No announcement yet.

Meat chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could yall share some pics of the coups/pens that yall keep the cornishx birds in?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
      Could yall share some pics of the coups/pens that yall keep the cornishx birds in?
      Will do in a bit. We have a makeshift brooder inside the house using our 2nd bathroom tub.. I know, my wife's awesome

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
        Your aren't in South Texas are you? I've got a good plucker you could try out. Once you use one, you won't want to go without.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
        I will take you up on that sometime. Will return it with some fresh chicken.

Comment

We do 3,000 to 5,000 a year all on pasture. We don't do cornish x as they don't survive the altitude here (7200 ft) well. We raise Freedom Rangers and have great success with them. They take about 10-14 days longer than the cornish, but we don't lose near as many and average a 4 pound carcass.

I would suggest either rationing their feed for the first 3 weeks and only feeding 12 hours on and 12 hours off or moving their feeders around so that you don't get birds that park it in front of the feeder and then can't get up and have a heart attack.

As for processing, if you don't have the equipment, a turkey fryer makes a great scalder. Add 2 - 3 drops off dawn dish soap to your water. It helps get the feathers off of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
            I will take you up on that sometime. Will return it with some fresh chicken.
            Say when.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

We always help out the local 4-H and FFA members and buy their left over or cull show broilers. Keep plenty in the freezer to take camping, bbq ing and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                Mine are 16’x10’ and hold 100 broilers to slaughter. They are moved daily and even twice daily as they grow closer to butchering.

We feed fermented non-GMO, organic feed. This batch will likely have cockerels between 5-6lbs and pullets between 4-5lbs at 7.5 weeks. I couldn’t imagine what they would weigh at 12 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome set up. Tell me more about your feed. Where do you get it from. We tried pallet loads from Coyote Creek I think. Was pricey and frankly meat chickens didn't do as well

Comment

Tag into this conversation.

Comment

My kids raise them for FFA. At 42 days they weigh around 10lbs. We take ours to the Lilja Farms to get processed. Definitely worth the $3. If anyone wants any my kids have some in the freezer for $12 each.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                        Awesome set up. Tell me more about your feed. Where do you get it from. We tried pallet loads from Coyote Creek I think. Was pricey and frankly meat chickens didn't do as well

This is the first batch of broilers on Coyote Creek. We switched earlier this year from Lonestar Non-GMO (outside of Waco) simply because we wanted to go organic (we were very happy with Lonestar for both layers and broilers). I raised a batch off of TSC organic last fall and these seem to be performing better. I’ll know for sure at slaughter.

I’ve tried soy-free non-GMO with lackluster results and was sure I wouldn’t go back, but I’m about to start a test run from Coyote Creek with their soy-free starter. It has multiple protein sources, including crab and cold-water wild fish meal, but what convinced me to give it a shot is the Fertrell involvement in the rationing. A 2013 experiment (not mine) showed an Omega 6:3 ratio of 3:1 from soy-free broilers-that’s comparable to grass-fed beef and huge (to me) from a health perspective.

My layers are on soy-free Coyote Creek and have done very well.

Non-GMO from Lonestar is about .35/lb by ton (I think). I buy the Coyote Creek for .49/lb by the ton, so it’s not cheap-but reasonable for what I consider quality fresh-milled feed. I pull my trailer up and they fill it straight into barrels. We ferment it for 2-4 days depending on temps. I’ll know on April 16th whether fermenting improves FCR or simply eliminates waste.

Comment

I don't now but grew up eatin' barnyard chickens from grandma's house, that's how I'd do it if I were gonna go into raisin' them for food again, just let the layin' hens hatch off a few nest every year then kill n pluck as needed. We also ate a fair amount of guineas and the occasional duck or turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                            I don't now but grew up eatin' barnyard chickens from grandma's house, that's how I'd do it if I were gonna go into raisin' them for food again, just let the layin' hens hatch off a few nest every year then kill n pluck as needed. We also ate a fair amount of guineas and the occasional duck or turkey.

My personal preference is the dark, firm meat of a heritage bird. The stock is beyond comparison to hybrid meat birds.

Comment

Originally posted by JonW View Post
                              This is the first batch of broilers on Coyote Creek. We switched earlier this year from Lonestar Non-GMO (outside of Waco) simply because we wanted to go organic (we were very happy with Lonestar for both layers and broilers). I raised a batch off of TSC organic last fall and these seem to be performing better. I’ll know for sure at slaughter.

I’ve tried soy-free non-GMO with lackluster results and was sure I wouldn’t go back, but I’m about to start a test run from Coyote Creek with their soy-free starter. It has multiple protein sources, including crab and cold-water wild fish meal, but what convinced me to give it a shot is the Fertrell involvement in the rationing. A 2013 experiment (not mine) showed an Omega 6:3 ratio of 3:1 from soy-free broilers-that’s comparable to grass-fed beef and huge (to me) from a health perspective.

My layers are on soy-free Coyote Creek and have done very well.

Non-GMO from Lonestar is about .35/lb by ton (I think). I buy the Coyote Creek for .49/lb by the ton, so it’s not cheap-but reasonable for what I consider quality fresh-milled feed. I pull my trailer up and they fill it straight into barrels. We ferment it for 2-4 days depending on temps. I’ll know on April 16th whether fermenting improves FCR or simply eliminates waste.

Thanks, I suspect we have a lot in common regarding what and how we grow things

Comment

About how much feed does it take to raise a cornishx for 12 weeks?

Comment

Working...
                                X