No announcement yet.

Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If everybody did everything the same way it would be a mighty dull world.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Pretty much. Meat will only absorb so much smoke. I personally like about 3 hours of smoke. And no mesquite smoke. Too acidy/bitter

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Respectfully disagree. If you want to do the absolute minimum then sure... but to get a true Texas layered bark set then no.
      Everyone`s taste levels are different. What taste like great smoke flavor to some may taste strong and bitter to others. At the end of the day it`s all about personal preference. I am personally not a "Bark Snob". It used to be, you had to have a great smoke ring, now it the crunchy bark. I personally just want a great tasting brisket. If it has a great smoke ring and a great bark that`s ok, but at the end of the day I`m after a brisket that taste good. But that`s just me.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
        All I do is season them with salt and pepper and let the stick burning smoker do the rest. I cooked one today and it came out with a GOOD bark and everyone complmented me on how it tasted although I know it wasn't my best work.

However the sides were AWESOME. Smoked Mac and Cheese and Baked Beans both done on the smoker.

Andrew
        This is about as dark as mine gets, looks great. But a lot are much darker and just wondering how and what they use, thanks guys.

Comment

Respectfully disagree. If you want to do the absolute minimum then sure... but to get a true Texas layered bark set then no.
          How long and what temp. to get a dark bark ?

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
            How long and what temp. to get a dark bark ?
            I don't smoke by time. I smoke by internal temp... When my internal temp is in the 160 deg area I start to looking at my bark. Brisket and PBs will have a stall period that is in that temp area that can be 1-3 hours long and I want to make sure I don't waste much extra time hanging in that period if my bark is right. If my bark is right at 160, I wrap (foil pan or butcher paper)....if I feel it needs to be a little heavier or darker, I'll take it until it gets right. If I have to sit in the stall for a little bit of time I'll do it but I like to wrap to push through it. Don't recall having to wait after 170 deg to get it right so that's why I tell folks 160-170 is when I will usually get it done. Now I have had it right at 150 as well but that was a larger thicker brisket that took longer to get to temp. If somebody held a gun to my head and wanted time, I would say generally 7-8 hours at 250-275 on a 10-12 lb brisket (post trimmed) before wrapping...but every piece of meat is different. That's why I tell folks to use thermometers. It's done when the thermo and the probe test says its done..

I have a write up available in Word Document form if anybody wants it. I have sent it to numerous TBHers through the years as a sort of a guideline for folks starting out or that wanted something to follow or compare to theirs. PM me a mailing address and I'll send it to whoever wants it. Many folks have used it and added their own twists... which is pretty much what I did when creating it.

Comment

Bark...or crust as you labeled it, is a combination of the rub, the meat’s juices rendering and layers and layers of smoke forming on the surface in the process. You have to have a good blue smoke fire (stick burner preferred), a good trim, a good heavy rub or salt/pepper combination and time to get a solid bark. Bark layers much better on meat than fat and is a reason folks trim. These big fat caps on briskets and pork butts folks neglect to trim are not going to produce a good bark. And since bark is also where most of the flavor is, their product is going to suffer. The better the bark the better the brisket/PB/ribs. One more thing. Grates are hell on bark so I always do the 1/4” trimmed fat cap down. The bark forms so much better when it can layer directly on the top of the actual meat and the thin fat cap can render down and not mess up the layered smoke. When you cut it you also have a cleaner slice after removing the flat from the point.

And I wrap every time. The bark is made before wrapping. Now I don’t wrap until 160-170 internal (never by time). It depends on how the bark is formed at those temps that determines where at 160-170 I wrap. It just takes time and the things I mentioned above. Main reason I wrap though after the bark is set is to push through the stall. Ain’t nobody got time for a 2-3 hour hiccup. You can open the foil pan at the end and tighten it up.

That looks fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                It’s dry.

OP, you gotta run a stick burner to get that “crust” you are looking for.

Not true! This is on my pellet grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mike D...can you make the pics a little bigger...I can't see in between the grains of pepper and the meat..

Comment

Originally posted by smart View Post
                    mike d...can you make the pics a little bigger...i can't see in between the grains of pepper and the meat..
                    lol!:d

Comment

Imba twice a year brisket person but I've been able to produce as good a flavor on a pellet grill as a stick burner. The bark is another question but I've never really liked the thick black on the meat as that always seems dry and bitter no matter what wood I try.
                      I prefer apple wood.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that a picture of the MOON?

Comment

Y'all are going to make me get back in the game. Lol. I haven't cooked a brisket in 3 years due to the cost and it being much easier to buy a pound at the local joints all around us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Mike's pics for us on a laptop.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I gotta have bark. On all my beef roasts, smoked or not. Hell even my steak I want charred rare medium rare or seared to a bark in butter on cast iron. The protein development in a crust contains the majority of flavor you can impart on red meat.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                                No wrap here. I have never wrapped any meat that I put on a smoker unless it's in BACON!!! LOL
                                This

Comment

Working...
                                X