Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has it ever felt like you’ve gone back in time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I blessed to live in a rural area. Went to school at a K-8 school that only had 35 kids. 7 of the eight of us that graduated went on to get college degrees. Met my wife there on the first day of kindergarten in 1975. She called my overalls “farmer pants” and made me cry. In 1995 I started teaching/coaching there. (Oddly enough in the same room where I started school). Seventeen years later I moved in because I wanted to coach high school kids. I’ve been doing that for the last nine years. Now my old school has a high school and I will be going back as the new athletic director and head football coach. We now have 150 kids in school. Still pretty small. I am really looking forward to the challenge. Love small town living.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
      I only wish the whole world could go back even 40 years.
      And stay there!
      So 1981 was the golden era???? Who knew!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        I was in my prime!!!!!

I sometimes wish I had country roots like a lot of y'all, but I was born and raised in the city. Things weren't as bad then as they are now, but we enjoyed good neighbors who pitched in and helped each other with different things. Neighbors now dont hardly know each others name. I do try to go back to the old days by showing my grand kids things we did. I've made snow ice cream, sugar sammiches, showed them how to play mumbly peg and just the simple things we did growing up. We didn't need no video games.

Comment

Just a baby....

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          I think bout '86 would nail it! I was only 10 in '81.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
            When we moved in that little home in Spring Branch we didn’t have a/c. All we used was an attic fan and left the windows up. Could you imagine in this day and age sleeping with only a screen between you and the outside world? We did without a phone for a while as well. Gas was .25 a gallon back then.
            I went to Spring Branch Elementary when it did not have AC.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
              Use to be a small bar be que place across Silber from Cameron.
              DB I vaguely remember that place. Back in the 70,s so many people worked there that they would get off at different intervals. My dad bought our first new truck there at Courtesy Chevrolet. 1964, three on the tree, with a two sixty a/c and a knob on the steering wheel. No power steering. I think he told me he paid $1,400 for it.

Comment

Spring Branch elementary? Was it in Houston bro?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  Spring Branch elementary? Was it in Houston bro?
                  HaHa Just about on the edge of city limits of Houston back then.
                  Corner of Campbell & Longpoint across road from Rileys Supermarket

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                    I went to Spring Branch Elementary when it did not have AC.
                    Boerne isd didn’t have AC till I was in high school

When I worked on the Kennedy ranch , it was going back in time
                    No electric, water was from a windmill then gravity fed from a wooden sistren , every thing ran on propane ( refrigerator, stove, lights) , no air conditioning or fans, thank the lord that we had trucks instead of having to ride horse back

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                      HaHa Just about on the edge of city limits of Houston back then.
                      Corner of Campbell & Longpoint across road from Rileys Supermarket
                      I remember it now I believe. They eventually built a Taco Bell across the street from Rileys

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        90% of the folks on here probably have no clue what an attic fan is. Lol!

That was all we had also until I was in jr high.
                        We had an attic fan to cool house and used a franklin stove for heat.
                        One day in the winter dad came home early while I was smokin something in the house that I shouldnt have been. Turned on the attic fan before he got in the house to suck the smoke out. Learned that day not to do that as the house quickly got full of smoke from the franklin stove. Dad wasnt too happy when he walked in that smoke filled house. But probably not near as mad as he would have been if he had smelled that other smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                          I hunted mule deer in eastern Arizona last year. Our unit was near the little town of Alpine. We stopped at the Bear Wallow cafe for breakfast one morning as it was one of two choices in town. We walked up to the door, and a big sign read "we don't wear masks here, God Bless America."

We walked inside, and I swear it became 1960. An old, fairly run down building without a TV in sight and waitresses that have probably been there for 30 years. People were just sitting together and visiting (some wearing revolvers), which doesn't seem to happen all that much any more. I know there are places like that here, as I'm from a small town, but I had never been to a place like it in my life. It was a great experience.

Bear Wallow is under remodel as we speak. Slated to open at the end of this month. Hope they keep the feel of stepping back in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                            90% of the folks on here probably have no clue what an attic fan is. Lol!

That was all we had also until I was in jr high.
                            Growing up in Galveston, I remember when we moved out of the Magnolias (projects) into the BIG house on 21st and M1/2, it had an Attic fan and man was nice and cool at night, my room had a screened in balcony so i slept listening to the waves of the ocean every night,, i drive by sometime just to remember the good OL'DAYS if and when i get to make a trip down there
                            ,, we used to ride the whole Island on our bike's, there was no were we did not go...

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                              Growing up in Galveston, I remember when we moved out of the Magnolias (projects) into the BIG house on 21st and M1/2, it had an Attic fan and man was nice and cool at night, my room had a screened in balcony so i slept listening to the waves of the ocean every night,, i drive by sometime just to remember the good OL'DAYS if and when i get to make a trip down there
                              ,, we used to ride the whole Island on our bike's, there was no were we did not go...
                              Wow. That’s sounds very cool. Like I told Bayou, didn’t seem how warm it was outside when you turned that attic fan on you woke up under the blankets. It was a rough time for us back then. Momma wanted more for us but we didn’t have the money.
                              We watched Gun Smoke, the Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Bonanza, Star Trek, Paladin, Rifleman, Flintstones, all as a family most of the time. Mainly cause we only had one t v. Then you had to get up and change the channel and adjust the rabbit ears and flatten out the tin foil on em!

Comment

Even in Dallas back in the 60's we did not have a/c. In schools or at home. We didn't have home a/c until we moved in 1971.

Comment

Working...
                                X