No announcement yet.

Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any luck this year in harvesting any Mouflon, aoudad or deer? Only was able to make it out there in October, but was unsuccessful.

Comment

Originally posted by hammyhamilton View Post
      Anyone have any luck this year in harvesting any Mouflon, aoudad or deer? Only was able to make it out there in October, but was unsuccessful.
      Deer, yes. Could have had a small Aoudad but it was moving still and not worth the risk. You're brave going in October, last time I did that I ended up sitting in my spot for an hour with no shirt on waiting for the sweat to dry up and then walking back out at dusk I was covered in spiders.

Comment

When would be the best time to go? Obviously when its cooler but doesn't it get packed around the rut anyways?

Comment

When would be the best time to go? Obviously when its cooler but doesn't it get packed around the rut anyways?
          I start going around 2nd weekend of November or just watching the weather and waiting for it to cool down. In years past I remember a lot of people showing up early December but I don't recall having those thoughts this year.

Comment

Any mouflon harvested that you know of?

Comment

Any mouflon harvested that you know of?
              Yes, I know of a very nice large ram that was killed late after deer season and a ewe that was killed early probably November time frame. I also heard there were 4 or 5 trucks in hunt area 5 even during the week after deer season. Lots of people walking around there aimlessly. I've never hunted for mouflon so couldn't tell you about strategy, I avoid it because of the crowds of people out there.

Comment

Just got back from Amistad today. Going during the week is best. The weekend can be challenging due to the number of people that crowd the area. I'm an early guy. I was set up and ready before 5 am yesterday over 2 miles in. I could hear mouflon walking around on the rocks below me. I just knew I would be getting a shot. Then just before shooting light I heard really heavy walking and heavier breathing when 2 guys come stomping down the path talking about Chevy trucks. Needless to say the mouflon took off as soon as they started getting close. Spent the rest of the day glassing no less than 10 different bow hunters and another 5 quail hunters. :S
                Good luck if you ever get to go. Mouflon are FUN to hunt. And the terrain is a killer workout! Just try to not get too frustrated when you see bubba walk up in shorts, snake boots and a bright blue fishing shirt.

Comment

Hate to read that Ruttin, sorry that happened I've been there and done that in Area 4 too many times these last two years.

Comment

The best time to hunt mouflon is later in the season? Around December-February?

Comment

Originally posted by ;12255335
                      The best time to hunt mouflon is later in the season? Around December-February?
                      It used to be a few years back as most of the hunting traffic would settle down with WT season winding down. This past year from what I was told, the hunting pressure was constant and continued after the first of the year. I did not hunt area 5 for mouflons but everyone that did told me that the number of mouflons in the hunting area was greatly diminished as compared to other years.

There is a lot of property/area for the mouflons to run off to when they are heavily pressured. Unfortunately, all of that is outside the hunting area. I heard reports of a large group of mouflons that moved to the east side of Highway 90 which is mainly private property or park land but all of it is of limits to hunting. The majority of the time mouflons run off to the east side towards a subdivision that overlooks lake Amistad.

Comment

[QUOTE=Deers & Beers;11775351]There really are hardly any aoudad out there at all. I've heard of 2 being taken in the past 7-8 years.

I got mine. Very blessed. This was on two different hunts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160330_115927.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	24502249

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0655.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	24502251

Comment

Couple of questions. Maybe I missed them online and in this thread. Is hunter orange required? Do you need archery endorsement on hunting license during October? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                            Couple of questions. Maybe I missed them online and in this thread. Is hunter orange required? Do you need archery endorsement on hunting license during October? Thanks.
                            No, but I wear orange anyway walking in and out because there's some first class idiots out there.
                            Yes

Comment

So who's going out there opening weekend .?? It's been raining for the last 3 nights and forcast still calls for more rain ,lake level is going up steadily ... Good luck Y'all..!!!!!

Comment

No post or updates of anything well there it is, no more animals are left out there . guess there's no point for any hunters to come down here and try their luck ........!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X