No announcement yet.

Considering a rifle for my boys for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for 7-08. We shot 13 animals in Africa using 120 grain Barnes TTSX this past June, including Sable and Kudu. Sable was DRT and Kudu made it 60-70 yards. Both of these animals are elk sized and Sable are legendary for their toughness.
    We’ve hunted with 7-08 for over 20 years, killed hundreds or deer and hogs and never felt “under gunned”.
    My wife, daughter and I, really like the low recoil and the fact that it is a great all around cartridge.
    Last edited by rjtkdplus; 10-03-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Get them each a Henry lever action with a brass receiver, iron sights in 30-30. Make them work to get within range- and have a gun they can pass down to their sons.

Plenty of time for the other scoped rifles. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 Grendel or .224 Valkyrie in an AR with an adjustable stock. As they grow you can extend the stock and it won't have enough recoil to cause them to develop bad habits like flinching. But they'll be able to shoot heavy enough bullets to kill deer and hogs.

Comment

Bought my 11yr old stepson a Ruger American ranch 6.5 grendel and put a muzzle brake on it and he loves it. He is pretty skittish when it comes to shooting because his dad has never worked with him and does dumb crap like hand an 8 yr old 12ga to shoot and it ends up scaring the **** out of him. He is all about that grendel though and recoil is about like a 223 at most. We rattled in an 8 pt and he shot it from a sitting position on a tripod. We have dumped a couple of good sized hogs with it as well.

My thoughts would be 6.5 grendel, 243win , 6.5 creedmoor. Love the 308 and 7mm-08 but the other 3 have less recoil for the kiddos. 308 with a muzzle brake would be nice. Having family scattered across the state scouting for me and in my recent running here and there we have seen lots of ammo for 308, 6.5cm, 243, and 6.5 grendel so that shouldn't be an issue especially for the 6.5cm and 308.
          Last edited by DuramaxDude; 10-03-2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

A good way to avoid recoil problems is to let the kids practice with scoped or open sight 22 rimfires, not deer rifles. When the shoot at an animal with a high power rifle they will never notice the recoil.

Comment

I'd focus on getting a quality gun with a little heft and a good pad to soak up recoil rather than caliber. 243, 7-08, 308, 25-06, 6.5 manbun, all of them work.

Comment

7mm-08 would be my suggestion.

Comment

We and our kids are all individuals. Just keep that thought.

Short of what worked with my youngest. He's now almost 12 and only 70lbs.

After his yrs of Red Rider shooting. I gave him a Ruger Am in 223. Couple months later he told me in honesty he didn't like it very much.

That Christmas I gave him a M77 in 243. He loves it and very good with it at 100yds is all I know.
                  He started shooting one of my handguns, a Blackhawk 357. He loves it too.
                  Tried my 9mm S&W auto and hates it.

I'm shopping for a short n lite 308 for him. Maybe a Tikka unless I can find a model 7? His 243 isn't legal in some states and he'll have to carry the gun all day where we hike to hunt.

We don't discuss recoil concerns and he wears ear plugs with head gear ear protection. If he doesn't hear it, he doesn't flinch.
                  Last edited by tigerscowboy; 10-03-2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I have no clue why folks think they need a .30 caliber to kick the crud out of their kid. Get a good .243 and kill anything in the lower 48 without an issue.

Comment

308 or 7mm-08 would be my suggestions. Terminal performance of the larger diameter bullets is more reliable on bigger critters compared to 243.

Choice of rifle is more important. If it's your typical deer blind TX hunt, lightweight is not your friend. For accuracy reasons as well as recoil.

A 20" fat barreled Tikka CTR would be perfect. It comes threaded if you later want to put a can on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                        This is what I was going to say. I love my grendels. But for the kids I love the 7mm-08 better. The Hornady reduced recoil is tough to beat. Every one of my kids said the reduced recoil had less kick than any of my AR's. And the 08 puts a thumpin on a deer! It is easy to move off of the reduced recoil as well.
                        Literally knew nothing of 7mm-08 until my tiny aunt gave my son her Remington.
                        At 9 he was shooting Hornady lite SST reduced recoil 120 grain loads like he was using a .22. It’s a really nice caliber.
                        That said, see what you can find for reduced loads and then see if there’s a gun available that fits. Honestly, the .22 rifle time to work out the mechanics and target acquisition will pay dividends on the other calibers. Short of large magnums and whatnot, if they’re totally comfortable on a .22, they’ll do great on center fire rifles.
                        Attached Files

Comment

a 7mm-08 reduced recoil round and a 6.5 grendel standard hunting ammo are basically the same thing. Those are the only two calibers I own. The 7mm-08 will give them more options long term though. We have a Howa mini action in 6.5 grendel that all three kids have started out shooting. My 14 year old son has moved up to the Kimber in 7mm-08 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                            This is what I was going to say. I love my grendels. But for the kids I love the 7mm-08 better. The Hornady reduced recoil is tough to beat. Every one of my kids said the reduced recoil had less kick than any of my AR's. And the 08 puts a thumpin on a deer! It is easy to move off of the reduced recoil as well.

How easy is ammo to find with the reduced recoil 7-08? I’m looking for my son a first bolt rifle. He’s 7 currently and is shooting my 223 AR. I’m not a big fan of 223 on whitetail.
                            Was thinking 243 at first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for 7-08. Started my son on a Browning Micro-Midas in .22-250 when he was 5 or 6. Moved up to the 7-08 when he was 9 or so. He has killed a lot of deer/pigs with both.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
                                257 Roberts
                                ^^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X