House Build questions/ “must haves”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Build questions/ “must haves”

I know there are some old threads that I have searched but I’m not seeing answers to everything I’m looking for now that we are getting ready to build our “forever home” so I decided to start another thread. If I have time I may go through some of those better old threads and consolidate the list of folks must haves to make it easier to go back and reference.

We’re working on the electrical portion of our plans right now so I’m wondering what is everyone doing for TV/internet these days? We currently just use WIFI and streaming for TV services, I don’t see us going back to cable but I want to have everything setup in case we do. Do I just have them run coax to all of the rooms? Should I run cat5 or something else to hardwire for streaming instead of WIFI?

What about alarm systems. Is it worth it to hardwire or just stick with a wireless system?

Speakers for the back porch. Hardwired or Bluetooth?

Do you have cable internet and tv options in your area? Personally I would want my main rooms wired for cable and internet; its always better to use the ethernet instead of wifi for your main devices. If anyone in the house is a gamer the hardwire connection is good as well. Additionally if you have a pool, man cave, outdoor area I would look to run an ethernet connection to that location or to the portion of the house nearest to the area. That way you could hookup a wifi extender and get wifi/streaming tv at the locations that otherwise would be more expensive to run a hardline to.

Comment

I would have then install off your panel a ready to go transfer switch for generator? If your in the country and going to run propane I would put multiple stub out connections.

If I were to do it again there wouldn’t be a single hose bib on the exterior of my house. They look ugly and are always the weak spot during a freeze. I would have plumber come out from under foundation into the yard a couple feet off exterior wall in a landscape box. Kind of like you see at the golf course. That way easy to insulate and if it does freeze and pop it will be in the yard and not your wall.

Security lights all over the exterior of house where if need be you can light up the world. Is great for parties and such but also great for keeping the criminal element away.

Comment

I've found a roof, walls, floor, AC, and beer fridge, nearly impossible to live without.

Comment

Originally posted by TKC View Post
          I would have then install off your panel a ready to go transfer switch for generator? If your in the country and going to run propane I would put multiple stub out connections.

If I were to do it again there wouldn’t be a single hose bib on the exterior of my house. They look ugly and are always the weak spot during a freeze. I would have plumber come out from under foundation into the yard a couple feet off exterior wall in a landscape box. Kind of like you see at the golf course. That way easy to insulate and if it does freeze and pop it will be in the yard and not your wall.

Security lights all over the exterior of house where if need be you can light up the world. Is great for parties and such but also great for keeping the criminal element away.
          Great point! Never thought about that.

Comment

I would think almost everything can be done wirelessly. TV, internet, security, CCTV? Just to be safe I would consider putting conduit (only in insulated walls or tight corners etc) and pullstrings for all things and not spend the money on cabling. That's just if you need it.

I would definitely have a generator installed. But then again, I live in Houston and we are more prone to have storm issues.

We used spray foam insulation and it has served us well. Really saves on electricity but quiets the house substantially as well.

I have a walk in gun room and in hindsight, I wish I would have made it 2x bigger.

Outdoor patio, grill, tv, HVLS fan and fireplace. I will spend from now through May out there in the evenings.

Comment

Just my opinion, but running wire is cheap during construction when everything is exposed. Same goes for plumbing and gas lines.

I'd go ahead run for cable, internet, alarm, speakers/audio, doorbell, etc. I know technology is continually evolving, but wireless in many cases is just not as good as hard wired.

We have a wireless security system. It works fine, but we do have to replace the batteries in the sensors from time to time. Same goes for recharging the Ring doorbell. If I were building new, I'd be running wires for both.

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                We’re working on the electrical portion of our plans right now so I’m wondering what is everyone doing for TV/internet these days? We currently just use WIFI and streaming for TV services, I don’t see us going back to cable but I want to have everything setup in case we do. Do I just have them run coax to all of the rooms? Should I run cat5 or something else to hardwire for streaming instead of WIFI?
                I'm in a rural area, but ran cat5 to every room in the house to where a TV is. Everything goes back to the cat5 switch/splitter and router in the "media closet". Streaming the TV across the house through the ethernet is no issue, whereas you may get some buffering through Wifi across the house on a tablet. Looking into wifi boosters, but not really a huge concern either.

One thing I would recommend,...if you are having a home office, be sure to have cat5 ran in the slab in the floor with your floor plugs where your desk is. Just one thing that we overlooked in hindsight, which is no big deal but would have been nice.

Comment

tag
                  Last edited by jshouse; 09-30-2021, 02:13 PM. Reason: dont want to hijack

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                    I know there are some old threads that I have searched but I’m not seeing answers to everything I’m looking for now that we are getting ready to build our “forever home” so I decided to start another thread. If I have time I may go through some of those better old threads and consolidate the list of folks must haves to make it easier to go back and reference.

What about alarm systems. Is it worth it to hardwire or just stick with a wireless system?

Speakers for the back porch. Hardwired or Bluetooth?
                    One cat5 port, centrally located and inconspicuous, where the modem/wifi would be located. Make the TV(s) wifi only. Ideally a closet. And cut the cable.

Alarm system. Honestly, I've never had one, and would not consider one unless I lived in downtown Houston. If someone is breaking in, I am the only one stopping them, the police will not respond fast enough. If you want cameras and whatnot outside, then for sure wire those in because otherwise the system can easily be jammed if WIFI. ALSO, while you are mounting cameras/wiring in your eaves, put in a handful of outlets for Christmas lights.

Porch speakers. Wireless, unless you need top of the line sound quality.

Comment

You will be broke with all the must haves listed in past threads on here!!

Comment

Water softener and the right set up for tankless water heaters

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          I've found a roof, walls, floor, AC, and beer fridge, nearly impossible to live without.
                          Building right now and that pretty much covers it. I have own 5 homes, but never built. Am sure I will get some things wrong...but I tried to ask as many about their what ifs: My brain dump as follows

1) Stretch yourself to build bigger. MAKE sure you bedrooms will hold size of beds and furniture you dream of. Measure other bedrooms sizes you desire to mirror
                          2) I am adding outlets higher up on wall to accomodate TV locations inside and outside where I want
                          3) Adding outlets on porch poles to address christmas lights
                          4) Strategic on plumbing clean outs through out (I had to stay on them to add the clean outs I wanted after gaining guidance from my dad and others)
                          5) Make your porches big enough to shield doors from rain (10 ft minimum)
                          6) Consider garage or carports be big enough to where you can open both vehicle doors and still walk between them
                          7) Form a good open relationship with your builder and their contractors. It can go a long way in working through issues or dealing with changes.

I live in the country and going wireless streaming or dish for TV. I am going to continue with my Ring alarm solution and bluetooth for music unless.
                          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I wouldn’t run coax cable again- Coax cables change and if you want it done correctly all of the old coax has to be removed and new / updated ran throughout ! Been there done that !

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                              You will be broke with all the must haves listed in past threads on here!!
                              I’m gonna be broke anyways!
                              🤣

Comment

Working...
                              X