No announcement yet.

Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again. Lots of great info. I believe I'll stick to a WB. As it hasn't failed me yet.

Comment

OK, while I am still considering myself "new" to archery (1.5 yrs, and I don't go as often as I would like), I feel i could speak to this.

Speed. Half of the formula for kenetic energy is velocity. The other half being mass. So the faster something can travel, the more KE it can have when hitting the target.

Accuracy. I am not and will not say WB is not accurate. However, when an arrow is practically untouched outside of the air it is traveling through, you can say factually that is is more accurate than an arrow that is being put through a small amount of stress going through a whisker biscuit. I know it is designed to go through it, but a small amount of force is still being applied, making it less accurate (not to be confused with inaccurate) than a drop away.

The one downside to a drop away that I have found is because nothing is making contact, my arrow can make noise when drawing back. I need to work on that.

Comment

I use limb driven drop away. Thinking about moving to wb on backup bow. I have had two failures of drop away in the field. I try to keep things tight in the field but get surprised once in a while. Archery elk, I will cover between 9 and 15 miles a day plus navigate FS roads on motorcycle with bow strapped to my backpack. Things loosen and not everything is a candidate for lock tite.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
          I know of several that have gone from whisker biscuit to Drop away (QAD) but none that have done the opposite.
          I went from a drop away to a biscuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
            For a spot and stalk scenario I feel the WB out performs. Or in theory it should.
            My QAD drop away has full containment

Comment

I walked to within 30 yds of a cow elk, She started to run as I was starting to draw I bumped my arrow from the string it hung in my wb. I was able to grab - reknock the arrow and make the shot. Had I been using a drop away the arrow would have fallen to the ground and I would not have harvested the elk. The arrow had plenty of speed as it passed completely through both lungs and stuck in a tree. So for me drop away for target and wb for stalking.

Comment

I shot several different drop aways then shot a WB for several years. The drop in speed is negligable. Maybe 2-3fps if that. I have gone back to a drop away recently. I'm a tad more accurate with the drop I believe but it has moving parts. So there is always a possibility of something going wrong...

Comment

Swore I'd never go to a drop away. More things move, more can go wrong. Well, I've since tried a ripcord and QAD. Ripcord was ok but I love the QAD. WB is fine but I noticed an immediate improvement with accuracy with the QAD.

Comment

Whisker Biscuit or Drop Away

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                    Have you actually chronoed those speeds? I am seeing that a PSE X force IBOs at 350, but would be interested in your actual chrono results. Also, what is your draw length?

Yes I actually chrono’d that speed multiple times. I don’t shoot a peep and only had a string loop on the string. My X Force is an X Force OMen or something like that and IBO is like 358. 5” brace height, 70# draw, 30” draw length.

This is the one I have. I can’t remember exact speed but I think it shot 356, that’s why I said 350 plus.

4th Generation X Tech Split limb New Centerlock Pocket System Planar Flex Riser Design reduces handle deflection and twist UF "Ultra Fast" Hybrid Cam System B.E.S.T. RAPTOR Grip Improved vibration damping through cam dynamics, patented mass

For those saying a WB messes up vanes, I shot over 100 times through mine using either a very stiff vane like Blazers or 4 fletch low profile vanes with negligible wear.

A WB is not evil like some would like to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by Mike D; 05-22-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Yes I actually chrono’d that speed multiple times. I don’t shoot a peep and only had a string loop on the string. My X Force is an X Force OMen or something like that and IBO is like 358. 5” brace height, 70# draw, 30” draw length.

This is the one I have. I can’t remember exact speed but I think it shot 356, that’s why I said 350 plus.

4th Generation X Tech Split limb New Centerlock Pocket System Planar Flex Riser Design reduces handle deflection and twist UF "Ultra Fast" Hybrid Cam System B.E.S.T. RAPTOR Grip Improved vibration damping through cam dynamics, patented mass

For those saying a WB messes up vanes, I shot over 100 times through mine using either a very stiff vane like Blazers or 4 fletch low profile vanes with negligible wear.

A WB is not evil like some would like to believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      What arrow weight are you shooting? That is a super fast bow

Comment

Hamskea hybrid hunter and you won't thinking about it again. Built like tanks and extremely reliable.

Comment

Owning an archery shop for 18 years allowed me to try pretty much anything I wanted. I keep 2 identical bows set up to hunt. I set up and tuned one with a WB, and the other with a QAD. Both are fine arrow rests. At ranges to 45 yards, I couldn’t shoot the difference. I fletch my arrows with Blazer vanes with good helical, and never had vane issues with either rest. Once the moleskin on my QAD rest wore to the point I had impact change, I replaced it, and had significant impact change again. Never had that issue with my WB. I will not say that one is better than the other, but I will say that a WB is very reliable, accurate, and I can trust it.

Comment

I like the WB!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                              Deer can hear the arrow on the draw cycle of a whisker biscuit on a quiet day.
                              Then you have the wrong arrow. Mine are silent.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                                Owning an archery shop for 18 years allowed me to try pretty much anything I wanted. I keep 2 identical bows set up to hunt. I set up and tuned one with a WB, and the other with a QAD. Both are fine arrow rests. At ranges to 45 yards, I couldn’t shoot the difference. I fletch my arrows with Blazer vanes with good helical, and never had vane issues with either rest. Once the moleskin on my QAD rest wore to the point I had impact change, I replaced it, and had significant impact change again. Never had that issue with my WB. I will not say that one is better than the other, but I will say that a WB is very reliable, accurate, and I can trust it.
                                Thank you!!! I like tried and true. Keep it simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X