No announcement yet.

Mountain Lion Management in Texas is coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lone star outdoor show did a whole episode on this. One of the board members who claims that they are for hunting and not anti hunting, showed up to the west tx big bobcat tournament to protest. The mountain lion coalition group is absurd and not supported by any science to back their plan. It is just a step towards infringing on our rights as hunters. Pretty sure tpwd shot them down. Give that podcast a listen and they get deep into it.

Comment

How many lions are actually killed in Texas annually?

Comment

[QUOTE=Hills of Texas;16428005]More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine.

Really? I am an old hunter and only seen 4. (Mom and two cubs 45 years ago)
        Lots more hunters, traffic snd cameras now. And it is still rare to know someone who recently saw one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          I am an avid hunter, conservationists and Texan. Personally, I believe we do need some form of study to determine if regulation is necessary for Mountain Lions in Texas. With more and more population growth, habitat is increasingly diminishing and I’d venture to say the number of hunters in the woods are increasing as well, especially with the growing “organic food” movements. I’d really like the opportunity to see mountain lions survive so my kids and their kids have that opportunity. If you believe we should have seasons, bag limits and regulations on Whitetail deer, why the heck wouldn’t you ant one on Mountain Lions?
          agreed. Never understood why it was nongame anyway. There's a season for them in every other state that allows hunting them.

Comment

I always believe in the saying, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

I don’t believe it’s broke.

Comment

[quote=Big pig;16430251]
              Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
              More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine.

Lots more hunters, traffic snd cameras now. And it is still rare to know someone who recently saw one.
              Yea really. I know more about lions in Texas than most. I’ve got some personal history with keeping up on them since I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                agreed. Never understood why it was nongame anyway. There's a season for them in every other state that allows hunting them.
                And the population has skyrocketed in most of them which is bad news. There’s plenty of big cats in Texas. Current system is fine. We are mostly private land. Almost all of the states you reference are not. Big difference.

Comment

Same reason there’s no season on coyotes and bobcats. They are predators not game animals. Pretty soon you won’t be able to hunt anything except for a couple of months out of the year. We’ll be just like California.

Comment

You can hunt lions now. Making them a game animal with a season will not increase hunting opportunities. In fact, probably decrease opportunity because of time restraints due to “season”.

More lions=less deer, elk, aoudad, sheep etc to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                      Best case scenario is that this study shows just what you see Gary, an increasing population. No need for protection of any kind. That is what the non hunting groups are really pushing , hoping a study shows low numbers so they can start with limiting take then saying they need protection down the line.
                      I still think you need some but not to the detriment of other wildlife and domestic livestock.

Get your voices heard with TPW, don't just vent on here.
                      Comment on this proposal.
                      Enough hunters stepping up and commenting will get noticed.
                      Document sightings, trail cam pics etc.
                      Evidence of a healthy population is what they need to see.
                      Study could show a huge lion population and it would not matter to the people behind this petition. They have an agenda, and if tpwd does not give in to them, they will try other ways to get this passed.

Lions populations are thriving between absentee landowners, less trapping, less hound hunting, less cattle ranchers etc.

Sharing pictures with these people, not a chance. And I get a picture a week of a different lion at least.

Comment

Originally posted by wtx223 View Post
                        Study could show a huge lion population and it would not matter to the people behind this petition. They have an agenda, and if tpwd does not give in to them, they will try other ways to get this passed.

Lions populations are thriving between absentee landowners, less trapping, less hound hunting, less cattle ranchers etc.

Sharing pictures with these people, not a chance. And I get a picture a week of a different lion at least.
                        Let me come kill one! I’ll bring beer and food

Comment

If the population is thriving there is no need for government intervention, I.e regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This morning
                            Attached Files

Comment

If this is allowed, you open a Pandera's Box for other "Non-Hunter" (anti-hunter) groups to infiltrate Texas with Regulations intent on the obstruction of hunting anything. The Friends of Coyotes Coalition, Feral Hogs United, The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Racoons, etc, etc! Do not California my Texas!!!

Comment

[quote=Big pig;16430251]
                                Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                                More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine.

Yes, really.

There are a lot more deer in Texas today than have ever existed here…ever. Deer is the main prey of lions.

Ranchers don’t kill as many lions as they used to because there are more deer for lions to eat. Healthy lions don’t kill livestock if they have deer to eat.

Texas is, effectively, all privately owned. Hunting pressure on lions is limited to that which a landowner allows. That’s a whole lot less pressure that western public lands get.

More preferred food, less targeted lion killing and severely limited opportunistic lion killing equals more lions. Habitat-gobbling urban sprawl is non-existent in prime lion country in Texas.

Lions are doing fine in Texas and folks clamoring about them becoming over-populated and wiping out deer populations are just as silly as those on the other side[emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X