Houdini is done, or is he?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by awright View Post
    or he ducked/collapsed in fear, and while you fools were dancing in glee, he vanished.
    They only accept answers from guys they Weiner lick or Weiner bump with brother. Dont let it bother you that they have been on you a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
      agree.. the 17 HMR is a rabbit and sparrow gun. aside from the "one time at band camp" stories, it's a pathetically weak round. I was shooting coons a few years ago with one, and it wouldn't even drop them on body shots.
      This is crap, I shoot every hog with a .17. I shoot them in the head/neck and they are drt. I even shoot a fair number in the body while they are running and they die quick too. Just in last two years I have killed 23 hogs with that gun.

Comment

Anyone ever had yotes come in and eat the one that was wounded?

Comment

Houdini is done, or is he?

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
          This is crap, I shoot every hog with a .17. I shoot them in the head/neck and they are drt. I even shoot a fair number in the body while they are running and they die quick too. Just in last two years I have killed 23 hogs with that gun.

You keep a log of pigs you shoot?

A round that delivers around 100 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards is not an adequate round for much of anything. Hashtag rabbits and sparrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by kyle1974; 12-06-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco View Post
            They only accept answers from guys they Weiner lick or Weiner bump with brother. Dont let it bother you that they have been on you a bit.
            For your info sir, If the comment about " you fools " would not have been made, I would have let it ride. However, when someone has to degrade a post with that type of comment when they have zero knowledge of the person they are talking about just don't set well with me. Not to mention on just about every comment on every thread I saw he or she posted in was negative. And as far as your comment goes, you appear to be the one performing the said acts that you accuse others of. Now, you two run along and play while the rest of us have a conversation about what may or may not have happened.

Comment

If he survives, hes educated now. Bring your A game and a bigger gun next time!

Comment

Originally posted by ABroussard View Post
                If he survives, hes educated now. Bring your A game and a bigger gun next time!
                Yes sir, I will have the heavy 6.5 with me from now on for a few weeks. I heard several cut up right at dusk this evening in about the same area.

Comment

Some animals are just tougher than others. Helped a family friend years ago check his hog traps over a weekend and his SOP was to walk up to the trap and shoot the pigs between the ear hole and eye socket with a .22LR. Had this old single shot that he'd had for years. Anyway we pull up on one trap and this boar is in there, nothing huge but maybe 150-180. Shot him the same as any other and the pig hit the dirt with fluids running out of his nose and mouth. Went back to the truck and grabbed a rope to drag him out with, our knives to clean it and a couple bottles of water (AKA Coors Light). When we got to the trap maybe 5 minutes later that boar was up and chewing on the trap. Gun shot on the side of his head showed burnt hair and a patch of bone showing through the hide. Darnedest thing I'd ever seen.

Hope you get a shot on that Yote again if'n he isn't down and out somewhere. I'd like to see that mount when it's done.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
                    You keep a log of pigs you shoot?

A round that delivers around 100 ft lbs of energy at 100 yards is not an adequate round for much of anything. Hashtag rabbits and sparrows.

A .17hmr is pretty much weak
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have shot a coyote and a pretty big buck with my 308 where it knocked them down for 15-20 seconds, just to have them get up and run. The yote was not recovered, the buck got shot a second time.
                      If I read the OP correct, it was a broadside shot with the crosshairs right where the neck meets the shoulder. I suspect the bullet hit the neck right above the spine. From what I have seen this shot knocks them out temporarily, but not fatal unless the spine is severed.

Comment

I'm in the "shoot a real caliber" crowd.

Gary

Comment

I have a couple of 17 HMR’s and it’s a cool little cartridge but it really is limited in energy, especially by its scant bullet weight.

For song dogs I prefer a .204 Ruger, .223, or .22-250. They just work.

Comment

You might have just clipped the neck and the impact from the bullet has stunned the coyote, hope I'm wrong and you find it. With a 17 hmr your shots have to be on the money or there's not enough energy with marginal hits

Comment

sold my .17 a few years ago,no regrets........kinda

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                                sold my .17 a few years ago,no regrets........kinda

Plenty of viable replacements out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X