Minimum amount of land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
    This being said, you can commingle properties for purposes of ag valuations. I believe the term my local assessor uses is "common use". I'd assume this applies to wildlife too. I'm checking on that locally.
    Now that is interesting! Never heard of being able to commingle to meet the minimum. Is that a county by county thing also or a state law? I'm guessing county based, but I'll let the guy who actually knows a couple of things about this stuff fill me in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
      It all depends on what's next to it.

I do a awful lot without putting my pants on.

We just got rid of 10 acres that had a nosy neighbor nextdoor....

the 140 acres we are building on next feels like it might be big enough, for now.
      Y'all got a REALLY cool looking 140 acres!

Comment

I grew up on 20 acres. We had horses, cows, chickens, and pigs with a big pond too. I think that's about the right size, but as stated above it really depends on what's around the property.

Comment

I’d figure 3 acres per head if you don’t want to feed them.

1-2 acres for house/yard/barn. Anything more than that becomes a pain to mow/maintain IMO. My yard and barn area is over 3 acres (with tons of trees)and it is a pain. It’s slowly shrinking though!

As far as maintaining the balance, wooded areas require practically no maintenance unless you’re just bored and want a park like appearance. Fields - not much either. I can bush hog at least 40 acres a day, so I don’t really consider it taking up much time in the grand scheme of things.

I’m a practical guy and don’t dote over the little stuff. You can take care of a lot of ground if you don’t sweat the small stuff. Cut trees back off of your fences, burn burn burn, and bush hog. Gets a lot done fast.

Comment

As far as the original question it really depends on what all you plan to do with the place
            I have 20 acres total with a small pond. I’d like more if there was more available around me
            I grew up on 345 acres with plenty places to hunt & fish
            I enjoy our small place as it’s big enough to be out in the country with a little more space between neighbors & it’s peaceful

Comment

We have 21.5 acres all pasture we purchased 5 years ago. I have a shop two loafing sheds and three Dexters. 4 acres are fenced off for our yard. In my county 10 acres is minimum for ag exemption which was all ready established when we bought it. Only regret is fencing off that 4 acres where the house will be. I hate mowing that thing. So I believe a 3/4 to 1 acre pond will be put in to minimize the mowing. Hopefully we can start building our forever home here in a couple years. We can’t wait to get out there. I think this if the perfect size for the wife and I. Really it’s about all I care to maintain.
              Last edited by Muddy Bud; 06-22-2022, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Id take the 25 I have now over 200 of dry pasture. Size is nothing in comparison to natural water, cover, terrain, browse, etc….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't do the 2 acres. Probably wouldn't do 5 either. I have 2.5 and that's not enough for what all you're talking about. Although 10 may be a bit much to maintain if you're getting older. I am 42 and improving my 2.5 acres has kicked my arse.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

another thing to consider is what's is surrounding your land? you don't want to have bad neighbors if your if your not on very much land. The 26 acres pasture of our place we wanted to build on the neighbor but about 20 yards form the fence which is ok its hso property we will just build in another pasture

Comment

I have almost 13 . Half is thick brush . Wish it was at least 20.

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                        Just sucks I live in one of the highest and most demanded areas in the country.. fml

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
                        Any luck in your search?

Comment

I bought 6, then added 3 more, then bought 3 more, now about to buy 2.5 more....it's never ending.

Comment

hate these types of questions, especially when it ultimately depends on what you want to do with it, where, when, and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                              As mentioned, there can be. Counties set their own size requirements for ag exemptions and can have a different size for wildlife than the ag exemption.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                              yeah, not sure why that is either but the Wildlife exemption is much easier to acquire and keep than the Ag. Land has to be in Ag before it can be converted to the Wildlife Ex. too. I believe our Ag. min. here is 10 ac., it used to be only 5 ac.
                              Don't remember seeing a min. on the Wildlife though.

Comment

I have had 10ac since 1999. Was fine until a guy bought about 8ac next to me, then last year the property on the other side sold. They have cleared some, and plan on building a house. It sure makes mine feel like it shrank. The new 249 toll way is almost done, about maybe 3-4mi away and its getting crowded here quick. So, as others have said, it depends on neighborhoods etc

I have been looking/thinking about at least 160ac, but in Texas its way out of my price range.

For me, right now, 160ac min. And I do mean minimum. Ride around 160ac for a bit and it really isnt that much.

If money wasn't an issue, I would own many thousands of acres, and be as far away from neighbors as possible.

As far as maintenance, other than fences if you have cows, you dont have to maintain it all. I only mow the back part of my property once or twice a year. A parklike setting does nothing for me. I like it wild.

Comment

Working...
                                X