Securing an ATV at the lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    I just bought a used ATV and I would really rather not trailer it back and forth. I hunt at a friend's ranch plus an adjoining place we lease. We have not had thief problems but of course it is always possible if not inevitable. Buying a storage container is not in the budget right now. I know that a determined thief with the right tools will get it no matter what I do (will have insurance for that) but I'm looking for the best way to thwart casual crooks. I have considered buying one of those locking boots people put on trailers that immobilize one wheel and cover the lug nuts but they look a bit flimsy. There is chain that can't be cut with bolt cutters ($10/ft!) I could buy some of that but under the carport where I plan to keep it there is nothing to chain to. Is there a way to chain it to itself so it can't be rolled? I guess I could dig a big hole and fill it with Quickcrete and anchor the chain to that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    If a professional thief hits us it I can file an insurance claim - I just want to make stealing it as difficult as possible for wandering meth-heads
    I wouldn't waste my money on a cut proof chain. As mentioned, rats would be my concern.

Comment

A DeWalt cordless grinder can cut through any chain or lock that is made,...…..you need to get it out of sight. You might consider parking it in the brush, covered with a canvas, camo tarp.

Comment

A used cargo trailer,hitch lock,and a chain run through a wheel.If it's not a very attractive cargo trailer,you'll never have a thing to worry about.Found one on C.L.several years ago,cheap.Kept corn in too.It was handy at the place.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

John, I third the point about the rats. Those little critters can make short work of your buggy. I have to trailer mine for 6 hours and hate it but it really beats the alternative. After I retire, I will get a storage container, but for now I just suck it up and trailer it.

Comment

Is it not an option to load it in the bed of your truck?
            That would be best and you don't have to trailer it.

I do this during season. Strap my cooler to the back of it and one on the tailgate.
            Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by HunterU; 09-11-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Are you able to build a small utility shed, out of sight out of mind? That may help with mice too depending on how well you build it. You could also get a nice cover for it and go park it out in the brush where nobody would know to look.

Comment

Rats and mice have done some serious damage to atvs at the camp when left out.

Cargo trailer with a ramp. Sprinkle snake away at the lower door seam keeps little critters out.

A well hidden trail camera looking over camp also helps. Everyone loves tracking down a perp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I take a wheel with me if I think it’ll be a problem. Could also take the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like many have said, just due to rats chewing on wires is why I trailer my UTV back and forth.

Comment

i chain mine to my camper

Comment

Originally posted by rjet View Post
                        Was my first thoughts also. Had them do $1400 worth of damage to my grizzly. Upgraded to a UTV and bought a cargo trailer to store it in for that reason.

They hit my ranger... was going to have to replace the entire harness as Polaris uses 1 piece harness but the mechanic had some extra plugs from old harnesses he took out. $100 later I was on my way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I did not have an indoor secure area or if I could not trailer it I would hide it away from camp in the timber with a camo tarp over it. Rats can be a problem in some areas and not in others. We hunted around Thurber for about 20 years. The ranch trucks and atvs never had any rat chewing damage.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

When Googling the rat/mice problem with ATVs I saw lots of people saying to use mothballs, dryer sheets, peppermint oil and a product called FreshCab. There were just as many people saying none of those worked for them. The most inventive idea was a guy who said he parks his quad on top of some kind of wire mesh attached to a solar fence charger. I wonder if that would work?

Comment

At my old lease, we were lucky to have not had a single theft in the 11 years I was there. One guy left his Ranger out there all the time. Another left his 4-wheelers during the season. I carried mine in the bed of my truck each trip.
                              The guy who left his 4-wheelers bought two big shipping crates with doors on them. He locked the ATV's up in there (granted, anyone with a crowbar could take the door off quickly).
                              He had $500 worth of mice damage to his wiring once, and another $350 another time.
                              For some reason, the Ranger sitting under a covering was never attacked by the rodents.
                              Mice also chewed up the little air tube in the gas tank on my ATV stored inside my barn at home.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                                The most inventive idea was a guy who said he parks his quad on top of some kind of wire mesh attached to a solar fence charger. I wonder if that would work?
                                Hmmmm...
                                Last edited by BrianL; 09-11-2019, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X