Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help/input 260 vs 270? Something bigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help/input 260 vs 270? Something bigger?

Ok, who can tell me advantage disadvantage of a 260 rem bs 270. I have a chance to pick up a kimber that’s mint for a great price in 260. I have a tikka 270 that flat out drills anything I shoot with it and will knock anything down out to 400 wit the right load.

I want to get it for my wife who is currently shooting my 270 with zero problems. But I hate to buy lesser knock down power.

Any other caliber to consider? I’ve been tossing around going with a 6.5 or 7mm wsm built by surgeon or gap rifles. They have some tactical rifles that are fairly lite and would be perfect for Colorado. The same guy that has the kimber has a 7mm wsm built by gap rifles. Fluted barrel and composite stock. Relatively lite and with had loads, it will shoot almost as tight of a group as my tactical 308 with a bull barrel. Which means at 750 his will shoot in a snuff can and mine shoots in a half dollar. Not shabby for a hunting rig that my wife can bang steel with or hammer anything in North America.
    Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

270 is going to beat out the 260 by a fair margin. You are comparing a long action caliber vs a short action.

Recoil & muzzle blast will be less with the 260 and that Tikka will be a sweet rifle.

IMO the 260 is the perfect caliber for Texas whitetail, especially for
    smalller statured people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The .260Rem is a great low recoil cartridge. It is a standard short action casing with a 6.5 projectile. The 6.5 probably has the best ballistic coefficient of any projectile used for deer sized game and up. It does not carry as much energy as the .270WIN but because of the BC, it will be affected by wind less, and will probably penetrate as much or more. Knockdown power is a tricky thing as it is virtually impossible to actually measure, especially since most bullets go through the target. I would not hesitate to shoot any pig, or deer out to 400 with the .260REM. Fantastic cartridge

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
        The .260Rem is a great low recoil cartridge. It is a standard short action casing with a 6.5 projectile. The 6.5 probably has the best ballistic coefficient of any projectile used for deer sized game and up. It does not carry as much energy as the .270WIN but because of the BC, it will be affected by wind less, and will probably penetrate as much or more. Knockdown power is a tricky thing as it is virtually impossible to actually measure, especially since most bullets go through the target. I would not hesitate to shoot any pig, or deer out to 400 with the .260REM. Fantastic cartridge

I knew it had higher ballistic coefficients. Like I said, I already have a 270. And the wife would enjoy the 260 Bc she loves my 270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How about a 308 for you and let the wife keep shooting the 270?

Comment

You can’t beat the 6.5 projectile �� I have a 260 in an r700 action and love it. Especially with a good hand load.

Comment

Difference is about 250fps. 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor are about the same thing.

I highly doubt any critter will know the difference.

Comment

either will work well,, the 260 will always be much harder to find ammo for if it does not fade out all together,,, I would not choose it over anything else at this time

Comment

260 gets my vote. I love that round. Would be great for the wife as well!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I have hunted with .260, 6.5 and a lot with the .270
                    I like the 6.5 for ammo price and availability
                    But my wife shoots a .270 like me but had it cut down and a new butt pad.
                    I only have to carry and store one type of ammo for us.
                    To do over again we would both have a 6.5 CR.
                    Perfect size for tx deer and hogs.

BP

Comment

Had a buddy who carried a 260 Rem. It was a great round on deer. That is the round I’d buy next except that I’ve wanted a 257 WM for forever so.....

Comment

I've got a Sako 85 Hunter 260 rem, APR custom 270, and a Tikka 270. All work very well for deer. If I was going after bigger game....aoudad, Elk, or similar type game, i'd use my 270 or bigger. 260 is more than enough for deer. I do get more lightning type drops from the 270. Velocity makes a difference if you're wanting DRT.....without a shoulder/CNS type shot. Shot a couple whitetail doe this weekend with my 22-250 and 60 gr Nosler partitions and a axis doe and axis buck with my 270. All of them died in sight, but the 270 dropped them drt.

Comment

260 is a great round. I absolutely love it.

Comment

I have a tikka t3 260 that I put a suppressor on. It is awesome for my 10 yr old grandson. No kick and no sound. It blew a softball size exit hole in 2 different deer last year

Comment

I love my .260 but ammo availability is not great. I hand load so that's not an issue, and if you're good with that you won't be disappointed with the round.

Comment

Working...
                              X