No announcement yet.

Tell me about retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the many perks of retirement is not having a schedule. When I make an appointment for a doctors visit or anything else, it’s kinda nice to just say, “whatever’s convenient for you,” when they ask when’s a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by bownutone View Post
      I retired last September at 62 from a high stress job, sold most of my belongings and moved to Alaska October 15th just in time for a nice winter (it was cold). Joined a gym which I never made time for while working. Days are as full as you want them to be. I spend time in the garden, fishing, hunting, hiking etc... I am able to spend more time with my kids and 5 grandsons (we all moved). I do not miss the Texas heat. Current temperature is 64 here right now. I feel better than I have in years and do not ever think about work. It was the right choice for me.
      I think you have the best retirement story so far. You family moved with you. That is great.

Comment

I retired about 9 months ago, at the age of 62.
        There are always honey-do's to take care of around our (paid-for) home, and I also golf 4 days a week with friends. That definitely doesn't suck. I can fish or hunt to fill out my calendar, as desired. So far, retirement has been everything that I hoped it would be. What day of the week is it, anyway??

Comment

Originally posted by Old Goat1 View Post
          I retired at 62. Thirteen years ago.
          You know how hard you worked on the weekends while you are working?
          Well everyday is a weekend.
          You will quickly find there is not enough hours in a day. Enjoy it at your won pace.

Comment

I spent 35 years as a teacher and coach in public schools, wife did 37 years. We retired to 88K acres in SW NM. We went from chasing kids to cows and love every minute of it. We were fortunate to have friends with large ranches that needed someone to help out. No neighbors and town is 50 miles. Retirement is awesome but I think everyone needs something to keep them busy.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
              I retired about 9 months ago, at the age of 62.
              There are always honey-do's to take care of around our (paid-for) home, and I also golf 4 days a week with friends. That definitely doesn't suck. I can fish or hunt to fill out my calendar, as desired. So far, retirement has been everything that I hoped it would be. What day of the week is it, anyway??
              It’s Thursday. And the fairways are calling your name.

Comment

My dad seems busier now than when he was working.

Comment

I will say this, before you reach the age to start drawing SS and sign up for Medicare, you better have your ducks in a row. It is not easy dealing with the Gov and all their deadlines and fines!

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    It’s Thursday. And the fairways are calling your name.
                    I retired 20 months ago and started playing golf again with my son and his 2 kids who are better than both of us. I found out yesterday that my favorite course gives seniors a 10 dollar discount on green fees during the week $$$$.

Comment

Originally posted by djc View Post
                      I've been working 50 plus hours a week since I was 17. I'm 62 now and thinking about retirement.
                      What do you do to fill your day?
                      I'll be working til I die most likely.

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but I am very interested in this topic. I am 62, enjoy my job and know retirement is in the near future, but I have no plans for retirement. I really want to work as long as I can. I mean, I work 2 weeks a month, not a bad deal. But retirement does intrigue me. Either way Im gonna be working so may as well get paid for it. Im torn, really.

Comment

I retired at 55. Was fortunate enough to to get retiree health coverage till 65. Only was I could do it. Rebuilt a cabin on Toledo Bend next to my 90 year old dad. Wife works 3 days a week, she likes the interaction. I fish 2 times a day most days. During hunting season a hunt most days and fish in the middle of the day. I’m almost 59 now and at 59.5 I start drawing 2 diff pensions and will start taking money out of some annuities. Wife and I travel some now but a lot more once I’m 59.5 years old. I had a very stressful job for a long time in oil exploration and drilling. Do not miss it at all. I have not been bored at all and would not change a thing about retiring at 55. I guess if you had a job you loved it would be different but life is to short to work until you are 62-65. Plan ahead, save money and enjoy life.

Comment

Turn 57 and think about it everyday actually (sometimes multiple times a day). Target is 60-62 primarily dependent on:
                            1) The market - Past year has been pretty rough with the current regime. I pray things change and we return to some work normlacy that will calm the markets down.
                            2) My job - I am still being valued, having fun, being challenged. Currently don't love my role, but I have a great network and boss at moment. Others times, loved my role...but not my boss. Think this is better situation
                            3) Medical coverage gaps to 65. My employer doesn't offer a solution here, so we will be flying on our own from retirement to 65. This is why that even if 1 and 2 above are solid, I don't envision getting out any sooner.
                            Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I retired the first time at 55 and enjoyed it, started a small business , worked more at our ranch and got in much better shape. After 6 months got an offer I could not refuse and jumped back in. Loved it but was commuting to Wtx. Retired again a couple years ago and have not looked back. Have plenty of hobbies, helping my kids start their businesses, and enjoying it more this time because more of my friends have also retired. We have a large time doing stuff together. My wife has also semi~retired and we do a lot together again. Been fun. One really good thing at least as I look at it, is time has slowed down just a little. I was on a fast ride with my jobs and this is a much better pace for me now and I enjoy things even more. I feel very blessed.

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
                                Turn 57 and think about it everyday actually (sometimes multiple times a day). Target is 60-62 primarily dependent on:
                                1) The market - Past year has been pretty rough with the current regime. I pray things change and we return to some work normlacy that will calm the markets down.
                                2) My job - I am still being valued, having fun, being challenged. Currently don't love my role, but I have a great network and boss at moment. Others times, loved my role...but not my boss. Think this is better situation
                                3) Medical coverage gaps to 65. My employer doesn't offer a solution here, so we will be flying on our own from retirement to 65. This is why that even if 1 and 2 above are solid, I don't envision getting out any sooner.
                                This is me to a T. Except I turn 59 next week.

Comment

Working...
                                X