Aging by jaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sotx View Post
    What works for me is cementum annuli aging. Is it a perfect science, no, but it has not failed me yet. Over the years the results have always come back to what I thought I knew what a specific deer's age was. This past season I killed a buck I was pretty danged sure was a 7 year old. Upon removing the jaw I freaked out a little bit because the teeth were not worn as I expected. The visual made me think 5 and our lease member "age guru" (you know the type) was going on and on saying deer was 4. Even after showing him 5 years of pictures. Don't get me started. Anyways, sent the teeth off and boom, 7 year old. I could go on and on of stories like this. For me CA has not let me down. I am not saying it the be all end all, just saying it works for me and I have come to trust it over tooth wear.
    I’m glad it works for you. Your experience is the opposite of just about everyone else I know of.

Originally posted by LuckyCards2006 View Post
    We have been doing the cementum annuli aging for 6 years now, we are giving it up this year cause of some of the research we have found shows it’s only 62% accurate. I can let you know first person experience, I sent a known tooth in, ear tagged doe, 5.5yr old, they aged her at 7.5, this has happened three times. The first two times were from deerage.com and another one I can’t remember at the moment. I have a hard time trusting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I’ve often heard it’s only about 60% accurate. Our guesses are at least that accurate. Whenever people ask me about it I always just tell them to save their money.

Comment

I noticed this year that the deer on the north side of our lease age completely different from deer on the south side. North side is very sandy, south end has clay soils. 6+ year old deer jaws on the south side look like 4 year old jaws from the north side.

Comment

Originally posted by TXDUCKCUTTER View Post
        Tooth aging is a waist of time.I killed 2 known 6.5 yr olds with pics to back it up and they showed 4.5.Full protein low fence ETX Jan-August.Alot of good hunters have been booted over this deal...
        Dead on. Tooth aging sucks everywhere but in east tx you can guarantee it under ages deer. I'm stunned how bad it is after many years of actual history on deer.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
          Dead on. Tooth aging sucks everywhere but in east tx you can guarantee it under ages deer. I'm stunned how bad it is after many years of actual history on deer.
          This! I’m stunned at how many people still use it as gospel.

And it’s not just east Texas. It under-ages in the hill country and down south as well. Although it seems down south it’s not as bad but I still don’t trust it. On our place in the hill country it’s not uncommon AT ALL for the teeth to underage by 4 or 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
            This! I’m stunned at how many people still use it as gospel.

And it’s not just east Texas. It under-ages in the hill country and down south as well. Although it seems down south it’s not as bad but I still don’t trust it. On our place in the hill country it’s not uncommon AT ALL for the teeth to underage by 4 or 5 years.
            Absolutely. I hauled a known 8 year old to the taxi last year and a well know expert called him 4 years old. I showed him pics of a deer on my phone and he agreed that pic was a 5 plus year old deer. That's when I showed him it was a 2015 pic of the same deer he was now calling 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
              I’m glad it works for you. Your experience is the opposite of just about everyone else I know of.

I’ve often heard it’s only about 60% accurate. Our guesses are at least that accurate. Whenever people ask me about it I always just tell them to save their money.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                By definition, using the Serveringhaus method, one side says 5.5 and the other hints at 6.5 (partially dished out 4th tooth (1st molar)). But, the technique tends to fall apart at older ages. For most management purposed, mature seems to work. Little value in aging deer past 6.5.
                Spot on assessment!

I've observed that the majority of problems with tooth aging stems from people who don't have a clear understanding of the methodology, and then compound that problem by applying ages beyond their limited management use. Deerguy, Brokeno, and Deerwatcher clearly understand the methodology, because regardless of the deer's actual age, the teeth say 5 or 6.

Comment

Working...
                X