No announcement yet.

Outboard experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The alarm system is in your engine only with a buzzer in the controls or under your console. All your accessories, tach etc, have nothing to do with the alarm. Your buzzer should beet when you turn the key on before your start it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      The alarm system is in your engine only with a buzzer in the controls or under your console. All your accessories, tach etc, have nothing to do with the alarm. Your buzzer should beet when you turn the key on before your start it.
      Ok, I do get a beep when I turn the key on. No alarm when the motor started dying at speed.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
        New fuel filter was the first thing I did after the Christmas day event. Bulb pumps up firm. Not sure how to check the vent line?
        When it acts up try pumping the bulb and see if anything changes.

Comment

No merc expert but on any outboard I have owned, that ever has surging or rough idle, has always been fuel related. With dirty carbs, fuel pumps, filter, collapsing line, or etc…

Comment

New fuel filter was the first thing I did after the Christmas day event. Bulb pumps up firm. Not sure how to check the vent line?
            Depends on where its at but if under a console dirt dobbers love to plug them. Vapor locks the tank and after the air you introduced filling it runs out then it creates a vacuum and no fuel movement

Comment

Ok, I do get a beep when I turn the key on. No alarm when the motor started dying at speed.
              You won't get an alarm if your fuel lines are getting clogged or your lift or high pressure fuel pumps are weak, are they original from 2005?

Comment

sounds like it is having trouble getting fuel.

ac

Comment

Had a very similar issue in my suzuki. Turned out to be water in the fuel.

Comment

Not sure if the merc has the same setup but my Yamaha has a small screen before the high pressure fuel pump that can clog and cause these types of issues

Comment

Sounds like a lean seizure to me.... can't believe Noone said to do a compression check and look at plugs-

Problem could be any of above but if it sits and then will run ok till hot then I suspect it's seizing

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                        Sounds like a lean seizure to me.... can't believe Noone said to do a compression check and look at plugs-

Problem could be any of above but if it sits and then will run ok till hot then I suspect it's seizing
                        This, get a compression test, how many hours are on the motor?

Comment

Well I had a few minutes on lunch break to fart with it but now it's just gonna sit a while. The mobile mechanic I used last year quick doing service calls and said he would not have attempted a carb cleaning on the water anyway. He thought it's a fuel or carb issue. The other guy in town won't call me back so I think I'm stuck until I find a trailer.

My tank filler is a flip up cap on the side near my console and the vent line runs into it. I see no indication the vent line is plugged when I shine a light down there. It does have a little screen or something at the top.

I ran the boat at low RPM for a good 20 minutes (it will die at true idle in nuetral) and the fuel filter stayed full the entire time. I was trying to work the guage issue at the same time. Verified good voltage to the tac again then I jumpered to the post where the gray wire is connected and tried plugging in at both voltage regulators - still nada so to me that suggests a bad tac. I did turn that bottom dial on the back and put it back where it was set to. Verified good voltage to the fuel guage too and it's still stuck.

Poking around where all the wires run down I did find a clear/yellowed tube and am not sure where it goes. They don't make these things easy to get into for sure. I used my towable inflator/deflator and put some suction on it but nothing came out.

Will update again when I get a trailer and can get it home. In the mean time I will just keep fishing close to home, trolling motor distance.
                          Last edited by TexaRican; 01-14-2022, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Do you have full power when it's running right? An easy test to do is to push on the choke when it starts to stumble, if it does better then it's a fuel issue causing a lean condition.

Comment

Look under your console at the back of the speedo. That clear tube might go there. It's usually a black tube but who knows?

Comment

Well what a freakin mess. After weeks of being unable to find a trailer or a mobile mechanic I decided to clean the carbs as a first step. Followed an excellent 3 part youtube where the guy had my exact set save a few years older. I've rebuilt dozens of motorcycle carbs so figured this was not much different. Took them off on the water and brought home. They did not look like carbs that have ever been touched before and honestly there was nothing on the inside to indicate any issues. I was shocked but went ahead and removed all plastics and gave them a full soak. Blew out all the jets with carb cleaner, dried and reassembled. Had made sure to check and my idle air tubes were set 1-1/4 turn from seat. Guy in the video was 1-1/2 but I put mine back just like they were.
                                Back on the boat today with no issues and the motor fired up about like it always has in cool weather. First thing I noticed was it does idle at a higher RPM than before (using my ear tach) and seemed to be smoother at first. I'm still a bit worried about the water pump because it spits and spurts, not a steady stream like videos I see.

Took the boat out and it shifted really hard. Still surging some and never died but did not want to get up on plane. Throttle up and the motor will rev really high but almost like the prop doesn't grab. Lots of smoke too but maybe residual carb cleaner? I only ran it about 10 minutes and went back to the slip. I do have a fuel pump rebuild kit I can try next but I'm kind of over the guessing game. Still searching for a trailer or mobile mechanic.

Comment

Working...
                                X