Complete lowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete lowers

If you buy a complete lower from a manufacturer, is it designated as a rifle or pistol lower? If not, will it ever be designated as a rifle or pistol?

What would go on the form 4473?

Depends on how it’s set up.

If it comes with an actual stock, it comes in as a rifle. If it comes in with a pistol buffer, and maybe a brace, it’s classified as a pistol. Pretty sure you’re not supposed to switch from one to the other unless you file additional paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
      Depends on how it’s set up.

If it comes with an actual stock, it comes in as a rifle. If it comes in with a pistol buffer, and maybe a brace, it’s classified as a pistol. Pretty sure you’re not supposed to switch from one to the other unless you file additional paperwork.
      Thats not correct. The upper determines what it is. If its just the lower with no upper, its transferred as "other" whether it has a stock or not.

Comment

I always buy mine stripped and they are all "Others"

Comment

Originally posted by floyd80 View Post
          Thats not correct. The upper determines what it is. If its just the lower with no upper, its transferred as "other" whether it has a stock or not.
          He's talking about buying a complete lower.

My understanding it if a complete lower is shipped and logged as a pistol, it is a pistol and can have an upper less than 16" added and at least at this time, may have a brace.

A complete lower that is shipped as a rifle must have an upper that is no less than 16" unless that lower is SBR'd.

Comment

So a stripped lower transfers as “other”? I forgot to ask when I did The paperwork on mine. I heard that if you register it as a rifle you cannot turn it into a pistol setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Pjiwaxfactor View Post
              So a stripped lower transfers as “other”? I forgot to ask when I did The paperwork on mine. I heard that if you register it as a rifle you cannot turn it into a pistol setup.
              Correct on the stripped lower part. The change part is confusing, for example.. In Texas there is no trace of sales, so if I sold you a stripped lower that I had originally configured to be a rifle but you bought it and changed it into a pistol... what do you do then?

Comment

Lowers are receivers, period. It doesn't matter if they are complete or stripped. An AR receiver, a Glock receiver, and a rem 700 are all marked the same.

If your FFL is marking them as anything else, he is doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                  Lowers are receivers, period. It doesn't matter if they are complete or stripped. An AR receiver, a Glock receiver, and a rem 700 are all marked the same.

So what should the FFL dealer put on the form 4473 if it is a complete lower with a rifle stock?

Comment

gonna be a lot of FFls in trouble then. My stripped came as other, but it is still a receiver.

so a Rem700 receiver is marked as a pistol receiver? hmmm.
                    or
                    a Glock receiver is marked as a rifle receiver? another hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                      gonna be a lot of FFls in trouble then. My stripped came as other, but it is still a receiver.

so a Rem700 receiver is marked as a pistol receiver? hmmm.
                      or
                      a Glock receiver is marked as a rifle receiver? another hmmm.
                      on the 4473 there are three boxes.

Handgun, Long Gun(rifle or shotgun), and Other (frame, receiver, etc.)

What I'm saying is there is no such thing as a pistol receiver, rifle receiver, etc
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                        So what should the FFL dealer put on the form 4473 if it is a complete lower with a rifle stock?
                        Other (frame, receiver, etc.)

Types of firearms include, but are not limited to pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame, and firearms that are neither handguns nor long guns (rifles or of the original shotguns), such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell (pistol including, for example, grip firearm) or NFA firearms (machinegun, silencer, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, destructive device, or “any other weapon”).

Straight from the directions on the 4473
                        Last edited by mmoses; 06-22-2022, 08:56 AM.

Comment

on the 4473 there are three boxes.

Handgun, Long Gun(rifle or shotgun), and Other (frame, receiver, etc.)

What I'm saying is there is no such thing as a pistol receiver, rifle receiver, etc
                          So if a FFL dealer put a complete lower as a rifle or a pistol, then it was done wrong. If it was done wrong, does that now make it a pistol or rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                            So if a FFL dealer put a complete lower as a rifle or a pistol, then it was done wrong. If it was done wrong, does that now make it a pistol or rifle?
                            Not a lawyer or an ATF agent but no I don't believe so. His error does not reclassify the firearm. Also, that form stays at the FFL and never gets sent anywhere(unless they go out of business).

Comment

^^^^ This ^^^^^ it is classified as ( other )

Comment

Working...
                              X