Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has it ever felt like you’ve gone back in time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has it ever felt like you’ve gone back in time?

Recently I got to travel to areas way back in the hills that I haven’t seen since I was just a kid. It’s so far back that there aren’t any gas stations or stores of any kind for a long ways. There are no signal lights or busy intersections. Mostly dirt and gravel roads. It’s a place where you can just relax and take it easy. I told my last living uncle that it felt like we had gone back in time a hundred years or more. He agreed. It feels like home back in the tall, tree covered hills and valleys. Naturally it’s because that’s where I fished and chased grasshoppers for fish bait many moons ago.

Dadgum. At my age, 80+, go there all the time. Those were some good times.

Comment

I went back home some years ago. Drove the old back roads, the abandoned houses and fields. One old concrete road was poured in individual squares. The grass and brush was growing up in it, cracks were uneven, some places unable to cross and had to be inventive to get around. Just to show my family a broken down old house and dairy barn I use to milk cows in.
      Hard to believe most of the folks there have little to no cell service and travel 50 to 60 miles to town for groceries.
      Most have died off and the kids have moved off.
      It was a great childhood living off the land and being satisfied with a simple life.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I only wish the whole world could go back even 40 years.
        And stay there!

Comment

I live in a place similar to what you described. It’s nice most of the time but can also be incredibly inconvenient. The only gas station/store within about 20 minutes of us burned down a few months ago. Talk about a freakin hassle. We are getting a little bit better cell service in areas, recently, but still nothing at the house.

Comment

Actually yeah just last week. Went to an event where nobody.....NOBODY wore a mask. It was awesome. Just like the good ol' days. And what's crazier is nobody is dead or dying. Crazy to think of it I know.

True story.

Comment

Once heard a Red Steagall story, he interviewed a 98 year old cowboy and asked if he missed the good ole days. He replied if you wanted the good ole days back, turn off the air conditioner.

Comment

Every time I look in the mirror and see the old Geezer staring back at me I go back in time and wonder “where did it all go”? Occasionally I’ll drive back into Houston (the Spring Branch area) and go by our home. I remember all the good times and bad times we had there. My dad died in the backyard there in 2010 after mowing the yard
                Going north on Bingle Road you run into Hempstead highway. Take a right and a block down on the left is the old Esquire Ballroom. Patsy Cline sang there back in the day. Now it’s the largest queer country and western bar in the country. Man times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by 12ring View Post
                  I only wish the whole world could go back even 40 years.
                  And stay there!
                  This would be perfect IMO... If not 40 then 50.

Comment

When we moved in that little home in Spring Branch we didn’t have a/c. All we used was an attic fan and left the windows up. Could you imagine in this day and age sleeping with only a screen between you and the outside world? We did without a phone for a while as well. Gas was .25 a gallon back then.

Comment

I got to spend a long weekend shooting white wings, drinkin whiskey, and smoking cigars, (I don't even like cigars) on the Rio Grande at Indian Hot Springs Ranch, many years ago. I have never felt further back in time, and I'd go back in a hot minute.
                      Last edited by Dale Moser; 04-20-2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Back then

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
                        Dadgum. At my age, 80+, go there all the time. Those were some good times.
                        Yep I'm 75 and go back often...we lived on dirt road no elec ,kerosene was cook stove and light,mail man drove jeep cause he had too..some roads were oyster shell due close to coast.

We didn't even have a Phone /no cell phone either or computer.Hand cranked tractors too!

Never had a complaint back then .Thats all we knew...

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          When we moved in that little home in Spring Branch we didn’t have a/c. All we used was an attic fan and left the windows up. Could you imagine in this day and age sleeping with only a screen between you and the outside world? We did without a phone for a while as well. Gas was .25 a gallon back then.
                          90% of the folks on here probably have no clue what an attic fan is. Lol!

That was all we had also until I was in jr high.

Comment

Just a few weeks ago, I drove my family by the house I grew up in. It didn't take long. All the houses had burglar bars, gang bangers standing all around, it was sad. Back in the 60's, there was a lot of love in that neighborhood.

Comment

When I go up to SE Kansas to my home town a couple of friends and I go to the river and commence shooting every gun we have. It gets noisy.
                              This year may be different with the ammo situation, but we'll manage some how.
                              For me the trip is definitely going back in time.
                              The major difference is the declining alcohol tolerance following the shooting fest. Minor and major story telling is the same wonderful event.

Comment

Working...
                              X