Low T?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low T?

So I'm thinking about going to get tested, but have some reservations. I'm 43 and can definitely feel that I don't have the energy any longer versus 5 years ago. Number one concern is that I'm worried that this would increase your chances for Prostrate Cancer. My Dad was diagnosed with Prostrate Cancer last year and the first thing they did was put him on therapy to REMOVE Testosterone. That doesn't add up to me how a Testosterone boost is a good thing for your body.

Secondly for those who do it does insurance cover most or all of it? I have Blue Cross Blue shield. Any recommendations on places to go get checked in the West Houston area would be appreciated. Also are there other forms of treatment besides shots? I'm not big needle person....

Just have your PCP order lab work and prescribe it if needed. Yes insurance will cover it and yes there are alternatives to the shots but a weekly shot at home is likely much easier and more effective than a daily gel.

Comment

Yep. Testosterone feeds Prostate Cancer. I am on hormone (estrogen) therapy for my cancer, and my testosterone level is just about nonexistent! Yes, I am tired all the time!

Comment

If your dad has Prostate Cancer, then YOU are predisposed to (possibly) getting it someday. I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at age 51.

Comment

I'm in the same process right now and awaiting blood work. What I will suggest is to NOT go to any of these "Testosterone Clinics", especially the ones that advertise on Radio and TV. They DO NOT have your overall health in mind and are ONLY selling you a product. Go to your PCP and start there.

Comment

Go get tested an if low get on replacement therapy it will change your life. I would encourage you to go to a dr that specializes in testosterone replacement. There is large range of "normal" for T levels. I want a Dr that keps me at the upper end of acceptable range.
            My doctor is closer to Conroe so probably too far for you.

Comment

They will do bloodwork to check your PSA levels every 3-6 months to check for prostate cancer.

I've been taking testosterone for low T for 2 years now and the overall benefits are worth it. My testosterone levels were on the low end when I started (160's) and now they are towards the higher end with weekly injections (900's).

Comment

I'd first go see a Urologist and have your PSA checked if you've never done so. I'm 40 and I started getting yearly checks 2 years ago due to the history in my family. Then go have your blood done to look at your test levels. I found that my body produces good testosterone i just wasn't able to use it due to SHBG (Sex Hormone Binding Globulent). My "Free" test levels were low. Anyhow, now taking a supplement called DIM which is supposed to break the bond and allow my body to utilize my natural test again.

Comment

If you are in the Houston area check out Texas Regional Urology. They seem to be pretty good so far. My insurance covers it, but GoodRx also gets a pretty good price at some pharmacies. Regarding the shot, the first time I took one, I hem hawed around for about thirty minutes. I hated needles and the thought of a shot. Then when I took the plunge, I didn't even feel it much. Now the weekly shots are no big deal!

Comment

I would recommend the pellets. I've been on them for a year and a half. I had pretty bad side effects from the shots. Go in every 6 months and they check PSA levels every time.

Comment

I'm 39. After noticing things were just not right the last couple of years I got tested in early December. My total T was at the bottom of the acceptable range and my free testosterone was 26 (range is 36-155). My DHEA was bottomed out as well. I'm starting shots next week.

I lost 110 lbs 8 years ago and have managed to maintain the active lifestyle and weightloss. I run and lift regularly. I've noticed that recovery is harder, gains are non existent, my weight cuts are pretty much all muscle loss and no fat loss, my energy level has gone way down and I'm generally just not myself. Hoping this will help me get back to normal
                      Last edited by JonBoy; 01-14-2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I can’t take it due to my prostrate issues and it sux because my T is way low.

Comment

My urologist said there was very little real correlation to Prostate, not prostrate, cancer from TRT. His opinion based on his experience.

Even if insurance doesn’t cover it, a 10 ml bottle is like $50 at Sam’s without insurance and that lasts 10 weeks for me.

I buy a case of needles, screw trying to chase down syringes each time you refill. For a while they were really hard to find.
                          Last edited by JES; 01-14-2022, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            I'm in the same process right now and awaiting blood work. What I will suggest is to NOT go to any of these "Testosterone Clinics", especially the ones that advertise on Radio and TV. They DO NOT have your overall health in mind and are ONLY selling you a product. Go to your PCP and start there.
                            Get regular blood work from a legitimate doctor, you definitely don’t want a wonky red blood cell count = HBP and other serious things

Aetna didn’t cover my pellets, so paid out of pocket
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-14-2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
                              I'm 39. After noticing things were just not right the last couple of years I got tested in early December. My total T was at the bottom of the acceptable range and my free testosterone was 26 (range is 36-155). My DHEA was bottomed out as well. I'm starting shots next week.

I lost 110 lbs 8 years ago and have managed to maintain the active lifestyle and weightloss. I run and lift regularly. I've noticed that recovery is harder, gains are non existent, my weight cuts are pretty much all muscle loss and no fat loss, my energy level has gone way down and I'm generally just not myself. Hoping this will help me get back to normal
                              You’ll get all that back once you get settled into your routine with it. This is the fountain of youth for middle aged men.

Comment

Working...
                              X