Murder hornet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
    As inefficient as they may be honey bees make up for their efficiency with range and sheer numbers. As an example, a single Mason bee pollinates 20X better than a single honey bee, but honey bees cover 2700X the area with 50,000 members per hive.

Either way, for the sake of the honey bee, that the murder hornet doesn't land yet another punch to the honey bee's population. Dealing with varroa, neonics has already proven to be more than they can handle.
    I’ll take mason and bumble over Honey all day. Just like id take lessor prairie chicken over a pheasant or Bighorn sheep over a Suffolk everyday. Our system evolved with those species

Comment

Pretty cool how they are fighting it.

“As soon as they see the hornet coming to the water source to drink, the guy jumps out with a net, and he grabs it. Then, ever so carefully, he ties a string on it and lets it go.
      “There’s a spotter watching it now with binoculars, and he watches this thing as it flies, because obviously it’s going to fly back to the nest. When they find it, they mark where the nest is.
      “And at night they come back and with a flame-thrower, pretty much go at it, just follow them back to their base camp, and when they least expect it, boom, go after them.”
      It’s not a matter of if but when the “murder hornet’’ will hit the East Coast, experts warned The Post on Sunday. The deadly meat-eating Asian giant hornet, which has been known to kill up to 50 pe…

Comment

Im also curious why the are called "Murder Hornets"? Is that a media thing?

Aren't these the Giant Japanese Hornets?

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
          Two of the worst wasps on the planet from what I have gotten out of watching documentaries, are some wasp from Australia, naturally, everything over there is bad. Then those murder hornets from Japan. I don't remember which is considered worse, both very bad, very aggressive.

I have also been told by my father in law, who is not always exactly correct. That there is some large wasp that burrows holes in trees up in the north west, that is bad news. It's supposed to be very large, makes holes up in the tops of pine trees or other tall timber and not something you ever want to make mad. He used to be a logger up in Oregon many years ago. He said those wasps were not something you ever wanted to run into when you were way up a tree, cutting the top or even cutting a tree down, then cutting or moving it around.
          I don't know how the Tarantula Hawk stacks up on aggression, but it's sting is comparable with anything on earth.
          Never been stung, but have seen 2 people(different occasions) stung by one.
          It's not your typical reaction.
          You lose your breath, and pretty much the ability to react.
          Make a grown man cry fo sho.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            I don't know how the Tarantula Hawk stacks up on aggression, but it's sting is comparable with anything on earth.
            Never been stung, but have seen 2 people(different occasions) stung by one.
            It's not your typical reaction.
            You lose your breath, and pretty much the ability to react.
            Make a grown man cry fo sho.
            The Tarantula hawk ranks tied for #1 with the Bullet Ant and Warrior Wasp for the worst pain produced from a bug sting

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post

They murder bees. Or best word the media could come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                I guess that makes sense.

I've seen all the videos about them back in the day on how the wreck shop on smaller bee's but never saw them referred to as Murder Hornets.

Comment

Well, maybe some good will come of this if the Murdering Hornets agree to kill off just the Killer Bees?

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      I ONLY thought humans could be murdered. Not insects?
                      The media is personifying an insect....Like Cecil the Lion.

Comment

I wonder if any beekeepers have tried putting a screen around their hives, with holes small enough for the bees to negotiate but too small for the big bad hornets from hell to get through? Kind of like houses for wrens with small openings to keep out the sparrows.

Comment

Um, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-minute.html

Comment

Just saw on the news . . A normal bee has a stinger 1/16" . . Murder Hornet has one 1/14" . . Dammit . .

Comment

Nasty little critters.

Comment

It’s bad enough finding a **** red paper wasp nest in a deer blind. Can you imagine climbing 10’ up and finding one of these??

Comment

Working...
                                X