Minimum amount of land?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum amount of land?

Wife and I are looking for a small parcel to build our forever place. We aren't looking for too much, as we aren't wanting to be mortgage broke.

She wants house, shop, couple heifers, few goats, and chicken coop.

I want house, shop, and a 1/4ac to 1/2ac pond.

What size property yall think this could be feasible on? 2? 5? 10?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

12 for the tax exemption. Gotta have 10 for wildlife exemption and 2 for house

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
      ^this

Comment

That all depends on what county you're in.

Comment

12 minimum so double that to 24 then just to be safe double it again to 48

Comment

Last I looked there was No minimum acerage for a wildlife exemption

Comment

We have 22 and it is too small. It really depends on the layout and what is around the land. I would never look smaller than 25, but then it depends what you are on now.

Comment

Ours is 1 acre for house but agree if you can find one that has an exemption in place it saves money in the long run!

Comment

Would have to be the busted arse Godforesaken hellhole Grayson Co. I hate it, but my kids live here, so I'm not going anywhere.

We currently just sold our house in the city and are living stylin low profilin in a camper.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just hobby farming etc, 5-7 acres would be ideal. You will need more if you want to get the tax break. I have 10.01 acres with a home on it in Travis County that is in wildlife exemption. Check with which ever county you are in before buying and look into their requirements, it will vary from county to county.

Comment

Depends on the county! They all have different guidelines on this.

We are building on 15 acres. We are happy it, plenty of room for the house, greenhouse, garden, and chick coop.

I'd like to buy the land behind us to hunt but its not really necessary.

Comment

Im set on 20 acres. Build my forever home on this, then look to buy property elsewhere for recreation.

Comment

I have 11 in Lampasas county, at exempt and a really nice pond……..before the drought.
                          It’s a good size to walk around on and have killed a couple deer on it as well. Also had a group of axis deer around until my pond and my neighbors ponds both went try.

Comment

I now have six acres. Five acres taxed at ag value (what people call exemption) and one acre homestead. You do that with honey bees (state law requires county to allow this exemption). We have goats, a barrel horse, 2-3 show steers, dozen chickens and one kick *** barn cat. We bow hunt the property and kill plenty of deer. Only thing missing is the stock tank. Sure wish I had that.

All this to say the perfect amount of land is every bit that you can afford. God quit making more after his third day of creating.

Comment

We have 23 comprised of about 2 acres cleared, an acre pond and the rest wooded. Feels like enough for now, I'll keep clearing as I need more space I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X