CWD Discovered in Limestone County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
    what if I just bought my dream property that I'd like to high fence, and bring in better genetics?

without additional end users for the deer, there is no market for deer breeders.
    Lol, probably be better to bring in Santa gertrudis or beefmasters instead.

Comment

Originally posted by crc View Post
      Yes, your need for trophy deer supersedes everyone else that just want to hunt deer without them being infected. Great argument.

Cool argument comrade. What other rights would you like to remove from landowners?

Did you know that the first cases of CWD in Texas were from free range Mule deer? This isn’t a situation invented by deer breeders

Comment

that goes without saying... that's not really a "gotcha" comment.

the bigger question here is do we want to actually find out the source of CWD, or do we want to create enough panic to get the breeders out of business?
        Finding the source is great, but slowing the spread is even more important.

Can you legitimately say with a straight face that the transportation of exposed live deer across the state has not increased the risk of CWD spread significantly more than it would have spread otherwise?

Ill put this here for reference... and keep in mind this is from 2021 before all these more recent positive detections.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-09-26 144200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	24693104

Comment

Cool argument comrade. What other rights would you like to remove from landowners?

Did you know that the first cases of CWD in Texas were from free range Mule deer? This isn’t a situation invented by deer breeders
          Yeah it's unprecedented in these United States to actively manage and protect our wildlife for future generations. You're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
            Finding the source is great, but slowing the spread is even more important.

Can you legitimately say with a straight face that the transportation of exposed live deer across the state has not increased the risk of CWD spread significantly more than it would have spread otherwise?

Ill put this here for reference... and keep in mind this is from 2021 before all these more recent positive detections.
            how do you slow the spread of something without knowing how it's spreading? reactionary measures that facilitate the removal of a disliked industry?

the deer are going from PENS (a double or sometimes triple high fence environment) to another high fence environment. They're not taking deer out of pens and dumping them into public free range areas.

this entire argument is ridiculous. they're transporting deer from one container to another container.

if deer trailers were flipping over and the deer were running free, you'd have a better argument.

I can say with an absolute straight face that I think the exponential increase of testing has a lot more to do with the "spread" than the transportation of deer does.

Comment

how do you slow the spread of something without knowing how it's spreading? reactionary measures that facilitate the removal of a disliked industry?

the deer are going from PENS (a double or sometimes triple high fence environment) to another high fence environment. They're not taking deer out of pens and dumping them into public free range areas.

this entire argument is ridiculous. they're transporting deer from one container to another container.

if deer trailers were flipping over and the deer were running free, you'd have a better argument.

I can say with an absolute straight face that I think the exponential increase of testing has a lot more to do with the "spread" than the transportation of deer does.
              You just said that deer pens were probably being infected by the wild deer, and now you are saying that all the released deer are going to containers that cant spread disease beyond their borders.

That logic kinda makes it tough to have a serious conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                Yea but not in Texas until it was introduced recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Ummmm negative. Google it. Mule deer west TX

Comment

CWD Discovered in Limestone County

You just said that deer pens were probably being infected by the wild deer, and now you are saying that all the released deer are going to containers that cant spread disease beyond their borders.

I never made that statement. I asked a hypothetical question. My point is that these measures are focused on testing testing testing for positives but there’s nothing into stopping the source. Like your map. They find a new positive, then what’s the action? Yes another testing zone.

Did we give up on that and just admit defeat? Serious question.

What makes it hard to have a serious conversation is 90% of the focus being placed on about .01% of the whitetail population. We’re not going to get into a “high fences don’t really impede deer movement” discussion are we?
                  Last edited by kyle1974; 09-26-2022, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                    Ummmm negative. Google it. Mule deer west TX
                    Please refer to post #24 on this thread...

Comment

I never made that statement. I asked a hypothetical question. My point is that these measures are focused on testing testing testing for positives but there’s nothing into stopping the source. Did we give up on that and just admit defeat? Serious question.

What makes it hard to have a serious conversation is 90% of the focus being placed on about .01% of the whitetail population.

We’re not going to get into a “high fences don’t really impede deer movement” discussion are we?

Nope. Fences are definitely an impediment to deer movement. I mean I guess they are considering the thousands of deer that have been documented by permit holders as escaped over the last decade.

The focus is on the deer that move the most, whatever their percentage of the population. That just so happens to be deer in trailers, breeder/exotic or otherwise.

Hypothetically that was a nice backtrack. Now I know how Shaggy's girlfriend felt.

It Wasn't Me

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fg9EY5LjYI&ab_channel=elcoronelGOD"]Shaggy It Wasn't Me (Official Music Video) (uncensored) - YouTube[/ame]
                      Last edited by Encinal; 09-26-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

On another property, how can it show up in a deer that’s barely a year(by a few days), that genetically shouldn’t of got it, per DNA ? It wasn’t born with it as it parents have been tested, live and dead, along with multiple generations of off spring. Been no other deer or seman brought in, in over 7 years? Not to mention its been in a trap/pen it whole life.

So is where did it come from? Feed? Sabotage? Genetic trigger? Bird?

Seems No body cares, it’s just pointing fingers and kill kill kill.

I’m not a big breeder fan but I genuinely tired of the ideology of blame game and doom and gloom instead of so many research potentials.

Politics are really getting disgusting, it’s obviously has the potential to be coming from feed so do we shut any grain or feed down? Or just keep pointing fingers at breeders?

Wonder what would happen if King, Nulley, Briscoe had a positive hit in their herds? Nothing? maybe it should pop up on one of these ranches, then it would get fixed like Equine Piroplasmois did with a three year grace period
                        Last edited by Texans42; 09-26-2022, 03:05 PM.

Comment

I’m glad they aren’t naming the ranch.

Comment

On another property, how can it show up in a deer that’s barely a year(by a few days), that genetically shouldn’t of got it, per DNA ? It wasn’t born with it as it parents have been tested, live and dead, along with multiple generations of off spring. Been no other deer or seman brought in, in over 7 years? Not to mention its been in a trap/pen it whole life.

Wish i knew the answers to those questions. Would love to be able to try to prevent future spread in MORE effective ways, but that doesn't stop what we DO know, that moving animals with the disease spreads the disease.

Genetic trigger: From my understanding, spontaneous origin cases look different than contagious infection cases. Maybe they can look at that.

Sabotage? Who why?

Bird? From where? 100 miles away?

Feed? I guess thats possible but the concentration required seems like a stretch. Don't believe that transfer to Plant from Soil to Animal to Infection has ever been proved, and I have my doubts about this just like I do about Human infection.

Is 5 years not enough time to look back? I think cases like this probably warrant at least an investigation into that even though 5 years is the guideline for a reason.
                            Last edited by Encinal; 09-26-2022, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I’m not a big breeder fan but I genuinely tired of the ideology of blame game and doom and gloom instead of so many research potentials.

Politics are really getting disgusting, it’s obviously has the potential to be coming from feed so do we shut any grain or feed down? Or just keep pointing fingers at breeders?

Wonder what would happen if King, Nulley, Briscoe had a positive hit in their herds? Nothing maybe it should pop up on one of these ranches, then it would get fixed like Equine Piroplasmois did with a three year grace period

Hard to get a positive hit when you rarely, if ever test.

And we’ve all been around long enough to know that a questionable deer will never be voluntarily tested from one of those ranches.

Comment

Wish i knew the answers to those questions. Would love to be able to try to prevent future spread in MORE effective ways, but that doesn't stop what we DO know, that moving animals with the disease spreads the disease.

Genetic trigger: From my understanding, spontaneous origin cases look different than contagious infection cases. Maybe they can look at that.

Sabotage? Who why?

Bird? From where? 100 miles away?

Feed? I guess thats possible but the concentration required seems like a stretch. Don't believe that transfer to Plant from Soil to Animal to Infection has ever been proved, and I have my doubts about this just like I do about Human infection.

Is 5 years not enough time to look back? I think cases like this probably warrant at least an investigation into that even though 5 years is the guideline for a reason.
                                Doesn’t seem like there is a whole lot of concern on original origins or how.

I don’t know the answers either but I do wish the ideology would change to let’s seek to understand and not breeder bad boom, and I’m not even a breeder fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X