No announcement yet.

Dr ashby up dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc is the reason bow hunting in Africa is now legal. Momentum is key. Not speed, not kinetic energy. Sure, the faster the bow, the heavier arrows you can shoot. Really doesn't matter as much on a hill country whitetail. Big, tough skinked animals, you gotta have some penetration and drive. If you got a kia rio going 50 mph and dump truck goin 35 mph, and they both hit a brick wall, which one is gonna get hung up in the rubble and which on is gonna push thru to the other side.

Thanks for all you do, Doc!

Comment

So basically, we just reworded his original test to show new components on the market....nothing really changed from his original tests.

He had it right the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        Huh?

I second that motion! Huh? he's gonna use them any way , so...

Comment

I don't have time to read it. Which broadhead, bow and ice chest does it say to I should use now?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
            I don't have time to read it. Which broadhead, bow and ice chest does it say to I should use now?
            The same ones he did years ago. The ones that work for you.

Comment

And the debate "rages" on...

Comment

Excellent read. I was surprised how low "blade edge finish" was placed and nothing about arrow stiffness. The FOC penetration factor was surprising also. The "ideal" weight being 65-70 lbs was interesting also. Enjoyed that very much, keep them coming enewman.

Comment

Enewman I just tried to follow the link you posted.
                  It says webpage could not loaded...... SSL INTERFERENCE

Comment

I love Dr Ashby's work.

Comment

I think this is super informative especially since I’m building 2 different sets of arrows right now. 535 grain running around 270 and 11% FOC and 584 grain running around 250 with around 18%-20% FOC. Really leaning towards the heavier setup.

Comment

Originally posted by bettstg View Post
                        And the debate "rages" on...
                        Not really a "debate". Seems to be pretty settled fact. It's why I use a 680-grain arrow, with about 28% FOC, and a Tanto-tipped single-bevel 3-to-1 Tuffhead broadhead. Yes, I had to get up to a 67-lb bow to get acceptably fast enough flight for hunting. (Recently, chrono'ed the longbow and recurve at 167 FPS with those heavy arrows.)

Toughest hunting test I can offer is killing a 238-lb boar from 15 yards, quartering away, breaking two ribs and penetrating at least 3/8" shield for about 15 inches of penetration through both lungs and heart and a 125-yard track to a stone dead animal in minutes.

Comment

Great eead. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Read.

Comment

Thats a heck of a read! Hey Muddy,when I get around to ordering my arrows, may need to keep 650 in mind, lol!

Comment

Working...
                              X