6.5 Grendel AR slow Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4x4 AG View Post
    So i see everyone is saying shorter barrels than i was looking at doing.
    My question is why?

Is it weight? Adding Suppressor? just curious.

I want to build one and do not use a suppressor. Was looking at doing a 20" barrel as I figured that would get me full burn. but i see 18" and shorter mentioned here.

Thank you,
    Justin
    I have a 20” .223/5.56 RRA and it does well and is a good shooting gun. I am wanting something bigger caliber and shorter barrel for overall compactness because I just feel like the 20” is a tad front heavy. Now that I have pretty much considered SBR, <16” is sounding more and more fun just because of the size and that would be part of the reason for considering 300Blk. But I never realized a Grendel would go 12” and perform.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
      Yes performs great out of a 12" barrel. The federal fusions are excellent, my favorite factory ammo for the grendel. The grendel will really shine with 100-120 grain handloads using the right bullet.

Tbox makes an incredible barrel, they have 12" grendel barrels. PSA sells uppers, they work fine. PSA is honestly a good value for the price I have killed plenty of critters with the 12" PSA barrel. Atheris rifle company also has 12" barrels but you will need to message them, I dont think the 12" are on the website. They respond quickly on Facebook. Tbox is the best, atheris is great for the coin, PSA is fine if you need a cheaper option.
      Ha well definitely gonna need some cheaper options compared to the Tbox and Aetrhis. .

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
        Ha well definitely gonna need some cheaper options compared to the Tbox and Aetrhis. .
        I get it but man they are so worth it! Their bolts are top of the line.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4 AG View Post
          yah my hunting is in a blind. so not weight worried, just wanted the most optimal overall length. and thought it was 20", but his thread has me thinking 18' maybe fine???

18 unsuppressed or 12 w/ suppressor are the way to go.

That being said I run an 18” barrel with a suppressor that adds about 5 inches give or take. I’ve shot it unsuppressed out to 700 with boring ease.

If you have a suppressor the 12” gets my vote if not 16-18 max for me.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Wow, the Atheris 12.5" 6.5 Grendel barrel looks really interesting! Had no idea this shop existed. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

thank you for the input. i googled it quite a bit yesterday and it looks like long distance shooters prefer the longer 22-24" barrels. but looking at the barrel velocities, the 18-20" barrels only have about 50fps difference between them.

PSA, shows the weight between their 20" and 18" barreled unit is the same. but if i had my rathers, i would prefer the 18" just for compactness.

Thank you.
              Justin

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
              18 unsuppressed or 12 w/ suppressor are the way to go.

That being said I run an 18” barrel with a suppressor that adds about 5 inches give or take. I’ve shot it unsuppressed out to 700 with boring ease.

If you have a suppressor the 12” gets my vote if not 16-18 max for me.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Have a buddy that has a Palmetto upper (12” barrel) that has made hits at 500 no problem. Any hunting out to 300 should be easy.

Adding a suppressor helps

Sierracharlie out…
                I get it but man they are so worth it! Their bolts are top of the line.
                Well I don’t want to go too cheap, but can’t go too expensive. What would be you guys thoughts on Faxon or Columbia River (BHW)? Faxon seem to have the reputation as good barrels, BHW I know has always been a brand I have recognized. Faxon 12” can be had around $175-225 fependingnin what you catch. CR/BHW are having a 30% off sale on custom barrels and I could get a 12” from them for about $160 or so, normally like $230 or so. What are you guys thoughts on either of those?

And how loud is this 12” gonna be? Especially with a brake or comp? Do linear comps help? The ones that push it to the front?

Comment

What are you guys thoughts on either of those?
                  Faxon is going to be a 1MOA barrel, not bad but not amazing. Perfectly fine for hunting. Personally, I'd take the BHW, I think they have a slightly better barrel.

And how loud is this 12” gonna be? Especially with a brake or comp? Do linear comps help? The ones that push it to the front?
                  It is going to be LOUD. Since you are shooting unsuppressed I'd get a linear comp for sure.

Comment

Well I don’t want to go too cheap, but can’t go too expensive. What would be you guys thoughts on Faxon or Columbia River (BHW)? Faxon seem to have the reputation as good barrels, BHW I know has always been a brand I have recognized. Faxon 12” can be had around $175-225 fependingnin what you catch. CR/BHW are having a 30% off sale on custom barrels and I could get a 12” from them for about $160 or so, normally like $230 or so. What are you guys thoughts on either of those?

I’ve seen some good reviews of Faxon barrels so I would have no issue purchasing one. I own a BHW barrel in 25-45 sharps and have no complains but I caught it on sale for only 90$ [emoji23] that being said, the round itself is not know to be a tack driver. Personally, I’d go after a faxon then bhw if I couldn’t get the faxon I wanted.

Comps (doesn’t matter the kind) suck for everyone but you. If you have zero plans to suppress then go a little longer on the barrel is my .02 but buy what makes you happy first and foremost. I have a 10 inch 223 upper that everyone complains is loud but when I’m behind it with ear pro it’s not hardly noticeable.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Faxon is going to be a 1MOA barrel, not bad but not amazing. Perfectly fine for hunting. Personally, I'd take the BHW, I think they have a slightly better barrel.

It is going to be LOUD. Since you are shooting unsuppressed I'd get a linear comp for sure.
                      Yea, and That would satisfy me. It doesn’t have to be precision. This is going to be an east Texas throw down gun, won’t be reaching out on anything with it. I have other guns (bolt actions) that I can pull out for that. Just don’t want it to shoot like “spray and pray” off a bench

I’ve seen some good reviews of Faxon barrels so I would have no issue purchasing one. I own a BHW barrel in 25-45 sharps and have no complains but I caught it on sale for only 90$ [emoji23] that being said, the round itself is not know to be a tack driver. Personally, I’d go after a faxon then bhw if I couldn’t get the faxon I wanted.

Comps (doesn’t matter the kind) suck for everyone but you. If you have zero plans to suppress then go a little longer on the barrel is my .02 but buy what makes you happy first and foremost. I have a 10 inch 223 upper that everyone complains is loud but when I’m behind it with ear pro it’s not hardly noticeable.

Sierracharlie out…
                      Ha well that was one reason why this was almost a 300blk. BHW had a 14” 300blk pistol gas length for $78 and I almost jumped on it. Now that I have opened my eyes to SBR, I am steering away from the 14” P/W to make 16”. I really think this will get suppressed at some point. But the build will be completed before I get to doing any suppressor work.

And from what I see, CR/BHW calls their Grendel type 2 a 264 LBC?
                      Last edited by BBReezen; 07-16-2019, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Triggers?

I am very accustomed to a RRA two stage that is in my current .223. Anything comparable to that would be good wth me. Single or two stage, I don’t use the two stage like it’s meant to be.

ALG Advanced Combat Trigger looks to be a very nice mil-spec style enhanced trigger for $70. Lots of good praise on YouTube for what it is using the lighter purple spring. Anyone have any experience with it?

I had a timney drop in about 8 years ago, wasn’t a fan. Have seen some CMC and equivalent other drop ins for $130-$160. Pros or cons of these?

Comment

Triggers?

I am very accustomed to a RRA two stage that is in my current .223. Anything comparable to that would be good wth me. Single or two stage, I don’t use the two stage like it’s meant to be.

ALG Advanced Combat Trigger looks to be a very nice mil-spec style enhanced trigger for $70. Lots of good praise on YouTube for what it is using the lighter purple spring. Anyone have any experience with it?

I had a timney drop in about 8 years ago, wasn’t a fan. Have seen some CMC and equivalent other drop ins for $130-$160. Pros or cons of these?

IIRC the type two is what you want cause it has the correct dimensions. Will check on that and confirm.

As far as triggers go, IMO, the RRA is an outstanding trigger for the money. If you just want to save a few coins, the ACT is also an outstanding trigger. RRA for more precision work, ACT best combat style trigger (CQB type work not sniper stuff but can do both fairly well) on the market.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Love my Grendel.. I alway say you get what you pay for. I went with Grendel hunter and ordered everything from their website. Grendelhunter.com look them up. The first time I took it to the range I was shooting .039 MOA groups at 200 yards with hornady 123 sst.

Comment

Comment

Faxom had their barrels 15-20% not sure if that sale is still going on but it was over the weekend for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X