No announcement yet.

Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol... well I don't normally start going down there til mid-November. Too darn hot right now and always end up covered in spiders and webs.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorG830 View Post
      So who's going out there opening weekend .?? It's been raining for the last 3 nights and forcast still calls for more rain ,lake level is going up steadily ... Good luck Y'all..!!!!!
      I saw 5 trucks out by area 5 Saturday evening. I am assuming it's going to be busy with hunters trying to get in there prior to peeps running the sheep all spooky! I went out yesterday morning and got intermittent rain for about 5 hours and never saw a hint of deer movement. I think you are correct no need for anybody to come out. I will sound the alarm at the first sight deer have returned, I promise

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        lol... well I don't normally start going down there til mid-November. Too darn hot right now and always end up covered in spiders and webs.
        Pm sent

Comment

When are thinking of going? I am in Rockport. I will have to tent camp money is tight after the storm. I have been there before middle of the week is best.

Comment

Need a break from work. Heading up Thursday pm to hunt Friday and saturday. It'll be my first time there.

Comment

Just got back from a weekend hunting Amistad. Had a great time with my nephew and saw a lot of deer. Nothing presented a shot. Fair warning to anyone going out there, the ticks are really bad. Good luck hunting guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Howdy y'all,
                I'm headed out to Amistad for the first time nov 10-12. I see some of y'all are planning around those dates. This feed has helped me look into different areas to hunt. 4 is out of the question since I don't have a boat. I been looking at google maps and I'm down to 3 areas; 1, 2, and 5? Any suggestions on camp? Which campgrounds are better?

Thanks y'all in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Brokegrunt08 View Post
                  Howdy y'all,
                  I'm headed out to Amistad for the first time nov 10-12. I see some of y'all are planning around those dates. This feed has helped me look into different areas to hunt. 4 is out of the question since I don't have a boat. I been looking at google maps and I'm down to 3 areas; 1, 2, and 5? Any suggestions on camp? Which campgrounds are better?

Thanks y'all in advance.
                  "Rock quarry" camp ground is set up as a separate area to camp in and is right next to area 1 & 3... You could walk to either from camp. Area 2 is a few minutes away and just up the road...

Comment

Howdy y'all,

Thanks y'all in advance.
                    If I were to hunt 5 I'd camp at 277N and you can fish there at night as well. Area 2 I like Spur 406, but it's a good drive to get over to 2 from there.

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                    "Rock quarry" camp ground is set up as a separate area to camp in and is right next to area 1 & 3... You could walk to either from camp. Area 2 is a few minutes away and just up the road...
                    You have to reserve that in advance right? We should do a group hunt and reserve that site and split the bill. It would be cool to get to know everyone in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Thanks for the info I would definitely be looking forward to checking those areas out.

Comment

[QUOTE=justletmein;12805392]If I were to hunt 5 I'd camp at 277N and you can fish there at night as well. Area 2 I like Spur 406, but it's a good drive to get over to 2 from there.

This sounds like a great idea. It'll be the first tome wifey comes out hunting, camping, and fishing. It'll be her first time outdoors so she's excited. I'm more excited that she wants to be a part of it. So thanks for the info y'all success or not it'll be a great experience.

Comment

This sounds like a great idea. It'll be the first tome wifey comes out hunting, camping, and fishing. It'll be her first time outdoors so she's excited. I'm more excited that she wants to be a part of it. So thanks for the info y'all success or not it'll be a great experience.
                          If that's the case I'd recommend Area 1, easier walking trails and you can slide in there to some good spots without a lot of walking. I don't go in October because I'm always covered in spiders by the time I get anywhere LOL. There are restrooms in the camp areas, bring some bug spray as wasps usually find their way in to shelter for the winter. I've never had an issue with them but my wife doesn't like them too much so just a heads up. Also the Buffalo Wings & Rings in Del Rio is good eats. If she gets bored of the hunting she can drop you off and go on a Rock Art tour, pretty cool old native american cave paintings and such.

By the way, if you go in November or December I typically have my wife with me as well and she typically makes me grill ribs in camp for dinner so feel free to stop by for some grub.
                          Last edited by justletmein; 10-09-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Definitely go during the week, had several hunts ruined last year due to hunters roaming around aimlessly in area 4. Some guys in Doe season were trying to drive Aoudad like moufloun, ran all the deer to the next county.

I like to bring the boat and hit the back sides of 5 and sneak in, then let the hunters run everything to me as they walk in.

It's gonna be hard this year with all the rain, deer will be less predictable and more scattered. 2 years ago was easy pickings.

To answer your question OP, there are plenty of deer but they are not easy to get shots on.

I'll have a couple of weeks in November and early December I'll be doing middle of the week trips alone with the boat if anyone wants to come along.

I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MySRT8U View Post
                              I’m in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              If my schedule holds I'm still good for that, they're trying to switch me out to be a normal human being and I'm resisting as long as I can. Keep in touch, I'll definitely be making trips in December, but we have an Elk hunt and a couple drawn deer hunts the kids got as well so rather than planning ahead I'm kind of "filling the gaps" with my Amistad trips.

Comment

Originally posted by VictorG830 View Post
                                No post or updates of anything well there it is, no more animals are left out there . guess there's no point for any hunters to come down here and try their luck ........!!!!!
                                Yup...there aren't any animals left. Don't bother coming!

Comment

Working...
                                X