No announcement yet.

SHNF hunting 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any good ones in the forest on opening day?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

I went duck hunting instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Anyone have clarification on if the SHNF antlerless permit also requires a tag off your license? I have taken doe in the past out there with the permit but honestly don’t recall if I used a tag and the permit together as I never tag out.

This weekend however I’ll be helping a friend at his place where I can tag out to help him as he is over populated and not under mld. Need to decide if I hold back a tag in case or go all in…

Comment

Originally posted by bdubb View Post
          Anyone have clarification on if the SHNF antlerless permit also requires a tag off your license? I have taken doe in the past out there with the permit but honestly don’t recall if I used a tag and the permit together as I never tag out.

This weekend however I’ll be helping a friend at his place where I can tag out to help him as he is over populated and not under mld. Need to decide if I hold back a tag in case or go all in…
          It’s its own separate tag and doesn’t count against your normal license.

Comment

Originally posted by jnewberry18 View Post
            Any good ones in the forest on opening day?

No good ones at all. I’m taking my 5 year old out just to sit in the woods Thursday. Not planning on even seeing anything just hoping he’ll have a fun first trip hunting

Comment

Stubblefield bridge is getting the final inspection today. Set to reopen tomorrow. For those who commute, hunt or fish in the area, it has been a long time coming.

Comment

Originally posted by bdubb View Post
                Stubblefield bridge is getting the final inspection today. Set to reopen tomorrow. For those who commute, hunt or fish in the area, it has been a long time coming.
                Yes, no kidding. Now I can back road it all the way to Huntsville around 45 if need be.

Comment

Well I may be done in the Sam. Spent 2 days and had nothing but troubles. Illegal stands, 4 wheelers, corn covering the ground, people running dogs (dogs were wearing hunter orange), timber harvesting, forest service building new trails, road hunters were on one road we come out on but don't go in on. It officially has turned into a pile of $#!+. I went to 5 spots and there was very little sign compared to years past. Whoever is in charge of the place obviously is not managing as a WMA. I guess they want all areas to be hike and bike trails or horse back riding. It feels like they are trying to make it into a park now. Game Warden was too ill and they don't answer the forest service phone during the week. It has been trashed by those in charge of it. They must be from Austin. After using the "FOREST" for 40+ years it is anything but a real forest now.

Comment

Yup I don’t even know why I waste any time trying to scout a spot.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                      Well I may be done in the Sam. Spent 2 days and had nothing but troubles. Illegal stands, 4 wheelers, corn covering the ground, people running dogs (dogs were wearing hunter orange), timber harvesting, forest service building new trails, road hunters were on one road we come out on but don't go in on. It officially has turned into a pile of $#!+. I went to 5 spots and there was very little sign compared to years past. Whoever is in charge of the place obviously is not managing as a WMA. I guess they want all areas to be hike and bike trails or horse back riding. It feels like they are trying to make it into a park now. Game Warden was too ill and they don't answer the forest service phone during the week. It has been trashed by those in charge of it. They must be from Austin. After using the "FOREST" for 40+ years it is anything but a real forest now.

Your not kidding about the new trails. Kept running into a trail with blue markers on trees the last two years. Couldn’t figure out what the trail was. Park rangers were no help. Wasn’t showing up on OnX. Ran into it again when I was out this afternoon. Turns outs it’s a new equestrian trail being built.

SAM HOUSTON TRAILS COALITION The Sam Houston Trails Coalition is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to maintaining and expanding the trail systems in the Sam Houston National Forest. The Forest includes 163,030 acres of piney woods, rivers, and lakes. The Coalition helps maintain the 128 mile

Comment

Sad to read this. I’ve never hunted there but was thinking of doing so in the future. After reading this maybe I shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a similar experience this year as well. I have been hunting the Sam since 2010, and I think this was my last year. It has become a ****ing zoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On my drive home this morning I counted about 10 bags of empty deer corn on the side of the road. Shame

Comment

I was reading a theory a few months ago, guess you could call it a conspiracy theory. The premise being a push by environmental groups for more and more trails on public land. Be it hiking, equestrian, etc. This combined with the rules on hunting near trails could essentially end hunting in a lot of areas. This was out west, but with the smaller parcels we have in East Texas it could have an impact.

Comment

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Comment

Working...
                                X