Arrow weight for hunting 45lb recurve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered some arrows for my new bow and now I’m thinking I messed up! The bow is a Ben Pearson 7058 45#@28” my compound DL was 28.5 or 29 I can’t remember exactly.

The arrows I ordered mainly just for practice for now are traditional only carbon 9.1gpi I think they will be around 30” finished I plan using 50gr inserts and 125gr heads just because I have some already. That will put me at 460.73gr total. According to 3 rivers I should be able to shoot 200gr up front at that arrow length and draw weight and still be spined correctly.

Does this set up sound good enough to get deep penetration on hogs?

What spine shaft are you using?
    Switching from a 125 to 200.gr head should make quite a difference.
    I use 29” 400 shafts and 200 gr head with a 50 gr in/outsert out of my r/d #46@28” longbow, with an actual DL right at 28”. Arrow weight is 540gr.

Comment

And yes, It performs well on hogs, with a sharp broadhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsehide View Post
        What spine shaft are you using?
        Switching from a 125 to 200.gr head should make quite a difference.
        I use 29” 400 shafts and 200 gr head with a 50 gr in/outsert out of my r/d #46@28” longbow, with an actual DL right at 28”. Arrow weight is 540gr.
        The arrows I’m currently shooting are black Eagle 340s they are my compound bow arrows I’m just playing with them. I’ve only been shooting trad for 4 days lol so I’m not really set up yet.

Comment

Those are probably pretty stiff no? You would probably need lighter spine like long 400s or 500s.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Those are probably pretty stiff no? You would probably need lighter spine like long 400s or 500s.

Yeah for sure. I ordered some 400s I just wanted to ask y’all if those will be the right spine. According to 3 rivers chart they recommend 400s but I feel like I’ll be right on the edge of too weak of a spine adding 200+ grains up front.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              Yeah for sure. I ordered some 400s I just wanted to ask y’all if those will be the right spine. According to 3 rivers chart they recommend 400s but I feel like I’ll be right on the edge of too weak of a spine adding 200+ grains up front.
              I can shoot 400s at 45lbs but my bows are cut last center. It makes a significant difference.

Comment

You may need to leave the shafts full length and move the tip weight up to a total of 250 grains. About the only way to do that is with 100 grain brass inserts.

Comment

I'm no "high FOC" guy. Nor am I a "HEAVY ARROWS OMGZZZZZ" guy...

I like a great arrow tune, sharp broadheads, and 10-11 gpp. Wherever that puts ya.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                    You may need to leave the shafts full length and move the tip weight up to a total of 250 grains. About the only way to do that is with 100 grain brass inserts.

I’m in this camp^^^^^^.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With normal draw length, I would think you’ll likely need to front load them to get the spine right with 400s. 200 grains+ sounds like the right direction, but you won’t know until you get your form down and start tinkering. If you want to go the heavy/reusable broadhead route, I’d check out vpa. Whatever weight you end up needing they probably make, and I’ve never had one I recovered not be able to be resharpened and go back in the quiver. As long as you’re well tuned with a sharp broadhead you should be good, I personally shoot around 9.5 and 11 GPP depending what the bow likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by HunterB; 11-16-2022, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                        If I do a 50gr insert and a 200gr head that would accomplish the same thing right? Would my selection of broad heads be limited?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                          If I do a 50gr insert and a 200gr head that would accomplish the same thing right? Would my selection of broad heads be limited?
                          If you have a strong preference as to the heads you want to shoot you can start there in the weight they are available then build backwards as to inserts, shaft spine and length, etc

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            If you have a strong preference as to the heads you want to shoot you can start there in the weight they are available then build backwards as to inserts, shaft spine and length, etc
                            Really have no preference just want to make sure I can get these arrows to spine right with my set up.

Comment

Here are the 200 grain screw-in broadheads sold by Three Rivers - plenty of choices:

Comment

Working...
                              X