Deer at Taxidermist Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer at Taxidermist Question.

Nov 28, 2017 I dropped off my deer to a new to me taxidermist.
    Initially was told 6-8 months to complete. Around the 8 month mark I had called and spoke and he said it wasn't done. No big deal, as I know not to expect a fast return on taxidermy.

Checked in with him in Nov of 2018 and sent multiple texts and finally got a response on Jan 24th, 2019 and he still had not ordered my form and it would be completed as soon as possible. Hide was already tanned and wouldn't take long for him to finish.

May was the last time I had spoke with him and said it would be done in a couple weeks.

I understand things happen with family and other personal issues happen which may push back work for a 1 man full time taxidermist.

Being on month 19 and still has not started on mine (hide has been tanned). But have been tempted to just go get my hide and horns and take it somewhere else to be completed.

Just seeing if I am the one over reacting or do most taxidermist take over twice as long to complete.
    Last edited by txhunter90; 07-08-2019, 02:20 PM. Reason: Change title

He has messed up your hide, or lost the horns or something else fishy. Taxidermy is a slow process, but not that slow.

Comment

I got mine back in about 4 months this year. My buddy has never gotten his back later than about 8mos. He does have a guy that works for him so there are 2 people there but he also has a lot of work. He guides in Colorado for Elk then brings them all home to do. He also gets a lot of Africa work form people. He does great work, but he also stays on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by big_smith View Post
        He has messed up your hide, or lost the horns or something else fishy. Taxidermy is a slow process, but not that slow.
        That is what has been going through my mind. I sure hope this is not the case. I am starting to think he may think I will just forget about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
          I got mine back in about 4 months this year. My buddy has never gotten his back later than about 8mos. He does have a guy that works for him so there are 2 people there but he also has a lot of work. He guides in Colorado for Elk then brings them all home to do. He also gets a lot of Africa work form people. He does great work, but he also stays on top of it.
          Have a buddy that already received his Nov 2018 deer back and looks great. I am continuing to wait for twice his length of time, frustrating.

Comment

Just go get it. Take it somewhere else

Comment

txhunter90, is it a local taxidermy shop? If so would you PM me he name so I never use them.

Comment

Sense he specified a time frame and you are now approaching 3x's over that allotted time frame I would be fairly concerned. I am use to a 10-12 month wait from the couple of taxi's I use and if it runs a few months over its not a big deal.

If i was almost 33 months in that would not be acceptable or okay and I would get getting my stuff and taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                  txhunter90, is it a local taxidermy shop? If so would you PM me he name so I never use them.
                  Kind of local, as of right now do not want to drag him through the mud without knowing exactly what has been going on. But will keep you updated.

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  Sense he specified a time frame and you are now approaching 3x's over that allotted time frame I would be fairly concerned. I am use to a 10-12 month wait from the couple of taxi's I use and if it runs a few months over its not a big deal.

If i was almost 33 months in that would not be acceptable or okay and I would get getting my stuff and taking it elsewhere.
                  Yea for sure.

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Just go get it. Take it somewhere else
                  That is the way I am leaning and be done with it.

Comment

Something's fishy. If you're having a hard time getting ahold of him especially. I'd bet money he avoids you like the plague the minute you mention you want to come pick up your stuff. Hope he does you right and there's some logical explanation but it doesn't sound promising.

Comment

Originally posted by PolkFiction View Post
                      Something's fishy. If you're having a hard time getting ahold of him especially. I'd bet money he avoids you like the plague the minute you mention you want to come pick up your stuff. Hope he does you right and there's some logical explanation but it doesn't sound promising.

Yea I definitely would not let him know I was on my way. I would just show up and get it. I would also ask for a refund for most of my money if it is tanned and all of my money if it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by PolkFiction View Post

First I called a few times got one answer. So I just thought he was busy and has been text ever since. I just shrugged him not texting back alot of the time being he may not like to text. But, I did it for my paper trail and takes not time to respond. I know some family issues arose. But, I am getting impatient now.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                          Yea I definitely would not let him know I was on my way. I would just show up and get it. I would also ask for a refund for most of my money if it is tanned and all of my money if it is not.
                          Good idea, I paid half down and the rest was supposed to be upon completion.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                            Good idea, I paid half down and the rest was supposed to be upon completion.
                            I never have provided a deposit at a Taxidermists

Comment

It should Never take that long. PERIOD...

Comment

Working...
                              X