The Wall, another opinion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wall, another opinion!

Let's start out by saying I am a conservative. More so than lot's of you on here. The wall they are going to build with the eminent domain rule with lots of ranchers will be a problem. How about if you owned land on the Rio Grande river and government said we cant build it in the middle of the river. We have to purchase so many acres from you 100 yards from the river and go all the way thru your property. You and your family lose all access to the river. That's where your livestock and deer watered. No more fishing, swimming, are recreation on the river. Just food for thought. I'm for the wall but have no idea how to do it and not ruin lives. Burn me if you want. I have thick skin.

There are some things in life that are much bigger and more important than the things you listed. What happens to your property and your family in the long run. You got to be willing to look at the big picture and the long term future.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
      There are some things in life that are much bigger and more important than the things you listed. What happens to your property and your family in the long run. You got to be willing to look at the big picture and the long term future.

Costing you and family thousands of dollars. No big deal, just discussing the other side. Would be the same on any river in Texas with a country border.

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post

Yep

Comment

I don’t so much think they would be doing this along the whole rio grande, but I could be completely wrong as I have not read any of the proposals. Also I feel it would be hard to find a property owner that would not be perfectly fine with a wall or fence on their property to keep trespassers out...

Comment

Well one solution maybe would be to have the goverment build a lake or two 10-15 acres in size and irrigate to keep them full.

Comment

I am against govt seizure of property, so I get what you are saying. But if I had land there I would be glad to have the wall between me and that craphole.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                I am against govt seizure of property, so I get what you are saying. But if I had land there I would be glad to have the wall between me and that craphole.
                Just talking and not arguing. What if you had no problem on your property. I'm just curious. I own property on the Colorado river in Mills county. It would hurt me bad on grazing for livestock if they moved the fence 100 yards from the river. No big deal.

Comment

I imagine they will be digging a lot of tanks and what not, roads for patrol and maintenance, etc. beyond that I imagine it will go a lot like when a new highway goes in. Folks will lose some land, be compensated for it, and probably get more than it's worth. It will hurt the smaller landowners the most, I reckon.

Not a great situation, but necessary in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                    Just talking and not arguing. What if you had no problem on your property. I'm just curious. I own property on the Colorado river in Mills county. It would hurt me bad on grazing for livestock if they moved the fence 100 yards from the river. No big deal.
                    I guess its a risk/reward thing. I may be mistaken, but anywhere along the border has potential to become a problem.

Comment

I want to say farming is much bigger than cattle on the border. But if you need access for livestock you could fence the entire length of an owners property but leave access gates open to water. They would also make pinch points for travel that could be more easily monitored. And if you need access to the river for farming, I am sure they could run canals. In reality though the parts of the mighty Rio Grande that I have seen, I could almost spit across.

Comment

From a livestock perspective, perhaps it will help the fever tick quarantine and eradication efforts? This could decrease operating expenses for many ranchers.

Comment

Gate

I was looking at some property on the border a while back and if I remember right, it was on the other side of the wall they started building several years ago. You had full access through a locked gate. I know many are thinking, "Doesn't sound like a very effective wall." Prolly not, but I doubt they're going to re-wall parts that already have it.

There was still quite a bit of land between the the wall and the river (they usually build in straight lines. I joked with the wife that we could retire there and eventually when we had grandkids they could swim in the river. We could tell our girls, "Oh they're having a great time. They're wet backing right now."

Comment

Don't know how it is going to play out for it will be either extremely profitable for the landowners or they will be totally screwed. It appears they have lawyered up and even have a pretty vocal campaign already. Stay tuned!

Comment

If I was a landowner on the Rio Grande, I wouldn't want the gubment seizing my land. They can monitor with drones or something else high tech.

Comment

Working...
                              X