No announcement yet.

CWD Discovered in Limestone County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have yet to hear of a deer dying from CWD.
    And to prove a point I would eat a deer that had cwd. Maybe then TPWD would back off some.

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
      Agreed
      We already have to live test for movement. You can’t live test for trace out but can for movement , what sense does that make ? DMP and TTT are exempt from testing , go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
        We already have to live test for movement. You can’t live test for trace out but can for movement , what sense does that make ? DMP and TTT are exempt from testing , go figure.
        Oh they are? Lol. If that’s not blatantly obvious who’s controlling the narrative lol

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Kinda like comparing apples to apple flavored oranges

The knee jerk reaction is what I’m referring to. And strongly dislike. I do have a very good friend who was impacted significantly. I see both sides.

Comment

TTT has been suspended since 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
              TTT has been suspended since 2021.
              You are right , I forgot about them doing that last year. But I am pretty sure the DMP can still trap and release without testing.

Comment

And to prove a point I would eat a deer that had cwd. Maybe then TPWD would back off some.
                I respect that.

Didn’t know about the exemptions. That is some bull****

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Apples to oranges and not very well thought out argument. The winter kills the weak animals up there, down here they eat corn all winter and continue to spread the disease around the protein cooler.
                  This argument while is valid it only applies to roughly a 1/3 of the western habitat. Well Over 1/2 of Colorado is under 6k’ and plains, more then that in WY, Montana, Idaho etc. This this why WY and CO have increased tags or extended season in special areas to target higher age classes.

Major traditional winter kill areas like Gunnison etc aren’t numerous enough to support this theory in whole.

Comment

Same here and I’ve been hunting in CWD areas for past 25 years, with out a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                      This argument while is valid it only applies to roughly a 1/3 of the western habitat. Well Over 1/2 of Colorado is under 6k’ and plains, more then that in WY, Montana, Idaho etc. This this why WY and CO have increased tags or extended season in special areas to target higher age classes.

Major traditional winter kill areas like Gunnison etc aren’t numerous enough to support this theory in whole.
                      That's fair, but the winters are still tougher than Texas no matter what and especially for sick animals. Look at how many antelope died off recently, they don't live in the mountains.

Comment

You are right , I forgot about them doing that last year. But I am pretty sure the DMP can still trap and release without testing.
                        No CWD test for DMP but you can no longer transfer to deer to a DMP from any breeding facility. Only deer within the designated ranch may be captured and detained in the DMP and released back to the ranch. No outside deer brought in to the ranch, no resident deer going off the ranch.

We TTTed does to other ranches almost every year until the program was suspended and we were always required to submit samples from 15 deer for CWD testing.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                          That's fair, but the winters are still tougher than Texas no matter what and especially for sick animals. Look at how many antelope died off recently, they don't live in the mountains.
                          Pronghorns? I have had zero die off on my ranch in last 40 years? My ranch essentially borders CO for all essential purposes. I’ve lost cattle but never deer, elk or pronghorns in any measurable amount

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            Same here and I’ve been hunting in CWD areas for past 25 years, with out a second thought.
                            Same here. I've always figured if anyone was going to catch CWD it would be myself or someone in my immediate family. I can probably all but guarantee there has been at least one cervid having cwd positive proteins consumed in the family and we still continue to hunt and eat those animals in those areas without a second thought. Only thing that's changed is processing in the field to be compliant with the law.

Comment

CWD Discovered in Limestone County

Originally posted by crc View Post
                              I’m sorry y’all can’t see the relevance of making y’all admit your fear of a contagion that y’all are downplaying the spread of.
                              would you knowingly eat a deer with EHD?
                              would you knowingly eat a deer with botulism?
                              would you knowingly eat a deer with anthrax?
                              would you knowingly eat a deer with lime disease?
                              would you knowingly eat road kill?

all of those are more common than CWD, and no one lifts an eyebrow at them because the covid response team has told them CWD is what we worry about. I'm all for getting down to a root cause for CWD, but this has turned entirely into a political debacle.
                              Last edited by kyle1974; 09-27-2022, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                                No CWD test for DMP but you can no longer transfer to deer to a DMP from any breeding facility. Only deer within the designated ranch may be captured and detained in the DMP and released back to the ranch. No outside deer brought in to the ranch, no resident deer going off the ranch.

We TTTed does to other ranches almost every year until the program was suspended and we were always required to submit samples from 15 deer for CWD testing.
                                That was live testing correct ? Live testing was just made available to breeders last year. And if we want to release deer from our pens to our pasture we have to live test. What’s the difference between DMP being able to release bred doe from a pen (with a breeder deer they bought three years ago) into the pasture then me releasing buck fawns into our own pasture ?

Comment

Working...
                                X