No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Well Update - They were able to hit really good water at 480ft and are getting over 60gpm. We are hoping to start trenching within the next two weeks.

We ended up getting 0.4in of rain yesterday which is just enough to keep the dust down. We really need a 2in + rain event to get everything greening up nicely. I hope to have an update on everything once I'm out there next weekend.

Comment

Excellent water!! That should be enough to make a difference on that pond!

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
        Water Well Update - They were able to hit really good water at 480ft and are getting over 60gpm. We are hoping to start trenching within the next two weeks.

We ended up getting 0.4in of rain yesterday which is just enough to keep the dust down. We really need a 2in + rain event to get everything greening up nicely. I hope to have an update on everything once I'm out there next weekend.
        Heckuva well. Good for y’all
        That will fill up a tank !
        I’m literally less than 5 gallon minute @ 300’. Only good for cattle

We have gotten some nice showers this year. .9” in eastern Brown county during the latest wind storm. Everything is greening up, but not much runoff from the 20 minute downpour.

Comment

We just purchased 500lbs of Purina Dewormer pellets. We are going to put around 125lbs in 4 of our protein feeders. Our plan is just adding it on top of our current pellets and once the deer eat the remaining pellets, which should be in 2 weeks, then they will get to the dewormer feed. Hoping this stuff will help our deer herd because $30 a bag is expensive!

Comment

This is what they recommended. It says it’s for antelope and gazelles but the feed store said deer can also eat it. Anyone have any history feeding this? Just want to make sure it’s okay to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I spoke with Ag Mart and they said they have a lot of people feed this dewormer to deer and that it’s totally fine for deer. We put 150lbs in all 5 protein feeders. All of these feeders were full so we just topped them off with dewormer so they should start eating it in 2-3 weeks or so.

We installed some new pond habitat today. We focused on the **** side. The “root wads” will be in 3-5ft of water, the safe haven and trophy trees will be in 6-8ft of water, and the XL lay downs will be in 8-10ft of water. Here’s a picture showing it installed.

Comment

Here’s another picture showing another part of the pond. This structure will be around 8ft deep. Those plastic trees are around 6ft wide. Once the pond is full the water will be up around 4-5ft up that dead tree in the background.

Comment

Looking good! Will be a great addition to the ranch when the pond is full!

Comment

Looking great

I spent a few hours gathering the rocks around our mostly dry tanks and stacking them in small piles for some structure. I tried to vary the depth of the piles on average water level.
                    Bass definitely congregate on the real wood logs in our other tank.
                    Last edited by Big pig; 03-14-2023, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Love getting these updates. Wish I lived out in Texas on our place to work on it!

Comment

Tree Update

I was able to check on the trees last weekend and saw that three trees died during the drought this past year, which we expected to happen due to how dry it has been. All of the other 24 trees are doing great. The Mexican Plum and Chickasaw Plum trees are doing really well! We will be re-mulching all of these trees and adding some cages around the ones that are growing out of the tubes. Here are some pictures of the trees:
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree 1 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	24708989

Name:	Tree 2 (Large).jpg
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	24708990

Name:	Tree 3 (Large).jpg
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	24708991

Name:	Tree 4 (Large).jpg
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	24708992
                        Some of these trees grew over a foot this past year!

Name:	17 (Large).jpg
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	24708993
                        We saw some gobblers around the house feeder. We heard a couple of gobbles but still not very vocal yet.

Name:	19 (Large).jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	24708994
                        My daughter found one of the sheds from a nice 10-pointer we let walk this past season. This side scored 63.3in so we are estimating this buck scored around 145in or so. We are hoping he can add some more mass and length this summer.

We were able to broadcast Turner's Native Pollinator Mix in the areas we recently had cleared. We weren't able to seed everything that we've had cleared but have broadcasted around 7 acres worth so far. Now we need mother nature to take over and provide some rain!

Bass Pond Update:
                        The trencher will be out there towards the end of this month and will start trenching the pipe from the new well to the ponds and field. We are hoping we can start pumping water to the big pond sometime in April. We are going to add a few more MossBack fish structure products and once all of it is covered under water we will be adding the following to the pond:
                        600 Bluegill
                        10lbs of Golden Shiners
                        10lbs of Fathead Minnows

Comment

How much rain this week?
                          .6” here in east Brown co and no hail.
                          No runoff

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                            How much rain this week?
                            .6” here in east Brown co and no hail.
                            No runoff
                            Unfortunately, we haven't received any rain this week. We are extremely dry and need some help from mother nature.

Comment

What's the process of planting those seeds? We have some openings that we cleared and no grass grew at all last year. So looking to get something out there.

Comment

Originally posted by BCoop27 View Post
                                What's the process of planting those seeds? We have some openings that we cleared and no grass grew at all last year. So looking to get something out there.
                                We broadcasted the seed with a hand spreader in early March but we have literally had zero rainfall to help cover the seed. I'm sure some of the seeds have been covered by dirt but you typically won't see any of the native perennial grasses or forbs grow the first year or two, especially if there's no rain. We typically see a big response in grasses in the third year after broadcasting. I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X