hurricane season 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
    Rita was a horrible experience on the roads, no doubt. We spent 18 hours on a highway that should have only been a 5 hour trip. What Rita taught me is to leave earlier than everyone else. I would have already been in my safe spot before Ian hit Cuba.
    It taught me to leave last. My uncle waited 1 more day and there was no one on the road

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I will probably never bug out. House was built in 1949 and has seen the worst of the worst hurricanes, and the city has tippled the size of the bayou we drain into...

Comment

Originally posted by ccallarman View Post
        I have always wondered people's reasoning for staying behind when you're about to get hit head-on by major winds/storm surge. Not trying to be rude but can somebody explain maybe why people would make that decision?

The house I live in nor any single item I posses is worth risking my life over. Take what I can/need with me and get away has always been my mindset
        At least for the storm surge areas, I have no clue. The majority of deaths associated with hurricanes is people drowning in the storm surge areas. It's mind blowing how fast and high the water comes up. Some people end up getting stuck as low lying coastal roads often flood hours before the actual storm makes landfall. If you are ever down in a coastal community or a canal bay community, look at the water level in relation to the piers, bulkheads, etc. Add say, 10 feet to that for an average surge and that puts water over just about everything not sitting several feet above sea level.

A bit further inland out of the surge areas, where the dangers turn more to wind and possible tornados, it sometimes makes more sense to stay. However, even with that, the typical hurricane build code is for winds up to around 120. So, if a Cat 4 or 5 is heading your way, you probably should get the heck out of dodge as well. Not to mention, you are looking at multiple days with no power after the storm passes.

Regardless, the bottom line is possessions can be replaced, lives cannot. Having lived through a few of these events, I don't wish these storms on anyone. Prayers sent out for all that will be impacted by this storm.

Comment

I've lived my entire life in the path of hurricanes. It wasn't until working in Lake Charles and Bayou Dularge after the 2020/2021 hurricane seasons that I realized just how bad a hurricane can be. It's hard to understand until you personally experience it. Now, if I'm in the path of something similar, I'm probably heading north for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
            https://twitter.com/TheAstroNick/sta...79322599493632

These guys fly into hell on earth. I hate light turbulence on a united flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            That last one caught him off guard LOL

Comment

Florida man being Florida man in Ft. Meyers. I saw this on a live feed today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOTbS12-Me4"]Florida Man Hurricane Ian - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                That last one caught him off guard LOL
                That along with the other guy hurling in the barf bag right before that, lol. Those guys are nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post

Florida Man Hurricane Ian - YouTube
                  Let us pray (that he hadn’t previously reproduced).

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post

Florida Man Hurricane Ian - YouTube
                    What the heck was he doing? Wanting to swim back in?! lol

Comment

“House still intact. White caps on road behind me. So far no water in house which I’m grateful for. Thx for checking”

Ex stepmom in North Port Florida. She stayed. Freaking white caps on the road! Wild man. Wild lol. Info came from my SIL

Comment

2mph from a catagory 5.....i bet thats on purpose. My feeling is this will start to be referred to as a cat. 5 now that the storm has made land fall. I bet they tried to keep the panic down by calling it a cat 4 instead of a cat 5 earlier today

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                          2mph from a catagory 5.....i bet thats on purpose. My feeling is this will start to be referred to as a cat. 5 now that the storm has made land fall. I bet they tried to keep the panic down by calling it a cat 4 instead of a cat 5 earlier today
                          Huh? Our press thrives on fear?

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post

Insurance. They did the same last year in Louisiana. My weather app has had it at a Cat5 since mid morning. I even took a snap shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

big prayers for the fl folks tonight. hate riding a storm out at night...https://poweroutage.us/area/state/florida

Comment

Working...
                              X