Cattle Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunswayne View Post
    It depends on breed, use and popularity. I've seen both registered and unregistered go from 1K to 5K per heifer/ cow. Bulls are a different story. I have a zebu bull calf that is papered and cost $500(currently trying to find him some girlfriends). I also have a dexter/mini Hereford bull that cost me very little. He is destined for the freezer or someone elses pasture. My dad is currently running dexter/mini Hereford crosses and breeding to an Aberdeen Angus bull. He's only interested in meat production. I'm going the registered route and may eventually get the kids into showing them. There are lots of mini pages on FB.

How do you like the Zebus ? I’m thinking of getting 3 heifers and a bull .

Comment

Better get some Longhorns !
      Most hardy and disease and sickness resistant cows on this planet.
      Herefords are notorious for pink eye and other health issues.

Comment

I'd think, a couple Black Angus would do fine...........

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
          How do you like the Zebus ? I’m thinking of getting 3 heifers and a bull .
          I raised Brahmas growing up. These are the little version without the attitude. Well adapted to our climate. I just like the looks of them. There's no telling what color you will get with the offspring. My little bull will mature around 36" to 38" tall and 4-500lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
            x2 on Dexters. We got three (2 full blood 1 cross/mini jersey). So far they've done great on my place in the hill country. I went with these mainly because some friends at church raises them. As I was looking into it I found they not only eat grass but also browse too. We have 12 acres and I have the back ten fenced off for them. So far super easy to deal with and when I call them now they come running up like our dogs.

X3 on Dexters. I have a couple on my five acres. Great disposition, easy to handle. I haven’t butchired one yet but beef is suppose to be great.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              If you want a constant headache go ahead and get some goats

Biggest PIA critters I have ever owned

Parasite magnets, like said above you need a fence that will hold water, need feet trimmed if you don't have rocky soil and that is just for starters

I would go with a couple of steers and when the grass starts to fade slaughter one and sell the other
              I second this! If the grass is good you might could handle 3 with some supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                Which livestock depends on the fences.
                Ain’t that the truth... I’ve got Corrientes right now and them suckers can jump a fence like a deer if they’re pressured.

Comment

Working...
                X