Why would Utah ban trail Cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would Utah ban trail Cams?

Seriously why would they ban trail cams? The most useful tool for managing your heard, helps me decide which deer are oldest and need to be taken.... Freakin Snowflakes.
    The Utah Wildlife Board voted to restrict the use of trail cameras and other hunting-related technologies and also approved some changes to black bear and cougar hunting in the state, as well as a …

Read this:

So first things first, I’m not posting this to turn it into a fight. I’m just curious of peoples opinions on the topic. Utah and Arizona just passed trail cam ban laws. Maybe others already have, im not sure. As a Midwest whitetail hunter that heads west when I can, trail cams have been pretty...

Comment

The argument is the real time images and effectively it's no different than using a plane or drone to spot and hunt game. Which is illegal lots of places.

Comment

Originally posted by redsnapper101 View Post
        The most useful tool for managing your heard,
        Heard[sic]???
        You raising cattle?
        None of the cattleman I know use game cams to manage their herd.
        They are out there every other day if not daily.

Comment

Utah ain’t Texas OP. The herd is managed by the state and the problem in the Western states has gotten to be forty cameras around a water hole on public land in order to catch mulies and elk watering. Lots of outfitters are guilty of this. It creates a problem when those forty hunters all try to sit there at the same time. Obviously the numbers are exaggerated but the problem is real.

Comment

It's an over reaction to a real issue. That's the problem, when you ask for the state to step in, they go in with both feet. There have been serious problems in western states with people putting cameras on waterholes, fence crossings, trails, etc. I've heard reports of as many as 11 cameras on one elk wallow. This led to cameras being stolen, fights, blaming trail cameras for overharvest, and other issues. I can understand outlawing them on public land, but there's no reason to stop them on private property, where access is restricted.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
              It's an over reaction to a real issue. That's the problem, when you ask for the state to step in, they go in with both feet. There have been serious problems in western states with people putting cameras on waterholes, fence crossings, trails, etc. I've heard reports of as many as 11 cameras on one elk wallow. This led to cameras being stolen, fights, blaming trail cameras for overharvest, and other issues. I can understand outlawing them on public land, but there's no reason to stop them on private property, where access is restricted.
              I second this. I also want to add that part of it might have to do with the cellular cams where a hunter would know where an animal is right then and there. Maybe takes away from the fair chase aspect?

Comment

and you are that guy!

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                Heard[sic]???
                You raising cattle?
                None of the cattleman I know use game cams to manage their herd.
                They are out there every other day if not daily.
                YES , heard is a common term used to describe a deer population in a given area....

Comment

I can see where the cell cams can give an unfair advantage.... have never used them, probably never will. But a trail cam I hike in once a month to check, dont see how that is a fair chase issue at all.

Comment

I read part of the issue, involving places like water holes with 20 cameras, is the amount of disturbance from people going in to check them regularly.

Comment

YES , heard is a common term used to describe a deer population in a given area....
                      Herd is the word you are seeking.

Heard is what you do when someone speaks. "I HEARD what he said"

And this is old news. If you arent hunting elk in Utah, why even worry about it?

Comment

It is quite the problem IMO... I've hunted some nice units in recent years in New Mexico and Arizona, public land, not private, and EVERY SINGLE water hole will have 10+ cameras on it. I talked with one outfitter last year and he said he is running upwards of 400 cameras. So he knows exactly where the elk are and what time they are there. IMO it IS a mechanical advantage of a public game animal.

Heck, these elk are practically named by these guys, so when you are hunting near a water hole and the outfitter shows up because he knows that Bullwinkle 3.0 will be in for a drink in 30 minutes of course there is friction, which as stated above may be the bigger problem.

Comment

Man, quit while you are behind!

Comment

I support it. Nothing like hiking in several miles into the mountains on Public Lands, feeling that primal connection to your ancestors and walking up to a spring coming out of a mountain side with 3 trail cameras posted on different trees. I'm the furthest thing from a hippie, and use them routinely at our lease here in Texas, but sometimes a man needs to get away from technology and I can think of no better place than public lands of The West.

Comment

Lots of grumbling on the web that Arizona may be next to restrict the use of "cell type" trail cameras on public lands, targeting the state managed water sources.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                              X