• Show
Clear All

Thanks for that.

Comment

Does the sun also rotate?

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        Does the sun also rotate?
        yes, and the sun rotates around the milky way galaxy and is traveling about 500000 mph!
        and then, the galaxies, including milky way, around us are moving towards The Great Attractor at a 1000 k/s.
        Last edited by hpdrifter; 10-03-2022, 11:18 PM. Reason: T

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
          yes, and the sun rotates around the milky way galaxy and is traveling about 500000 mph!
          and then, the galaxies, including milky way, around us are moving towards The Great Attractor at a 1000 k/s.
          The sun rotates around the CENTER of the Milky Way, actually our whole solar system does.
          All the galaxies are receding away from each other much faster, than they are drawn to GA.
          Fascinating stuff.

Comment

In layman’s terms can someone explain the great attractor?

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
              In layman’s terms can someone explain the great attractor?
              I giant amount of mass, so large it's pulling everything in this part of universe towards it.
              We don't really know what it is, but we know it's there.

Comment

Once again, the sun has belched out X flares again. This time 3 of them in a very short period of time, but not from just 1 sun spot. There are 2 sun spots that have sent out weak X class flares and another sun spot that has the capability of sending out X flares! So far, all of the X class flares have been X-1.9 or weaker and none of them have produced a CME, yet. I’ll be watching this closely and will report back if any other X class flares are sent out.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                  Once again, the sun has belched out X flares again. This time 3 of them in a very short period of time, but not from just 1 sun spot. There are 2 sun spots that have sent out weak X class flares and another sun spot that has the capability of sending out X flares! So far, all of the X class flares have been X-1.9 or weaker and none of them have produced a CME, yet. I’ll be watching this closely and will report back if any other X class flares are sent out.
                  Got the alert yesterday. Looks like we will have activity for a while...

Comment

Well, we just had yet another X1 solar flare, but from a 4th sun spot!! So we now have 4 sun spots at the same time that have all sent out X class solar flares! Wow! Luckily none of them have been strong enough to really do much. I don’t know if this has ever happened in recent recorded history.

Comment

If it gets my kids off electronics, I'm for it. Even if it causes a global meltdown

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                        If it gets my kids off electronics, I'm for it. Even if it causes a global meltdown
                        You know, there’s a much more efficient way of getting your kids off electronics….. . I told my wife when we got married that we won’t ever have video games in the house and it’s one of the many “rules” I’m glad we’ve stuck to.

Ok, back to the solar flares talk and putting my aluminum foil back on….

Comment

If it wasn’t for all of the cloud cover, last night most of us could have seen the northern lights here in Texas! But this was not from a solar flare. It was caused by a VERY long magnetic filliment that broke and hurled a CME into space. It was strong enough that the red glow of the northern lights could be seen from Texas, Arizona, and even from San Diego!

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                            If it wasn’t for all of the cloud cover, last night most of us could have seen the northern lights here in Texas! But this was not from a solar flare. It was caused by a VERY long magnetic filliment that broke and hurled a CME into space. It was strong enough that the red glow of the northern lights could be seen from Texas, Arizona, and even from San Diego!
                            I remember seeing the Norther lights once when I was a kid growing up in the southern panhandle of Texas. Doubt I realized how rare it was as I stood on my driveway mesmerized by the dancing waves of pink, red and green

Having recalled that moment, wonder what the sky would look like from CME big enough to damage electronics? Beautiful I would imagine, but it would be at quite a cost
                            Last edited by Playa; 04-24-2023, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X