Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help/input 260 vs 270? Something bigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
    The .260Rem is a great low recoil cartridge. It is a standard short action casing with a 6.5 projectile. The 6.5 probably has the best ballistic coefficient of any projectile used for deer sized game and up. It does not carry as much energy as the .270WIN but because of the BC, it will be affected by wind less, and will probably penetrate as much or more. Knockdown power is a tricky thing as it is virtually impossible to actually measure, especially since most bullets go through the target. I would not hesitate to shoot any pig, or deer out to 400 with the .260REM. Fantastic cartridge
    Say what Clark?

I like the 6.5 variants for long range target shooting but you're not likely to see any benefits from better B.C.'s at typical hunting ranges, especially between two such similarly sized bullets. In fact, the .270 flat out smokes the .260 and 6.5cm in every category except windage out to 800 yards:

In a 6.5 Creedmoor versus 270 Winchester ballistic competition, which wins? Drop, drift, retained energy, velocity, and recoil are compared.

Comment

260 all day long

Originally posted by Pintail45 View Post
      In fact, the .270 flat out smokes
      Strong words for what amounts to ballistic hair splitting, especially when you consider that for hunting, there is no animal or range where a 270 is going to make a cleaner kill than a 260 for the same shot.

Comment

Three years ago I went to a friends hunting. The guy who guided me ask if id ever shot a 260. I said nope. We went out the first morning with his 260. I hadnt shot a deer with a gun in 4 years. We had a nice cull come at 500 yards. He only closed to 480. My guide said no problem. A couple a clicks on the scope. He said if the cross hairs are on the deer when you touch the trigger he will be dead.
        I laid on the ground put the cross hairs on the deer and touched the trigger and the deer folded up right there.
        That after noon we went to the range at 1000 yards. He clicked the scope again. Said if i was on the 24 inch plate when i touched the trigger it would clang. I touched it of and 3-4 seconds later, clang! Im officially 1 for 1 at 1000 yards!
        So I sold my 300 win mag and bought a 260!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
          260 all day long

Strong words for what amounts to ballistic hair splitting, especially when you consider that for hunting, there is no animal or range where a 270 is going to make a cleaner kill than a 260 for the same shot.
          This isn't a debate about 6.5 vs 6.8 bullets, OP is asking about .260 vs .270. cartridges, and yes the .270 FLAT OUT SMOKES IT

Comment

Ammo may be something to think about. you will be limited without ordering online. 270 you will find on the shelf at a very fair price. If you don't have a need for less recoil, the 270 would get my vote.

Comment

Love my 260. Kills out to 650 yards so far have shot steel out to 1300 yards. Minimal recoil, flat shooting, and hard hitting. One of the best calibers in my opinion.

Comment

I would be more concerned about the rifle (Kimber) than the cartridge. Unless it was a proven shooter, I would never own another Kimber. They are hit and miss on accuracy. Pretty guns, but not all of them shoot well.

As far as the cartridge goes, I've never owned a .270, but the deer won't know the difference if you put the medicine where the pain is. I've killed a lot of game with a .280, and all of them would have died real dead with a .260 or a .270. Personal choice.

Comment

Agree on the Kimber. I have one in 6.5cm and it’s a lightweight and smooth gun.. however it’s the least accurate rifle I own and it rarely ever gets taken out

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  I would be more concerned about the rifle (Kimber) than the cartridge. Unless it was a proven shooter, I would never own another Kimber. They are hit and miss on accuracy. Pretty guns, but not all of them shoot well.

As far as the cartridge goes, I've never owned a .270, but the deer won't know the difference if you put the medicine where the pain is. I've killed a lot of game with a .280, and all of them would have died real dead with a .260 or a .270. Personal choice.

Comment

Most of the people on this forum when it comes to guns can’t really say we “need” a gun and mean it. I would say 90% or higher it would lean more towards “want” a gun or certain caliber of gun. If that Kimber tickles your fancy get it and don’t feel guilty that you bought something you wanted not something you needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X