No announcement yet.

James Daughtrey WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter drew a youth management hunt. If you have a pop up bring it. The deer we saw seemed wary of the box blinds they had out. The blinds are pretty nice, but most of what we saw seemed to be well away from the blind on he sendero we were hunting.

I set and brushed in up a pop up closer to where we saw deer movement and we had a shot opportunity as a result (she missed a great buck, but that’s the breaks sometimes).

We were in compartment 10 I think, over on the north side of the lake. We did have some issue with duck hunters blazing away-maybe legally, maybe not. To avoid that a compartment nearer to the check station might be in order since some of them don’t border the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cypress Hunter.... Nice deer. Hope to see a nice big 7. Thanks for the pic

Army of Dad..... I have been hearing that they are weary of the blinds. We are bringing pop-ups to use. I have been using HuntStand to see points that I want to look at for possible locations. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by NWernig View Post

Army of Dad..... I have been hearing that they are weary of the blinds. We are bringing pop-ups to use. I have been using HuntStand to see points that I want to look at for possible locations. Thanks
        I was in a pop up that TPWD staff put up a day or two before I hunted it. The same pop up was set up for a couple of days the week prior for that draw hunt (and taken down in the interim).

It wasn't brushed and after the first afternoon the deer weren't wary of it. In fact, the big 10 walked between my parked truck and the pop up like he owned the place (which he did).

I'd be surprised if the deer are too wary of the permanent blinds down there given the fact that they are sitting idle for 10 months out the the year.

Oh and I too was holding out for a big 7. I passed on a spike early, holding out for a 140 7. Didn't see a 7 at all. Should have taken the spike when I had the chance!

If you get a decent sized compartment with several senderos, I recommend that you strategically corn them so that you can stay mobile and walk to check them. I've done that in the past with my kids on youth hunts at Chap and Daughtrey and they were successful.
        Last edited by Mule Skinner; 10-03-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I haven't been lucky enough to draw Daughtrey yet. Really want to hunt this one. I live about 25 mile from there and have been there several times (just not for the deer hunts). A very special place, with lots of nice bucks. I've spent a lot of time in the state park and on the lake. This is a great place. Like has already been mentioned, I don't think it matters which compartment you draw; they're all good.
          Best of luck to those who got lucky and drew tags here.

Comment

Originally posted by NWernig View Post

You should be okay with a pop up or tripod since that is one of the earlier hunts. Once the mgmt and kid hunts happen they start to become much more weary.

I wouldn’t bother looking at locations yet because you have about 10-12 units you could be tossed in so it’s pretty much a wash. As far as which unit I try to go with units I have already been in as half the battle is scouting and with a short time frame it’s tough. That being said unless the biologist strongly suggest a certain unit I’d go with 6, 9, or 14 since I have been in them before.

Take a tripod or pop up and update the thread with what unit you select so we can try and assist

Comment

I spent time roaming around the Daughtrey 20 years ago for work. Amazing deer. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                You should be okay with a pop up or tripod since that is one of the earlier hunts. Once the mgmt and kid hunts happen they start to become much more weary.

I wouldn’t bother looking at locations yet because you have about 10-12 units you could be tossed in so it’s pretty much a wash. As far as which unit I try to go with units I have already been in as half the battle is scouting and with a short time frame it’s tough. That being said unless the biologist strongly suggest a certain unit I’d go with 6, 9, or 14 since I have been in them before.

Take a tripod or pop up and update the thread with what unit you select so we can try and assist
                I should clarify. Once the Mgmt and Youth hunts are over the deer are much more weary come the Either Sex hunts

Comment

150class.... I appreciate the input. Looking at the land is also something I have been doing for fun while killing time. I’m going to take a pop-up and set it up after a little bit of scouting. Plus, it seems like the people that work there are going to be pretty helpful in the advice department

Comment

I drew the either sex archery hunt in late Dec. I'm excited about the opportunity. I look forward to reading about your management hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin93 View Post
                      I drew the either sex archery hunt in late Dec. I'm excited about the opportunity. I look forward to reading about your management hunt.
                      Vermin93.... I will definitely update and give any information I learn on this hunt. The count down has begun for me now that I have recovered from the Laguna bow hunt. 3 weeks and counting

Comment

Packed up and heading out around lunch tomorrow. Going to have a relaxing night at Choke Canyon SP tomorrow night. I have been really looking forward to this hunt.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Got to Choke Canyon SP yesterday afternoon right before sunset. This place is really pretty and there are deer all over the place. Today is the day

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Thanks hoyt21 and BrokenJ.
                                Orientation at 11 and we will draw for compartments

Comment

Working...
                                X