Tuna out of Venice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
    I fish out of freeport often....we catch yellowfin at the floaters....Ive done Venice as well....its just not worth it at those prices any longer as far as I'm concerned
    It cost me about 1k to run a 2 day tuna trip out of Freeport to catch tuna at these fuel prices. Unless I run further to Hoover, and that's out of my 36ft Contender

I know the plus side of Venice is the shorter runs and getting to ride in some slick boats. LA has a much better fishery, but that is a big price to pay for a day of fishin.

Comment

I have a friend going soon. Always exciting to see what happens and what they catch...

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
        It cost me about 1k to run a 2 day tuna trip out of Freeport to catch tuna at these fuel prices. Unless I run further to Hoover, and that's out of my 36ft Contender

I know the plus side of Venice is the shorter runs and getting to ride in some slick boats. LA has a much better fishery, but that is a big price to pay for a day of fishin.
        How far of a run it it?

What most people don’t realize, it might only be 30-40 miles to the rigs from the mouth of the river, it’s still 30 miles to the mouth of the river.

Every time we have went, it has been a 150-175 mile day dock to dock without a whole bunch of running around.

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
          I fish out of freeport often....we catch yellowfin at the floaters....Ive done Venice as well....its just not worth it at those prices any longer as far as I'm concerned
          No kidding. I want to overnight tuna but there ain't no way I can swing that coin to fish to fish from Venice. I'd spend a little more and go to Costa Rica

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We didn’t do a trip this year, but in years past, we would run 4 on a boat (most will take up to 6, but we want to be comfortable), 1 day fishing, tip for trip, fuel for boat, 2 nights at the their lodging for 4, fuel in the truck to get us there, ice, drinks, etc., and all groceries to feed us for two days (and we ate WELL, ie. ribeyes, etc.), would run us a little less than $1K per person. We would tally up all expenses at the end of the trip and split 4 ways even.

It wasn’t about the fishing, but the experience.

If fuel has doubled, it would only add about $250 per today.

Comment

Originally posted by lilavidhunter View Post
              I want to come fish with you. Will probably be late Fall or more likely Spring next Spring
              Fall and winter is great. They scatter sometime in February through March and get hard to find for a while. You gotta cover a lot of water to find a fish for a while there in spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                How far of a run it it?

What most people don’t realize, it might only be 30-40 miles to the rigs from the mouth of the river, it’s still 30 miles to the mouth of the river.

Every time we have went, it has been a 150-175 mile day dock to dock without a whole bunch of running around.
                From Freeport it's about 110mi out to Nancen and boomvang. 150mi to Hoover.

I'd take a 30 mile river run over the gulf any day tho.
                Grand Isle is he place to go if you want to fish the same waters as Venice. No river run and just a few Iles further to the same rigs. Less driving to.

At this point, for the price of fuel, I'll just do a 2 day trip instead if weather allows

Comment

Yall are cheapskates. I fly out to the boat, stay for a few weeks, catch tuna and fly back in .

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                    Yall are cheapskates. I fly out to the boat, stay for a few weeks, catch tuna and fly back in .
                    You just catch tuna for a few weeks or do you work lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      You just catch tuna for a few weeks or do you work lol.

Ya, mostly work. Tuna catching is just a perk.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                        Ya, mostly work. Tuna catching is just a perk.
                        We'll be out der towards the end of july lookin for some out of GI

Comment

We went on a swordfish trip with Voodoo last August and fuel cost alone was right under $900. They did say that it was a further run to get to the swordfish water then a tuna trip. Total trip was around $3200 if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post

Agreed.... I wonder if anyone is factoring in the cost of fuel driving to and from TX as well as the trip charges
                            Last edited by DEREKG22; 06-22-2022, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                              $18 a lb. Not bad, but that would really suck if you strike out and get skunked or only get a couple small fish.
                              Originally posted by Hendo View Post
                              We had 8 tuna and my buddy and I’s share was probably 50 lbs worth. I love it so good with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              More like $35/pound if he split that 50 lbs with his buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by eastover53 View Post
                                More like $35/pound if he split that 50 lbs with his buddy.
                                Ya my bad, I was think 50 lbs a piece.

$35 a pound isn't worth it to me. Not that any of us hunt or fish bc its an economical way to put meat on the table.

Comment

Working...
                                X