No announcement yet.

Alaska Bear Defense Pistol Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the heat of the moment heavy recoil can be your best friend. It'll yank you back to reality and help you focus.

That being said, at the range it is not your best friend, and you need range time to get comfortable.

I like my 44 a lot, but if I was buying a new gun just for that purpose I'd get a Ruger Alaskan in 454.

Comment

I was in bear country in Montana in September carrying my XD45 with Buffalo Bore 255 grain +P, and going through woods in the dark I decided when I move there next year I’m getting a Ruger 454 Casul like my son carries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have any of y’all run anything like a Bill Drill just so see how fast (or slow) you can put rounds on target with these bear guns?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          Have any of y’all run anything like a Bill Drill just so see how fast (or slow) you can put rounds on target with these bear guns?
          It's only fair if you measure it as ft/lbs of force applied on target.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
            It's only fair if you measure it as ft/lbs of force applied on target.
            That works too!

Comment

Originally posted by HelmCrusher View Post
              Thanks everyone for the great advise. The reason I am deciding between the .357 and the 10mm is I already own the .357. On the 10mm I've talked to people who currently live on the Kenai who talk to the rangers and conservation officers. They all carry 10mm. They say its for the better control of the gun = more rounds fired off. Also lighter to carry around. I originally thought about getting the .44mag or bigger, I'm not saying that a .44mag or bigger wouldn't do the job just considering the new info I have gotten. I would carry a 12ga but I think it would be difficult to comfortably hike/fish and be able to quickly put the gun on target and get a round off. I could be wrong and over thinking it.
              IMO, the .357 is too light for this trip. Would seriously consider a larger caliber revolver, more power and less likely it jamming on you in a bad situation.

Comment

The Scandium frame 44's smith makes are really cool they are pretty popular up there. One problem with bear spray is the cans are so highly pressurized they end up being fragile and can rupture if your not careful with them. That would ruin your day. The old joke goes if you spray the bear and it doest stop him, spray yourself so the bear gets indigestion.

Comment

10mm double stack

Comment

Originally posted by HelmCrusher View Post
                    I just want to thank everyone for taking your time to give me your advice and stories to help me decide on what to use to protect my self and my family on what I hope to be an awesome vacation.

After listening to everyone's advice and talking to the AK game officer, I decided to bring the 12 gauge and get a .44mag. Did some research and decided I'd get a 6.5" Smith & Wesson 629 and called my local gun shop first and he had a used one. Turns out it was his buddy's who used it for competition shooting. Custom trigger and hammer, S&W Performance Center trigger job, smooth cylinder, ported up top at the 6" mark, plus 150 rounds of ammo. Beyond awesome gun, and I got it for $800. Couldn't be happier or luckier ( probably should have bought a lottery ticket after that).

Thanks again
                    Awwwwe!!! You suck!
                    Nice pistol!

Comment

Learn to shoot that thing like Jerry Miculek!

Comment

Working...
                      X