• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting comments
    I was blessed to like my job.
    And met lots of good friends doing it
    But I worked to live, not the reverse.
    If I could have made a living doing something I loved, retirement would have been a tough decision.
    But office politics, commuting, big city rat race and crime made it easy for me to leave it all ASAP.

I can tell you hunting, golf, and fishing trips during the week are much better than weekends.

Comment

Starting year 40 this year. Never really went to work many days that I haven't enjoyed. I should hang on to my job as long as possible. Going to the golf course around 1, 5-6 days a week doesn't suck. But there are to many places me and the boss lady want to go see and things we want to do. I am planning on retiring in 2 years when my insurance kicks in free. When I do retire I will not be going to play golf!

Comment

I haven't read the responses, but I can tell you what I've learned after being retired for about ten years. You have to find something to do to keep you busy. I do a lot of little things, like do stuff with the grandkids (rock polishing, launch model rockets, fishing & other outside activities), the wife and I travel, we buy crap at thrift stores, etc. and I sell it on ebay. Learn tio play golf. Get more time in fishing. Buy some land to stay busy on. I also do little chores that any 50 year old house would require. Find something so that you're not sitting on your butt in front of the TV for hours on end. Most folks can't live long like that.

Comment

If you have the funds then quit work. Live life. Average life span for a male in US is 78. Go do trips, see family, enjoy grandkids, do your hobbies. Do something you have always wanted to do. Get out of this rat race! I am 62 and if I had the funds there would be a vacuum in my office like a black hole as fast as I would be getting out that door. If you are going to sit on your butt and do nothing, then stay working. Time never waits.

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
            Turn 57 and think about it everyday actually (sometimes multiple times a day). Target is 60-62 primarily dependent on:
            1) The market - Past year has been pretty rough with the current regime. I pray things change and we return to some work normlacy that will calm the markets down.
            2) My job - I am still being valued, having fun, being challenged. Currently don't love my role, but I have a great network and boss at moment. Others times, loved my role...but not my boss. Think this is better situation
            3) Medical coverage gaps to 65. My employer doesn't offer a solution here, so we will be flying on our own from retirement to 65. This is why that even if 1 and 2 above are solid, I don't envision getting out any sooner.
            Have you looked into the gap insurance prices? Just getting quotes and the yearly cost would be between 10-14k for an individual. Prices vary with coverage and deductibles, but a gold plan from Blue Cross is 1185.00 per month. A bronze plan is 800.00 but it sure seems worthless if you got bad sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              Financial advisor
              I may need to hire you Shane, my 401K is diving faster than a kamikaze pilot on a ship.

Comment

I can retire in just over a year but not sure when I will, at a minimum it will be another 7 years. I’ve done a lot of stupid/ scary stuff over the years and retirement trumps them all. I fear retiring then just waiting around to die.
                Alan and I talk about this all the time and each time we shift on when each of us thinks we’ll go, although he’s more consistent than I am.
                I don’t think it really comes into view until I have my “thing to do” after I retire. At this point it looks like land and cattle but give me a week and that will change

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                  I may need to hire you Shane, my 401K is diving faster than a kamikaze pilot on a ship.
                  He is our guy. We are diving too. Who isn't? Atleast we can visit about hunting when we're doin business.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
                    I wish I could prevent down markets. That would be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                      He is our guy. We are diving too. Who isn't? Atleast we can visit about hunting when we're doin business.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
                      Yes sir. Cry on each other's shoulders and talk about how we can at least eat deer and hogs if we can't afford groceries.

Comment

Never say you are too old to Transition

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                        You must have been fairly young when you retired based on your avatar pic

I’m only 48 but heck I think about retirement. Maybe I’m just jealous of you guys
                        I’m too old to transition to something but I’m convinced there are days I’m burned out on what I do. I feel like what I do doesn’t really impact lives & is just a daily grind. Many times I wished I had a career that had an impact on others that I could see more value in what I do
                        Meanwhile I’ll stay focused on my retirement
                        In 2007, at 52 yrs old, I transitioned from working as a Conservation Fundraiser (DU, NRA, Houston Safari Club) to becoming an Offshore ROV Tech/Pilot. 15 years later it was the best move I could have made. Believe in yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                          Have you looked into the gap insurance prices? Just getting quotes and the yearly cost would be between 10-14k for an individual. Prices vary with coverage and deductibles, but a gold plan from Blue Cross is 1185.00 per month. A bronze plan is 800.00 but it sure seems worthless if you got bad sick.
                          Yes sir, I have and why I will likely start SS at earliest age of 62 to support funding our insurance needs up until 65 and beyond. I have run the models 100 different times and given our financial situation, life expectancy and what I want out of retirement life early...clearly best solution for us at this moment in time. Break over point I see for us is about 84 years old where it would pay more to defer SS longer. Given my savings outside SS, I see cashing in earlier as better for our situation.
                          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Working...
                          X