Oats or rye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TKC View Post
    I think you could still get a partial stand if you planted right now. If it were me as expensive as things are I think I would wait. The ticket to it was the field prep ahead of time for moisture. Plus you have missed several good rains. Location is a big determining factor as well.
    and if not prepared soil..Birds /ants will get lots..as far as alfalfa hay I had same luck Nada.....Rye Grass does better on unprepared soil but its not favored/used by Deer until later in year...but when most stuff dies from cold Rye Grass thrives...and seed is so small it hides..A little clover might be Good but at prices and not sure on variety to plant ???and its a later crop too and small seed...

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
      Cereal rye not rye grass! Rye is extremely cold tolerant and deer will smash it.
      Plant it now. Come Jan / feb your deer will have something green
      Mine is wheat, oats, elbow rye & triticale.

Comment

Yes we spread it Friday morning and weather says there is a small chance of rain this week. I cannot prep a transmission right of way nor do I have the equipment to do so. The responses on rye seemed to be 50/50 in favor not in favor.
        I will check out the feed stores and see if I can find the elbow rye and triticale. Again I can’t disc. Will these grow by broadcast only? Thanks y’all

Comment

Another one for wheat and oats 50/50 mix

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
            Buckforage Oats, deer love em n they will last thru the coldest winter
            x2

Comment

Last 3 years I have used PlotSpike Forage oats from TSC. $32 for 50lbs. I have had really good stands from it, and in not the best soil either. I let it go to seed and deer and turkey continue to hit it and after it seeds out, well into May.

Comment

Where do you get the buck forage oats for all that are following? And Rib age I will check out the Plotspike forage oats as well. No luck on finding the le on rye or triticale yet

Comment

If they don't have the oats at TSC you can order it on line and have it delivered to your nearest TSC. A few years ago, a couple of buddies and I looked for the Buck Forage oats locally and could not find any. We ordered a few bags and paid shipping (ouch!!). The oats from TSC are every bit as good as the Buck forage oats. So we just stayed with the Plotspike oats.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                    Where do you get the buck forage oats for all that are following? And Rib age I will check out the Plotspike forage oats as well. No luck on finding the le on rye or triticale yet
                    Steinhausers in Sealy was able to order elbon rye for me (if I recall they put in orders on Monday that get there thursday). I broadcast 150 lbs into about an acre and a half of thatch / goatweed that is still hanging on on 10/9, and it is coming along great. I have an electric spreader on the front of my sxs and a drag harrow behind it (chains up so I didn't pull a bunch of thatch around).

For no till I have to imagine the rye is going to work better. Way smaller seed. It's terrific for soil too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Yes we spread it Friday morning and weather says there is a small chance of rain this week. I cannot prep a transmission right of way nor do I have the equipment to do so. The responses on rye seemed to be 50/50 in favor not in favor.
                      I will check out the feed stores and see if I can find the elbow rye and triticale. Again I can’t disc. Will these grow by broadcast only? Thanks y’all
                      Be great if you could broadcast the seed and mow /shred over them. Otherwise you will see some anyway if you get rain and sun’

Comment

Rain in the forecast!

Comment

Working...
                        X