No announcement yet.

Roundup (glyphosate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another immensely important point regarding our "inability to feed people without gmo's" is the fact that 50% of American produce is thrown away before it reaches supermarket shelves for ridiculous reasons like not conforming to average shapes and sizes. This is absurd. Anything that doesn't look "perfect" is just discarded as unmarketable. So considering that alone, we already have 100% more food available. It's just in a dump . . .

There are companies like "Imperfect Produce" and "Hungry Harvest" that are trying to combat this idiocy by delivering these mildly "imperfect" produce items to people's doors at around 30% less in price than their average grocery store cost. It's a great idea.

Comment

I guess if you're willing to risk your farm and livelihood on some practices that might work versus the practices you use and know work then feel free. I for one assure you my family won't. Always easier to risk somebody else's farm than your own, that would be assuming you had one to lose. I guess we could attempt to reason with the army worms and ask them to behave next time rather than hit with Bifen, or we could just burn the field to kill the army worms, of course we lose the hay and wheat crop but that's a risk you are willing us to take.......farmers aren't stupid and have a pile of capital invested at risk, if you can prove a method to save money (diesel, chemical, etc) and result in an equal or greater yield they would all over it, fact is there isn't currently a viable alternative than current herbicides and pesticides other than genetically changing crops to become more resistant but then we can whine about the genetic engineering since we should all just be planting the same maize that the Indians did........

Comment

Im going to keep using it and use my brain for a little common sense.

Comment

We put out probably 1000+ gallons a year. It ain’t going nowhere anytime soon.

Good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
            I guess if you're willing to risk your farm and livelihood on some practices that might work versus the practices you use and know work then feel free. I for one assure you my family won't. Always easier to risk somebody else's farm than your own, that would be assuming you had one to lose. I guess we could attempt to reason with the army worms and ask them to behave next time rather than hit with Bifen, or we could just burn the field to kill the army worms, of course we lose the hay and wheat crop but that's a risk you are willing us to take.......farmers aren't stupid and have a pile of capital invested at risk, if you can prove a method to save money (diesel, chemical, etc) and result in an equal or greater yield they would all over it, fact is there isn't currently a viable alternative than current herbicides and pesticides other than genetically changing crops to become more resistant but then we can whine about the genetic engineering since we should all just be planting the same maize that the Indians did........
            So to clarify, as far as roundup and gmo's go, we're not talking about making the crops resistant to to insects, heat, cold, drought, etc, we're talking about making the crops resistant to roundup, so that food can be covered with it and absorb it without dying, and then humans ultimately eat it. That's a big difference. I'm all for naturally selecting certain traits through breeding programs, hybridization, and MAYBE some genetic modification for things like drought. I say maybe because it isn't simple. Genes are tied together and when you screw with some you often mess up something else. And then there is ALWAYS the risk of said gmo escaping and contaminating other crops.

I don't disagree with you that the alternative is a lower yield. But if it is made illegal, the market compensates. With less produce available, the price slightly increases. So it is unlikely that farmers would suffer. And if the array of negative health effects in the previous links I posted are indeed correct (seems more and more that they are), then paying a little bit more for an ear of corn is a preferable alternative.

Comment

easy fix, those that want more expensive food can buy certified organic, the option is already there it's called free choice.

Comment

so let's throw the baby out with the bath water, so now we can't feed our cows since we have round up ready alfalfa and we are for banning roundup so instead of the higher protein clean alfalfa we will feed weed filled alfalfa and of course we can't sell the extra since nobody wants it full of weeds.......then we will be forced to utilize other more weed specific herbicides resulting in multiple applications of different and more expensive herbicides which also results in higher diesel consumption....sounds like a fool proof plan

Comment

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
                  so let's throw the baby out with the bath water, so now we can't feed our cows since we have round up ready alfalfa and we are for banning roundup so instead of the higher protein clean alfalfa we will feed weed filled alfalfa and of course we can't sell the extra since nobody wants it full of weeds.......then we will be forced to utilize other more weed specific herbicides resulting in multiple applications of different and more expensive herbicides which also results in higher diesel consumption....sounds like a fool proof plan
                  Who said the weeds were “bad”, there’s a bunch out there that will compete with alfalfa on protein content and palatability plus you don’t have buy seed and can cut more often.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    There is, ground covers, like clover etc.... as well as 1000s of other things. That would require learning though, and involve effort, so we would rather just spray a cocktail of chemicals from the local store.
                    Not to mention, you can patent roundup, not much money to be made in using what mother nature gives us.
                    They could give agent orange a new name, put it on the shelf with all the same ingredients listed clearly on the front, and 99.9% of America would use it without ever questioning anything. People could be dying and well say, "just pay attention to your PPE",
                    Proprietary formulas can be thrown in as well. It could contain cyanide and kill you dead, and the FDA doesn't require any company, foreign or domestic to let you know, "This product contains cyanide".
                    Of all the countries that have banned glyphosate, Merica probably never will.
                    We're all about pollution here in America and it's only getting worse.
                    You do realize one of the two ingredients of agent orange is 2-4d. One of the most common broadleaf herbicides available today.

Comment

I thought we had some snowflakes on here. Now I know we do. Smh

Comment

If refusing to bow down to corporate overlords and giving a **** about the natural world makes me a snowflake, consider me a snowman ⛄️

Comment

Personally I am more worried about the food that is imported into this country from foreign countries that have no regs.. We have no idea what we are being subjected to when eating that are we have no way of knowing that it is imported..
                          I watched a documentary on the imported seafood industry and the amount that enters this country and that was failing inspection was phenomenal..

80% that was inspected failed but the FDA only has enough man power to inspect roughly 10%. So 80% of only 10% fails... the other 90% makes to Americas table...….

Im sure the imported beef market isn't much better....

In the mean time we need to bring back Chlordane(a lot of you youngins have never heard of this)for a few years to eradicate the fire ants..
                          Last edited by PondPopper; 12-27-2018, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Lots of farmers here. If you you gentlemen are so passionate and confident in all of these alternative methods you should head down to the bank, borrow a small fortune, and get an operation going. Farming is easy with all of the government assistance.
                            Last edited by skinsfan; 12-27-2018, 06:28 PM.

Comment

One of the largest ag/gmo companies was recently sold to Chem China...think on that as well for what the future holds.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
                                Lots of farmers here. If you you gentlemen are so passionate and confident in all of these alternative methods you should head down to the bank, borrow a small fortune, and get an operation going. Farming is easy with all of the government assistance.
                                Standing O.

Comment

Working...
                                X