No announcement yet.

Deer at Taxidermist Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost a turkey like that several years ago. Half down up front. Stopped answering phone. Went to business it was boarded up. Went to sheriffs office, found out there had already been many charges filed so I jumped on ban wagon. A year later he calls me, tells me a taxidermist in Colorado has my turkey. Says all he would get out of it is the other half I owed him. Got number called taxi, he assured me he had MY turkey and if other peoples ducks and geese. Idk but he delivered a finished turkey to my house a couple of months later and I paid him. Still not 100% sure it’s mine. Crazy stuff. Oh and he asked me to drop charges, I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I would be in the middle of that - I would be on his door step getting my deer and refund = no excuse for it

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        Sense he specified a time frame and you are now approaching 3x's over that allotted time frame I would be fairly concerned. I am use to a 10-12 month wait from the couple of taxi's I use and if it runs a few months over its not a big deal.

If i was almost 33 months in that would not be acceptable or okay and I would get getting my stuff and taking it elsewhere.
        Well 20 months, not 33.

Comment

Rule #1 never ever leave the horns or antlers to any trophy with a taxi till they call you back for the final process
          I don’t trust any guy running a taxidermist shop all them have a tendency to fly off the rails at one time or another, and you may never see the horns or the taxi again
          I do pay a 1/2 deposit but would rather lose that than the trophy

So repeat NEVER Ever trust any taxidermist with a trophy
          Money can be replaced but never a trophy animal

Comment

I'd go get it and take it somewhere else! Sure makes me appreciate my taxidermist.

Comment

I had a bobcat full body mount done in 6 months.

Comment

Chalk it off

Comment

Originally posted by cwbow View Post
                  Well 20 months, not 33.
                  I transferred the time frame the OP is experiencing over to what I normally see with wait times to draw a parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    Rule #1 never ever leave the horns or antlers to any trophy with a taxi till they call you back for the final process
                    I don’t trust any guy running a taxidermist shop all them have a tendency to fly off the rails at one time or another, and you may never see the horns or the taxi again
                    I do pay a 1/2 deposit but would rather lose that than the trophy

So repeat NEVER Ever trust any taxidermist with a trophy
                    Money can be replaced but never a trophy animal

This is spot on - I ALWAYS get my horns and keep them with me until the taxi says he is ready to mount them -

Comment

Steady stream of work

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                      This is spot on - I ALWAYS get my horns and keep them with me until the taxi says he is ready to mount them -
                      I was in the outfitting business for 30 + years and got burned a couple of times early on
                      And if a taxidermist doesn’t want our steady supply of white tails, mulie, and pronghorn, nilgai on our simple terms I wouldn’t do business with them
                      Same goes for the meat processor ( clean, quality, prompt and zero attitude)

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        I was in the outfitting business for 30 + years and got burned a couple of times early on
                        And if a taxidermist doesn’t want our steady supply of white tails, mulie, and pronghorn, nilgai on our simple terms I wouldn’t do business with them
                        Same goes for the meat processor ( clean, quality, prompt and zero attitude)
                        IMO ANY taxi taking over a year to do a deer mount is bad news period - I drop mine off in Nov-Dec and by March-April he is calling for me to come pick it up -

Comment

IMO ANY taxi taking over a year to do a deer mount is bad news period - I drop mine off in Nov-Dec and by March-April he is calling for me to come pick it up -
                          Well that’s a bit drastic don’t you think?

Comment

Your taxi must not be very busy. I get worried if they say it will take maybe 4 months or less. I expect at least 10 to 12 months from the taxi's I use!

Comment

I think a 6-8 month turn around is a good time frame on normal mount , 9-10 if shipping is involved or year if a special/ unique request ( he should be sending you progressive pictures if a special request)

Comment

We are fortunate to have two very good taxi's down here & both take 1-2 years...the time doesn't bother me as much as the run around. Pretty much the norm for the better ones to have these sort of lead times.

Also, I will not leave the horns with the taxi...take them home & just call me when ready for them. Might as well enjoy them & have possession of the main ingredient during the wait.

If I were you, I would get in there & grab your bone!!
                                Last edited by Artos; 07-08-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X