Close Range Turkey Call, When a Diaphragm Call isn’t an Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close Range Turkey Call, When a Diaphragm Call isn’t an Option

Trying to prepare for a turkey hunt at the end of the month. I have a Lynch Box call that sounds good, but I am wanting something quieter for close range. Would like something that requires less movement. I know mouth calls are the way to go, but I have tried and tried and just can’t keep them in my mouth. Any advice?

Push button. Takes only one hand to operate whereas a box requires both. It will allow to keep a gun shouldered and possibly propped on your knee and you can always just lay the call on the ground when it’s time to move to the trigger. That’s about only option I can think of. And I assume you have tried trimming diaphragm down so it fits your palate correctly? Most require trimming.

Comment

How old is your Lynch box?

If it is an original from Birmingham that's about as good as it gets. You won't find one quieter.

Just practice. Practice a lot.

Low clucks and purrs for up close is the ticket.

That said a good slate call with plexiglas striker works good too.

Comment

Used to have a push button that mounted on the barrel of the shot gun, it was pretty handy didn’t sound great was good enough. Like mentioned above soft clucks and purrs will usually seal the deal
        Last edited by Jcjohnson; 03-13-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Have you tried a “jr” size diaphragm?

For quieter calling, low movement I’d use a slate call. You can find holders that strap to your leg so it only requires 1 hand

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
            Push button. Takes only one hand to operate whereas a box requires both. It will allow to keep a gun shouldered and possibly propped on your knee and you can always just lay the call on the ground when it’s time to move to the trigger. That’s about only option I can think of. And I assume you have tried trimming diaphragm down so it fits your palate correctly? Most require trimming.
            This...Push Button easiest and less movement than box or slate. I’ve actually used my mouth before without a diaphragm call. Purrs, putts, soft yelps, etc...aren’t that hard and don’t have to be loud if close enough. I’d keep at the diaphragm though. I have a small roof of my mouth and always have to trim and bend them to fit and make that sweet music I’m looking for. Good luck

Comment

Agree with finding a smaller diaphragm call and putting it in your mouth daily until you’re over the gag reflex and can make some decent turkey sounds. There’s nothing more real sounding than a good diaphragm call.

Comment

push button, but you can learn the diaphragm

Comment

I always have one of these on my shotgun. It’s great when they are close. Clucks and purrs sound pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB3A082D-2938-4952-8C7F-286BD95BC168.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	24574731

Comment

What are some of the better push button calls? It doesn’t need to be a collectors piece.

Comment

These!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Slate calls are my favorite "finishing" calls.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

No movement using a mouth call.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                            No movement using a mouth call.
                            I trimmed and trimmed and couldnt keep it in my mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                              This...Push Button easiest and less movement than box or slate. I’ve actually used my mouth before without a diaphragm call. Purrs, putts, soft yelps, etc...aren’t that hard and don’t have to be loud if close enough. I’d keep at the diaphragm though. I have a small roof of my mouth and always have to trim and bend them to fit and make that sweet music I’m looking for. Good luck
                              Do you have a push button call you recommend?

Comment

Working...
                              X