Got A Good One For You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    I would bet he greatly enjoys working on his ranch by himself. Probably does not like like people out running around on his property, acting like his property belongs to them, then telling him, they don't like what, he does, or how and when he does things, and that he should change when, and or how he does things. Old people and more so old ranchers don't like people telling them they should change how and when they have been doing things for most of their life. Remember you are a guest on his property and his way of life. You should try to fit into his world and not try to tell him, he should change how he has been doing things probably since before you were born.
    I agree with some of what you said. But when the landowner takes your money and cashes that check, he just gave you permission to be on his property for a price. Not really a guest at that point in my opinion. If a landowner isn`t willing to try and not ruin or interrupt hunts from hunters who have taken time off from work and drove lots of mile they shouldn`t take the money. Things are going to happen from time to time and that just goes with leasing land to hunt on but there are landowners who just want to take your money and then they don`t want you on it. I`ve been on one like that so I know that it happens. I had a landowner drive between me and my feeder in his truck with his friend @ 5pm with guns sticking out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      You are very likely looking at things wrong, meaning you probably don't understand why he does what he does. If he is truly an old rancher, he really does not care much about growing big deer. But he will understand that some guys get a bit crazy over big deer, but most likely does not realize how obsessed some guys get about trying to kill big deer.

There is a strong chance he is just working his property like he always has. Probably some years ago some other land owner told him he could make extra money every year leasing his property out to hunters. So he started leasing it at some point. If he stared leasing it 30 years ago or so, the people he was leasing to, were not going to be so obsessive about growing and killing big deer. He and those hunters would have been more on the same line of thinking. He probably still thinks the same way, but many hunters are quite obsessed with growing and then shooting big deer. He probably don't give a rat's *** about all that nonsense, all he wants is that big chunk of extra money each year.

Then again it's his property and he likely has worked his land all by himself or mostly by himself most of his life and ran his ranch how he wants to run it. He is probably much more worried about making sure his cattle are healthy than, that the guys leasing his land have big deer to shoot at.

I grew up around ranching, grew up around many ranchers. I remember hearing them talk between themselves about the crazy money that hunters would pay to lease their land to hunt on, back 30 plus years ago, back when you could lease land cheaply.

I knew ranchers, who started out as ranchers and still were ranchers, but at some point, oil companies started drilling for oil, and they went from barely getting by. To being very well off. But they would still spend most of their time working their cattle and running their properties as cattle ranches, that's the life the knew, that's just what they do, even once they are making more money than they know how to spend.

I would bet he greatly enjoys working on his ranch by himself. Probably does not like like people out running around on his property, acting like his property belongs to them, then telling him, they don't like what, he does, or how and when he does things, and that he should change when, and or how he does things. Old people and more so old ranchers don't like people telling them they should change how and when they have been doing things for most of their life. Remember you are a guest on his property and his way of life. You should try to fit into his world and not try to tell him, he should change how he has been doing things probably since before you were born.

I'd understand it this were a new thing for him (leasing to deer hunters) but as far as I know he's been doing it for 15 years plus. He runs off a group and has no issues bringing on a new group. He talks like the is the great white hunter but he contradicts his own words every time you turn around. For instance, His lease talks about how important it is for us not to drive the property during rut, but he's out there with a shredder and burning brush piles right in the middle if it.

It just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
        Put me in line if someone leaves.
        You don't want this... Trust me. There is a reason he's filling spots every single year.

Comment

Wait till you get to deal with a LO's son who lives on the property. We had the pleasure of doing that last season. I'm pretty sure he is out there because he is a liability if he is in town. Creepy dude! My wife only went down there 2 times because she was not comfortable at the camp at all. On a side note, I killed my PB and got out of there. lol Lots of fun stuff to talk about from our one year on that place. I'm so sick of the drama, I think I'm ok with doing a Nilgai hunt and fishing more this year. Good places with good LOs are so hard to find. I'm sure good groups of hunters are hard to find too for a good LO.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
            Wait till you get to deal with a LO's son who lives on the property. We had the pleasure of doing that last season. I'm pretty sure he is out there because he is a liability if he is in town. Creepy dude! My wife only went down there 2 times because she was not comfortable at the camp at all. On a side note, I killed my PB and got out of there. lol Lots of fun stuff to talk about from our one year on that place. I'm so sick of the drama, I think I'm ok with doing a Nilgai hunt and fishing more this year. Good places with good LOs are so hard to find. I'm sure good groups of hunters are hard to find too for a good LO.

You must be hunting in Tilden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted 800 acres in Kimble County northwest of Junction, and our landowner had helicopter flying over shooting yotes the Friday afternoon before opening day of bow season. Guess how many deer I saw that weekend???

Comment

Sneak up and hunt during the week. Hunt more early season and late rut. I think LO like this are what drives the package hunt places. No drama just have fun and kill a nice deer and probably less money by far. You could probably do a couple package hunts for else’s than your lease and expense on that place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dknut View Post
                  You must be hunting in Tilden!

Reading through this thread, I think we were neighbors! hahaha

Comment

This

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    Volunteer your time to get the tasks he is doing during deer hunting hours, next to your stand, done at more conducive times, and explain why you want to help.

If he says no, I think you know why, and make your decision from there.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                      Reading through this thread, I think we were neighbors! hahaha
                      Hahaha! Two of the worst LO's sharing a fence line. Go figure.

Comment

Hahaha! Two of the worst LO's sharing a fence line. Go figure.
                        It is a shame too because that area is awesome!

Comment

Plus the neighbors have told us repeatedly that they watch the place during the week and notice no work is done in the hunting pasture during the week. They have told us that the second we show up, they get on their equipment and head out into the pasture.

I firmly believe he likes our money but doesn't want us shooting his deer.
                          I think this tells you exactly what you need to hear.

Comment

You sound like a pain in the ***.

He's doing ranch work.

Comment

Life is too short to pay for a headache!! Leases are hard to find, but I’d rather not have a place to hunt than deal with those issues.

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                                Leased Land in Erath County many year back. Oil and Gas companies were hitting up land owners big time. A week before opening day Gun season the owner let oil and gas in to do some THUMPING. How I found out was opening morning heading to our stands we see cords and sending boxes everywhere.

No one saw anything that morning. We confronted the landowner, and that’s when he informed us that they had machinery that was thumping the ground looking for oil and gas a few days ago. Needless to say we didn’t see any deer for at least a month. We were very disappointed.
                                I’ve had thumper trucks and guys on 4wheelers running lines before
                                Luckily it was on the bottom 8,000
                                New wells drilling
                                Helicopter moving cattle
                                Not much you can do about it, usually the deer are used to it on a briscoe ranch

Comment

Working...
                                X