Light deployment / tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light deployment / tactics

I was hog hunting Friday night when I looked down from my tree and a big boar was just standing there about 25 yards from my corn just watching. He crept up slowly. I could see his shadow because the ambient light was strong. When he started eating the corn i clicked on my green light. It startled him. I know they can't see red or green but they can see shadows and changes. Do you turn your lights on and slowly move them towards the target or just click them on? Just curious.

I have always gone with feeder lights as my experience has been the shadows always scare them off. Maybe if there was a dimmer switch that brought up the light slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by OPC Patrick View Post
      I have always gone with feeder lights as my experience has been the shadows always scare them off. Maybe if there was a dimmer switch that brought up the light slowly.
      I'd read that - thanks. But many hunters use bow lights so I'm just curious.

Comment

Make the transition gradual. Turn the light on above the animal and slowly creep down until you're on target. I agree, that sudden change in shadows tipped him off.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
          Make the transition gradual. Turn the light on above the animal and slowly creep down until you're on target. I agree, that sudden change in shadows tipped him off.
          Thanks. This is why I come to this forum, so that i learn from the more experienced.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
            Thanks. This is why I come to this forum, so that i learn from the more experienced.
            Anytime. I mainly use that tactic in predator hunting. Also has worked for me in hog hunting as well. I've had that same exact situation you experienced.

Comment

SNIPER HOG LIGHTS hands down

Tried them all and his work best and are the strongest!

Comment

...also make sure your "click" to turn the light on is not an audible "click"... it don't take much of a small but sharp sound to send everything in to full panic mode...

Comment

Do a search for gonehunting68.
                  He has killed a million hogs at night and done Alot of research.
                  There is one thread in particular that is extremely informative. You will have to dig it up unless someone knows which one I am talking about.
                  Basically you flash them a few times until they get used to it. Then you lower it down over them and get on it

Comment

I've always come to full draw and locked into my anchor point then turned the light on, if they don't seam to mind it's game on, if they jump a bit I turn it off and then back on a couple times till they get used to it. Most times by the time they jump a bit the arrow is cutting through them, but our hogs get very little pressure. TILL NOW

Comment

I've seen plenty of hogs run from green lights but never one run from red. Green is too bright IMO.

Comment

I turn mine on with it pointed up and lower it to the target.
                        This is how I was taught and have never tried turning it on pointed directly at my target.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodSpiller View Post
                          I've seen plenty of hogs run from green lights but never one run from red. Green is too bright IMO.
                          Agreed seen it many times myself

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                            x2

May take many times of trying to bring the light down onto him before he stays still enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                              Do a search for gonehunting68.
                              He has killed a million hogs at night and done Alot of research.
                              There is one thread in particular that is extremely informative. You will have to dig it up unless someone knows which one I am talking about.
                              Basically you flash them a few times until they get used to it. Then you lower it down over them and get on it
                              Good-to-go

Comment

Working...
                              X