large broccoli plants that never produced for some reason. Should I leave them in? Will they produce later? Pull them and start over?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            My celebrity tomatoes did well this past season, but I tried 2 new ones that they had at Home Depot (Bonnies) that trumped them 10x over. The Juliet and the Sweet Million. Those 2 alone pound for pound outdid my celebrities. Many many left dying on the vine becouse it was so much. Will be doing those again this spring
                            1 Juliet will produce a lot of tomatoes.
                            We can a lot of salsa, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and etc.
                            Getting the skin off those little tomatoes is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              1 Juliet will produce a lot of tomatoes.
                              We can a lot of salsa, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and etc.
                              Getting the skin off those little tomatoes is a pain.
                              Yeah what we did put them into pot of boiling water until the skin starts to wrinkle, and then immediately dunk them into a large bowl of ice water. Skin litterly falls right off.

Comment

Working...
                              X