No announcement yet.

House Build questions/ “must haves”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put all IT cabling in a conduit so you can change it out. Built my house 33 yrs ago ask me how i know.

Comment

We are in the build process. As far as electrical I went a little overboard with plugs and lights. We didn’t run any coax cables, but did run cat6 to every room.
      Something I considered doing the conduit runs down to the TVs, but figured if anything we are getting more wireless than anything.

Comment

Electrical outlets any where that you would like to have outdoor speakers. Also plenty for Christmas lights

Run a gas line to your outdoor living area In case you want a gas grill or a gas burning fireplace or a gas starter for your fireplace

I would have my garage floors painted or stained.

Comment

I would put lights up all around the outside of the house mounted under the eves. Those wired landscape lights are nice while they work but are a pain to maintain

I used smart board instead of Sheetrock in my garage.

Comment

I would definitely install a vault door for a “safe room” did this on my house and it was the best thing we did.

Comment

We did a lot of research as you did.

We have been in our home 18 months.

The items I like that we splurged on:

- oversized garage for two diesel 3/4 trucks and a UTV.

- we made absolutely everything “smart” oven, TVs, all lighting, garage doors, thermostat, security cams, a couple door locks. We can control majority of electronic with our phones.

- all lighting LED majority is recessed cans.

- ran cat 5/Ethernet and HDMI to all tv areas.

- Lots and lots of outlets inside and outside.

- generator transfer switch and plug for my 13,000 watt generator (I can run one HVAC and most lights and electronics)

- hidden gun room that has a false shelf door.

- our kids playroom has a hidden Murphy queen bed. It’s awesome to have a room that contains their clutter and if needed it can be a guest room and it has a full bathroom.

- utility room sink is nice to have.

- gas starters in the two fire places

- smart sprinkler system in landscaping and yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for asking this question OP. Many great ideas on here already, even some I might be able to afford if I can swing a few things that work out for me in the future.

Comment

Lots of good ideas so far, keep em coming!

What is everyone using for long driveways? I have about 500ft to do so concrete and asphalt are out of the question at this time. About half of it already has an iron-ore base but needs to be topped with something. Looking at either stabilized limestone or maybe milled asphalt.

Comment

We build awhile back (2019) and there are a couple things I wished I did (or could have convinced the ol lady)

Put plugs everywhere! BUT do not forget the hallways. (I did)

If you have an island or bar, put plugs underneath it. you will thank me when you have a party.

Recessed led lights are awesome!

Fire place gas ignitor is awesome as well! Would not trade that for anything.

We ran cable to all rooms including our carport (its our party pad). Also ran string incase I need to pull anything else.

A huge covered carport is awesome. Ours is 20x40. We play washers, cornhole, have parties etc under there when its rainining and there is plenty of room for 2 cars and golfcarts. One thing I love that we did in our carport is rock the road side at 3-4 foot so people on the road cannot see into the carport. (we live on a busy road during the week with kinder morgan)

Only thing I have running in the slab is sewage, everything else is attic so I can get to it.

Our attic is huge and I believe it keeps our house climate controlled pretty well. Our bill is typically 100-150 less than my inlaws next door

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                      Lots of good ideas so far, keep em coming!

What is everyone using for long driveways? I have about 500ft to do so concrete and asphalt are out of the question at this time. About half of it already has an iron-ore base but needs to be topped with something. Looking at either stabilized limestone or maybe milled asphalt.
                      Im not sure what we did (it was recommended by my brother in law) but it sucks! I am about to haul more in to patch the holes.

We are eventually going to crack and concrete the whole thing. (150ish foot) Will help with the kids and for me shade tree mechanicing

Our kids go to my inlaws to ride their bikes/scooters etc on their asphalt drive way.

Comment

Agree with lots of electrical outlets, even under eaves.
                        Radiant barrier in attic with lots of air flow. Is amazing the difference in temp of attic with radiant barrier compared to without.
                        Not sure of correct term for this but my nephew has a water distribution type panel in the garage. Can shutoff water to different areas of house via panel. Is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by TKC View Post
                          I would have then install off your panel a ready to go transfer switch for generator? If your in the country and going to run propane I would put multiple stub out connections.

If I were to do it again there wouldn’t be a single hose bib on the exterior of my house. They look ugly and are always the weak spot during a freeze. I would have plumber come out from under foundation into the yard a couple feet off exterior wall in a landscape box. Kind of like you see at the golf course. That way easy to insulate and if it does freeze and pop it will be in the yard and not your wall.

Security lights all over the exterior of house where if need be you can light up the world. Is great for parties and such but also great for keeping the criminal element away.
                          I always put all the hose bibs on their own with a main shutoff valve so you dont have to worry about it during winter. If your on a water softener you want to do this anyway.

Comment

Here is my build. I just read it through again.

Comment

1500sq.ft house, 5000sq.ft garage

Mudroom at back entrance with a chower/chiter. Make your kitchen as big as your living room. Quadruple the size of your " thats good " closets, pantry / storage. Hot/cold water connections on every side of the house

The rest is just window dressings.

Comment

Don't duck under your shower head the rest of your life. 7 feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X