Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buckforage Oats, deer love em n they will last thru the coldest winter

Comment

Landowner Planted oats last weekend and been doing it for years.....deer everywhere on those fields.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Triticale works well also.

Comment

Fertilized wheat is the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
            We won’t close on our property until November 4. Will it be too late to put out oats or rye grass?
            Interesting set of responses considering the question wasn't "what to plant" but if it was too late to plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
              Interesting set of responses considering the question wasn't "what to plant" but if it was too late to plant.
              Whatever IMO maybe for November late but December will have a good stand

Comment

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
                Deer don't eat rye.... hogwash.... don't plant ryegrass.... cereal rye (most likely Elbon variety) is what you want for plots. Depends on where you are but cereal rye or wheat will be tolerant of freezing... oats will not.
                Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                Cereal rye not rye grass! Rye is extremely cold tolerant and deer will smash it.
                Your answer

Comment

The only clear place I have is my small transmission right of way so there won’t be any prep. Maybe mow it first. So I’ll be spreading it.

Comment

The only clear place I have is my small transmission right of way so there won’t be any prep. Maybe mow it first. So I’ll be spreading it.
                    Double your application rate then

Comment

This year I did oats, cereal rye, winter wheat, winter peas, and clover. It's coming up nicely so far. Just hope the hogs don't destroy it.

Comment

Double my application rate. Ok. Can I buy the oats or winter wheat at TS?

Comment

Usually a feed store. TS sells a priced up deer mix. Maybe they have it though...

Comment

Double up feed oats as seed oats are 3x $$$ from my experience

Comment

I prefer Oats, but have had better luck with wheat no-till, and it will come up in November. Deer seem to prefer whatever is younger and most tender. But Oats and wheat are definitely better then rye. Rye sucks.

I've seen deer move over to newly planted wheat fields away from my oat plot, later in the season. Like late November, early December.
                              Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 10-26-2021, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Regular o'l feed oats or a mix of oats and winter wheat.

Comment

Working...
                                X