Considering a rifle for my boys for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We and our kids are all individuals. Just keep that thought."

Been shooting 6mm in a Mdl 7 very well for 39yrs. Today, I wouldn't try to take elk at 300+yds with it. I would on anything in Texas.

There are better options for youth vs larger game such as elk, bear, ect.
    Last edited by tigerscowboy; 10-03-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
      25-06 is another great option.
      I second this. Plenty of gun and less kick then 30-06. Great for all typical Texas game.

Comment

22-250 is a great gun

Comment

I’m kind of old school. I’ll say 243 or open sight 30-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you're right on track for the 308, that'll take them into the future for pretty much anything they want to hunt and their familiarity with their rifles will give them an edge.

Comment

I would make sure the LOP was good for each and the recoil pads soft
              And the scopes had very generous eye relief.
              Buy a pre threaded model for your kids future hearing safety.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                I have no clue why folks think they need a .30 caliber to kick the crud out of their kid. Get a good .243 and kill anything in the lower 48 without an issue.

Remington and Hornady offer reduced recoil loads for the 30-30 with 125gr bullets.

Google 30-30 reduce recoil ammo. Here’s the link to a Texas Hunting Forum thread if you don’t believe me.

A guy I go to church with asked me about loading some "light" .30-30 rounds for his son. His son is a 2nd grader so 7 or 8 years old but kinda small for his age. He wants a round that will have as little recoil as possible that the kid can learn to shoot with. He's going ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hard to beat a 7mm-08

Comment

Get them some tikka t3x 308s, put trijicon credo 2.5-10s on them and be done. Buy once cry once

Comment

HOWA mini in either Grendel or I suggest 7.62x39. Why? Because price of the gun and the ammo. Low recoil. They can practice and plink for very little money in either wolf 6.5G or hunt and plink and practice and hunt with steel Case SP or HP. Even it 35 I spent 2 years killing everything one shot drop in south texas with one. It would be a very practical life time gun. In stead of selling there first gun to go to a 270 06 7rm 300 ect they get to keep it forever just buy a new stock and up grade it. I know 50-60 year olds buy a ruger ranch x39 because it very practical.

Comment

I got my daughter a 7mm-08 for Christmas when she was 9. She shoots the reduced recoil rounds, but will grow into the full power rounds. It's an option that can grow as the kids grow.

Comment

So, I am still looking... Was looking at threaded Ruger's in .308. I know its a large cartridge but, If they can handle shooting the .30/06, then they should be fine shooting the .308, I hope. If yall have any leads on where I can get two Ruger Americans in .308 and a threaded pink .22, I would appreciate it!

Comment

My 2 boys and their sister (she has to have a toy too!) hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                              So, I am still looking... Was looking at threaded Ruger's in .308. I know its a large cartridge but, If they can handle shooting the .30/06, then they should be fine shooting the .308, I hope. If yall have any leads on where I can get two Ruger Americans in .308 and a threaded pink .22, I would appreciate it!
                              If looking at the American in 308, go with the Predator model. Heavier profile barrel, threaded, ect. They are a little light, which makes felt recoil a little higher. But they are solid rifles. I polished up the trigger on mine and it’s pretty nice.

Comment

I got my daughter a 350 legend a couple years ago. she killed a buck with it at 7 years old. ruger american ranch. ammo is on every shelf when you look for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X